I saw " Man Of Steel " at a midnight show last night/this ayem .

Briefly , I have sort of a liking for super-hero stuff that follows a litle bit more a " real ' science fiction approach - While , admittedly , basically still sticking to the structure of fights and conflict in the story .

MOS rather fulfilled that .

It explored how the Superman concept might've been set up , the whole Krypotn thing , and how it might work out down on Earth , pretty well .

Well , i thought so .

Views: 3241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have any problem with them including Krypton in the movie. I just think they were really unimaginative, giving us a dystopian Krypton and starting the movie with it. I think any reboot will include the origin, just as the new reboot of Spidey did, even though he hadn't been gone long, and it's probably nearly as well known as Superman's origin.

But that's why the second movie in these trilogies seems to be the one everyone favors. It's gotten all that stuff we all know out of the way, and it hasn't ramped up the villains and carnage as far as the third one has to go to seem bigger than #2.

I would argue that someone who doesn't know Superman or Spider-Man isn't about to plunk down $15 or whatever to find out at this point. It's not of interest, and the producers don't care about those people. There's a big enough audience who has an idea of who he is and can be talked into wanting to see him in action with Lois Lane today. That's why you license Superman rather than remake Hancock.

Red2 and RIPD are both from comic books, but nobody knows that. Its source isn't important, its how well they're known. Superman may not be known to everyone everywhere, but why change the stuff that is known to a lot of people unless it is so bad (apparently, the trunks) that it might turn off someone brand new?

I'd be curious if those people who didn't care about snapping Zod's neck know the name Jor-El. If not, why use one but ditch the other? Killing is not so much the hallmark of a superhero movie that it had to be there to make the movie a success, and it stood out to those who know Superman's history.

-- MSA

Did they not use the name Jor-EL in the movie? I didn’t even notice.

I may retool/re-administer my little survey. Actually, I’ll think about it but I probably won’t do it. I invite anyone reading this to survey his friends, however. I, for one, would be interested in reading the results, regardless of how small the sampling is.

I don't really have a problem with them including Krypton in the movie, either, except I think it could have been done in flashback later in the film (as you suggested). In “my” film, I may even save it until the sequel. I (sadly) agree with you that any reboot will include the origin, although I continue to question its necessity. When John Byrne rebooted Superman in the comic book Man of Steel, he too started the story on Krypton, but I later read an interview in which he said he wished he hadn’t. He could have just as easily saved it until issue #6, in which Clark learned of his true origins.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Did they not use the name Jor-EL in the movie? I didn’t even notice.

They did.

Generally, I like it when a movie plays around with sequencing and chronology.

In the case of Man of Steel though, I think it was essential that the movie begin with the destruction of Krypton. After all, the entire plot is built around the idea that Zod is a fanatic about preserving/restoring/rebuilding Krypton. And his motivation for attacking Superman is based on the fact that Superman has the codex for restoring the entire Kryptonian race. On top of that, Superman’s internal struggle (in this movie) is that he doesn’t feel accepted on earth but can’t be with his own people unless he allows earth to be destroyed. If you wait until later in the story to depict the destruction of Krypton, I think it loses a bit of its gravitas in terms of plot and character development.

Not directly on the topic of the movie, but my library was sent a poster for the movie and some bookmarks to give away. A couple of weeks before the movie premier I set up a Superman display with an assortment of Superman GNs (emphasizing the newer ones on the poster, which were Superman: Earth One; Superman: Last Son of Krypton; Superman For Tomorrow; All-Star Superman; and the New 52 Action Comics Vol.1). I got a tremendous response. The bookmarks were all gone in a few days, and the GNs got checked out so quickly that I had to refresh the supply a couple of times a day, for weeks. So there is certainly interest in the character. I can't believe all that activity was generated by people who were already fans.

Before seeing the movie my thought was "oh no, the origin story again", but as 'tec 445 mentions above it was needed to set up Zod as the villain. I also liked the portrayal of Jor El as something of a heroic figure in his own right... and I liked the bit about Kal being the first naturally born baby on Krypton in upmty ump years, making him special and different from his very birth.

Before seeing the movie, my thought was, "Oh, no, the origin story again," but, as Detective 445 mentions above, it was needed to set up Zod as the villain ... 

... which makes me ask, did they HAVE to? I thought they weren't doing yet another sequel to the Christopher Reeve movies; I thought they were starting fresh. I guess "fresh" means no Luthor, and I am happy about that, but I really could have done without retreading that ground all over again. 

We should have a like' button around here...

Except for the bit about people reading Superman: Earth One.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

Not directly on the topic of the movie, but my library was sent a poster for the movie and some bookmarks to give away. A couple of weeks before the movie premier I set up a Superman display with an assortment of Superman GNs (emphasizing the newer ones on the poster, which were Superman: Earth One; Superman: Last Son of Krypton; Superman For Tomorrow; All-Star Superman; and the New 52 Action Comics Vol.1). I got a tremendous response. The bookmarks were all gone in a few days, and the GNs got checked out so quickly that I had to refresh the supply a couple of times a day, for weeks. So there is certainly interest in the character. I can't believe all that activity was generated by people who were already fans.

...Someone at YT thinks that the 1970s incarnation of a certain - Memphis-associated !!!!! - country star " looks like Superman's father from the original movie " !!!!!!!!!

In many cases half of the first movie is devoted to the origin story.

Here's the one-minute intro to the original Superman TV show. It tells anybody who doesn't know anything about the character what they need to know to follow the story:

Superman TV Intro

A nifty little video: How "Man of Steel" Should Have Ended. See here.

Thanks for this, and for pointing out the How It Should Have Ended site.

ClarkKent_DC said:

A nifty little video: How "Man of Steel" Should Have Ended. See here.

I finally saw this over the weekend (via a DVD from my library), and thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of burying it in the "Movies I've Seen Lately" discussion. I have no argument with any of the criticisms above. Yes, there are some things that are out of character in a fundamental way. And I agree that Krypton's portrayal was unimaginative, and far too much time was spent on it. Related to that, I thought the Kryptonian helmets/breathing devices that showed up on Earth were incredibly stupid looking, but that's a small detail.

The big problem is that the whole movie works only moderately well just looked at as an action movie. It's just so lunkheaded: show the origin story again (even though just about everybody already knows it), then get to the massively destructive fight scenes as soon as possible. I was totally ready for the fighting to be over when Zod got up for the final sequence. In fact, the whole idea of hanging the plot on Zod again is so unimaginative that I'm surprised it survived the original pitching process for the movie.

Being a glutton for punishment, I may watch it again before returning it. Or not.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
15 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Actually, that's not entirely true. I did buy one addition issue, #129. VERTIGO: I…"
26 minutes ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"National Roller Coaster Day?  I did not know that! Fortunately, I've got lots of roller…"
36 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
""Oh, wow.. that's kind of dizzying..." I used to have a theory to explain, in story,…"
51 minutes ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"I'll get to this week's releases soon, but I wanted to mention that DC just put all of…"
1 hour ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Today is National Rollercoaster Day here in the United States and this is the only one I've…"
1 hour ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"Oh, wow.. that's kind of dizzying... I love it!  Although in the name of simplicity, I…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman - "Season of Mists"
"When I first learned that our friend was interested in reading Sandman, I immediately offered to…"
5 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion "The Flash" movie star Ezra Miller busted for burglary
"Ezra Miller has issued an apology for his actions and legal troubles. Well, if he's sorry,…"
6 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I don't know what kind of act Storm would do besides ruining everybody's day at the…"
6 hours ago
doc photo replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Paul Coker Jr., of MAD Magazine and Rankin/Bass TV specials
"Coker had a very recognizable style. Knowing his work from Mad, one could easily spot his hand on…"
6 hours ago
MethodEng replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
6 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service