Replies

• I love surreal stuff that doesn't make much sense. Must be why I produce so much of it.
  • "Hind leg" was not my first thought.
  • The Comics Curmudgeon has a lot to say about this strip- check out joshreads.com
  • Mr. Satanism said:
    The Comics Curmudgeon has a lot to say about this strip- check out joshreads.com

Yeah, that's the site that got me started reading Mark Trail again.
  • The funny thing is - when I was a kid, the local paper only ran Mark Trail on Sundays. The other six days they ran something called Buz Sawyer, as I recall. It was years before I found out that Mark had advenutres of his own, and didn't just pop up on Sundays to talk about animals.
  • Mark Trail: Terrorizing young boys since 1946.
    (from here)
  • Buz Sawyer was a long-running adventure strip created and owned by Roy Crane. Crane had earlier created Wash Tubbs, which evolved into one of the first and best-regarded adventure strips, and its spin-off Captain Easy. According to Lambiek he retired from Sawyer in the 60s, so by the time you remember it may have been in the hands of his successors.
  • I remember Buz Sawyer from when I was a kid. However, the Sunday strips were given over to "his pal, Roscoe Sweeney," and, as I recall, weren't half as adventuresome or interesting.
  • From what I can tell Sweeney was the star of the Sunday version from an early stage. According to Toonopedia Crane had handed the Sunday over to others by the late 40s.
  • Ron Goulart has pointed out that Joe Shuster's style was modelled after Crane's (as it was in his Wash Tubbs years).
This reply was deleted.