From our previous discussion(s), the most recent in the 12 Questions thread, the Dobie Gillis DVD is being released on July 2. It's a mere $97.99 for 3600 minutes on TWENTY disks!

http://www.amazon.com/Many-Loves-Dobie-Gillis-Complete/dp/B00C7A8WW...

-- MSA

Views: 1461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr. Silver Age said:

Some caught on,

I don't see BB any more (and don't especially miss it), but what I was seeing was that few of his peers, except for Zero and Killer, ever show up these days. Maybe the two-panel rhythm doesn't give them enough room to do anything.
There was also the Chaplain (he may still appear sporadically), the sergeant of ‘B’ company, and Julius, the general’s driver (who could have easily been revealed to be gay had Walker wanted to go in that direction).
Perhaps Plato (the philosopher), Rocky (the delinquent), and Cosmo (the Bilko type) were too wed to the 50s era. For that matter, I don’t think Lt. Flap (the militant black) shows up much anymore either.

Castor Oyl and Ham Gravy probably weren't happy when Popeye showed up in Thimble Theater.

Probably not, but Olive got a boyfriend and a film career, so she made out all right.

I was reading about the short-lived Fantastic Journey recently. Apparently the character Lianna (Katie Saylor) missed the last two episodes due to the actress's illness. However, her absence was explained by a line of dialogue.

Commando Cody said:

There was also the Chaplain (he may still appear sporadically), the sergeant of ‘B’ company, and Julius, the general’s driver (who could have easily been revealed to be gay had Walker wanted to go in that direction).
Perhaps Plato (the philosopher), Rocky (the delinquent), and Cosmo (the Bilko type) were too wed to the 50s era. For that matter, I don’t think Lt. Flap (the militant black) shows up much anymore either.

I still follow Beetle Bailey. All of the characters you mention still appear. Since there is only so much room they don't appear all the time. They've also introduced a new character, Gizmo, who is a guy deeply involved in technology. They have Miss Buxley dating Beetle exclusively. I think they do better sticking to the 50s vibe for the most part. There were a weird few days a year or so back when they tried to update the uniforms, etc. Boy that didn't work!

...Are you aware that the question of Julius' sexuality has been a somewhat discussed/joked-about truism/" thing people say " ?

( I do not know , and won't speculate , as to whether there was any intent upon Mort/the other Walker Studios employees to have Julius be gay - We've been through that here with Sgt. Rock already !!!!!!!!!!! - I am saying that such a narrative/story exists . )

I guess one could bring up Mr. Burns and Smithers in THE SIMPSONS but in that case I believe it's (more or less , anyway) explicitly acknowledged by the Team Groening production crew !

Does anybody here see the published-in-Sweden original comic book material versions of Beetle Bailey , which I may or may not have brought up here before , Walker Shop-produced ? ?

I can believe it, but since they never made any gags surrounding it (unlike with Smithers), it doesn't much matter. Many of them could've been gay, based on the lack of evidence to the contrary. 

I don't see the Swedish comics regularly, but I wrote an article on BB for Hogan's Alley, and I got a bunch of those comics as research. The BB gag writers have a very 1950s Playboy-ish attitude toward risque, but then so does the American newspaper industry overall. Most of that stuff isn't really raunchy, it's just titilating.

-- MSA

...I am aware that the Swedish BBs do periodic " NAUGHTY Gags! " issues , w/both Miss Buxley and Sarge-git-nekkid (Seperately ! Well , I assume .) jokes .

As far as " Naughty " , I assume you've seen the last week of PEARLS BEFORE SWINE , with these " You can't say ###### " Breaking Bad-referencing jokes ?

Ms. Buxley has apparently replaced Bunny as Beetle Bailey's girlfriend. Bunny was his girl back home, and I can only assume that we won't be seeing her again. (Bunny, I'm told, replaced a previous girlfriend, Buzz.) Buxley's present role gives her something to do after it was mandated that she should no longer be the target of the General's leering attentions.

I was wondering why Beetle and Miss Buxley seemed to be a couple; previously, she never gave him the time of day. 

...To-morrow , ME-TV's very-early Sunday rerun of DG is an episode described as " The last of the Army episodes " .

Was Dobie depicted as joing the Reserves/National Guard (necesseating a less complete & lengthy break from the show's established situation than a full-out joining up with the " sleepaway " military would have) towards the series' end ?

I just saw on Wikipedia that the show was , at times , officially titled both simply " DOBIE GILLIS " ~ and also was known at some pojnt/s as " MAX SHULMAN'S DOBIE GILLIS " .

Did you think that the author of " POTATOES ARE CHEAPER " was at the above-the-title level of Stephen King and Danielle Steel ???????????

These sort of retitlings are often for post-first run syndication/rereun repackagings , but the implication seemed to be that this was for the shows' first runs .

Thee SGT. BILKO series was variously , too , THE PHIL SILVERS SHOW and (The first one , I believe .) YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH ~ which certainly implies a , certainly for 50s TV , naughty word !!!!!!!!!!!

There's more of a tendency on modern-day TV to revert to the original , as on the initial showing , title & title sequence , but not absolutely I guess .

Well...off to the Riddler meeting Wonder Woman !!!!!!!!!!!

For the last 15 episodes of Season Two (after an initial 20), Dobie and Maynard (and Chatsworth) joined the actual Army. They'd graduated from high school and mistakenly enlisted. Oops. It's a pretty big change of approach.

It lasted through the beginning of Season Three, which started with his honorable discharge and his enrolling in junior college, where his high school teacher had become a professor. How convenient.  

I don't think I've ever seen any of the Army ones, which means there are quite a few I haven't seen. Considering there were 35 or so per season, there probably are  a lot I haven't seen. I need to catch up.

-- MSA 

Mr. Silver Age said:

I don't think I've ever seen any of the Army ones, which means there are quite a few I haven't seen. Considering there were 35 or so per season, there probably are a lot I haven't seen. I need to catch up.

Since the complete DVD collection came out, Netflix has had the disks available by mail. So far, in between other things, I'm about half way through season one.

I haven't seen the ones where they all accidentally join the Army. It's a little odd because In the first half of season one, Bob Denver actually got a draft notice and they wrote it into the series as Maynard getting drafted. They had a cousin of Maynard (portrayed by a very young Michael J. Pollard) move into Dobie's house for one episode playing Maynard by another name. Dobie went to see Maynard in basic training and Maynard was taking to the Army like a fish to water. Maynard left in episode 5 and was back in episode 7 after Denver failed his physical in the real world. They contradicted themselves by saying they discharged Maynard as not fitting in when two episodes earlier they showed him fitting in amazingly well.

Although I've probably seen every episode of Dobie at least once, and own the entire set on DVD, I haven't gotten around to watching the army episodes again yet. As I recall, they kind of had a "Gomer Pyle" feel to them, which is fine for Gomer, but didn't really feel much like the classic Dobie show. The last two seasons, set at S. Peter Pryor Junior College, were much better, although the quality was a bit choppy, veering from really silly slapstick to philosophical and often quite poignant musings on life itself. For my money, the best episodes came in season one, though season three is very good as well.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service