I wanted to post a few thoughts on this one-shot book without sprinkling too many spoilers in other threads.  I don't think I'll have the energy to track this "event" the way I did with Secret Empire though. In any case:

Marvel Legacy #1

I can't really fault Marvel for wanting to do this. They are in a bit of a slump and it seems like a no-brainer to try and recapture some of what the older readers say they want.  At the same time it seems to me that what readers say they want or think they want doesn't always equate with what they are actually willing to buy or read. 

Most of the art here looks great and Jason Aaron does his usual solid job with the writing.  However, this reads a little bit like a hybrid of DC's Rebirth and Metal books. We start off by learning that there is a secret history of the Marvel U involving caveman era super heroes and celestials. How can this be? Anyone who follows Marvel continuity knows it's not possible. Stay tuned..

The rest of the issue mostly sets up scenarios by which various dead heroes are returning. They are, of course, the iconic older heroes that Marvel has largely been ignoring.  And we see what appears to be a new direction for Wakanda and a hint at a Fantastic Four reunion.  Again, how is this possible? What's the mechanism?

In a way, this story is a sort of sequel to the Secret Wars series. The continuity that was created by Reed Richards at the end of Secret Wars appears to have been manipulated once again. This time by Valeria Richards.  Why does she need prehistoric super heroes, Celestials and Infinity Stones to be a part of this? Not clear yet. Apparently she wants everything to be "ridiculous" and "magical."   It all sounds a bit too derivative of the stuff we saw in the Rebirth comic if you ask me.

I'm not sure what I'll actually buy yet. I'll probably mostly just stick with the stuff I already follow. But something like a new Marvel Two-In-One comic does ring the nostalgia bell a little bit.

What about tie-ins you ask?

Views: 1285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been buying it monthly, so I'm not sure what trades are out,. I'll have to think on that one.

I've been getting SpiderGwen in TPB. If you can find it, start with Spider-Gwen Vol. 0: Most Wanted? It collects the first five issues of the book. 

Thanks, Richard!

Don't think that lets you off the hook, Baron. I want your recommendation, too!

Here we go again:

* Hawkeye #13: I'm not familiar with writer Kelly Thompson, but she's got the same vibe going as Matt Fraction, when he re-invented the Battling Bowman as a screw-up who's really only good at fighting bad guys. And I like the sibling bond between Clint and Katie, which is more pronounced here than in the Fraction days. And her dialogue is sparkly. So thumbs up on this one.

* Gwenpool #23: I'm still tepid on this title, probably because of the manga-influenced art, but I'm giving it an extra-long test because the Baron likes it. He's got pretty good taste. I have no new observations to record here, however.

* Guardians of the Galaxy #146-48: Looks like the story is heading to Knowhere and Cosmo, one of my favorite characters. (A talking Russian dog! Ochen xorosho!) So that's good. Not really excited by this title otherwise, especially the art, although I'm glad to see the Nova Corps get re-built.

* Doctor Strange #382: Interesting title. This particular issue is a heart-tugger, as even when he's trying to be a good guy, Loki is still dangerous and untrustworthy. And I guessed who Strange was trying to contact at the end, but even when it became reality, I had a moment of disbelief. I have no idea where this will go.

* Captain America #696: I was genuinely afraid that Cap would have to go through a "hated and feared by a world he tries to protect" phase, and I've had a bellyful of that from X-books. After being dragged through the mud by Nick Spencer, this character needs a return to greatness -- or at least normality. As someone on this board noted, we haven't seen a status quo Captain America since before Dimension Z -- and that was four or five years ago. So these last two issues have been a balm, where the Living Legend of WWII has been enthusiastically embraced wherever he's gone. I hear there's a big storyline coming up which will probably change everything -- again -- so I'll enjoy these issues while I can.

* Black Bolt #8: So they kill the ever-more-interesting Absorbing Man, and we get the really badly designed "Blinky" as a new, writer's-fave character. Error! Error! I'm sure Crusher will be back some day, but I hope this book isn't here to see it. It can be canceled any time with no tears from me.

* Avengers #674: Well, I didn't see that coming. Glad to see they're not even pretending that popular character is dead, although the other characters think so. This book is old-fashioned Marvel (especially the art, thank Odin), so I like it. I might even get the TPBs after my Legacy sampling ends.

* All-New Wolverine #25-27: I asked for a Wolver-culling, and that's what this title is promising. So, yay? Also, when did Daken become a good guy -- Axis? Not used to that. Still, with the original Wolverine back, you could kill off all the Wolverines except original recipe and Laura and I'd be good.

* Ben Reilly, the Scarlet Spider #10: What's the point? Pass.

* She-Hulk #159: I miss the old, light-hearted She-Hulk titles, but obviously they didn't sell, so they're trying this direction. Not for me, especially with the manga wannabe art.

* Jean Grey #8-9: I really like redheads, so this is a pretty attractive book! But seriously, I'm glad they're not sweeping what Emma did under the rug (consequences!), and that they're taking the Phoenix issue head on. Let's get that behind us, settle down to fewer redheads and Phoenixes-to-be and tighten all this up. We have too many versions of Jean (and I'm including Rachel Grey in that) which thoroughly dilutes the character. There should only be one.

Liked the art, though.

* Monsters Unleashed #7-8: This follows a kid who can draw monsters who then come to life. It reminds me of 1970s Saturday morning cartoons, and not in a good way.

* The Punisher #218: Frank -- who now looks like Jon Bernthal -- is given the War Machine armor by Nick Fury Jr. Might be fun until the status quo inevitably returns. I actually knew all that going in, and learned nothing new in this issue.

* Spider-Man/Deadpool #23-24: Enjoyable, but I may be fooled by the Chris Bachalo art. (I will love any book Chris Bachalo draws.) But the shark dialogue was genuinely funny -- and, honest, isn't any book promising "shark dialogue" worth a look? -- and DP is appropriately quippy. The downside is that whenever Deadpool breaks the fourth wall, the other characters have to be portrayed as idiots who don't understand what he just said. In a world where everyone is aware of parallel worlds and other dimensions, characters (especially Spider-Man) should be hyper-aware of such things as people addressing the unseen.

* Venom #155-58: I put this one off 'til last, because of my distaste for the character. However, I am enjoying the Mark Bagley art, and the appearance of Kraven, an old-school Marvel villain.

* Amazing Spider-Man #789-91: Once again, glad to see an old-school penciller, in this case Stuart Immonen. I see that they're trying to bring Spidey back to status quo, but I'm not sure that's possible, with the whole world now familiar with Parker (and hating him). And he's sleeping with Mockingbird? That's ... weird. This still isn't my Spider-Man, although it's close enough for Uncanny Valley. Still not thrilled.

* Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #13: I was expecting a sort of Spider-Girl vibe, but this May Parker is younger, and called Annie. And while I didn't see her in action, Mary Jane is suiting up? With no powers? Newsflash: Women (and most men) can't swing around with all their weight on their arms. Sigh. And why is a super-model wearing such a hideous outfit? Honest, as much as I liked this concept when it was an MC2 book, I found nothing at all to like here.

* Spider-Man #234-35: Looks like high school romantic hi-jinks, which I might enjoy more if I knew who any of these people are. As it is, there's only the Spider-Man angle as a possible draw, and I saw the teen-Spider-Man-learns-the-ropes bit done better by Lee/Ditko and Bendis/Bagley. (BTW, the legacy numbers are once again absurd. Mile Morales probably hasn't appeared in 235 comics books total, much less headlined a title that long.)

* Luke Cage #166-67: Who knew the Ringmaster could be dangerous? Anyway, I like the post-Bendis Luke Cage a lot more than the pre-Bendis version, so I enjoy seeing him here.

* Power Pack #63: Ho-hum.

* Venom Inc. Alpha: Good lord, there's no end to it.

* Spirits of Vengeance #3: As I said about the first two issues, this Gischler fella is being pretty imaginative with the old (and often tedious) angel vs. devil/heaven vs. hell storyline. I like the words. The art could stand to be darker, though.

* X-Men Gold #17: Oh no! Rachel Grey is badly injured and may not return! Oh no! Nightcrawler is badly injured and may be dead! Oh, please. Neither is going anywhere. Bleah. Faux drama. One bit of good news: I hear Rachel Grey won't be going by Prestige any more. Good -- it was a stupid name. And roughly her 1,000th name. Maybe they'll stick with the next one. And here's an idea: Make her interesting, if she's going to stick around. Otherwise, kill her off for real. She's incredibly redundant.

Also, didn't like the art. May have colored my opinion a bit.

* Iceman #8: Confirmed: I don't enjoy this title.

* Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #13: I was expecting a sort of Spider-Girl vibe, but this May Parker is younger, and called Annie. And while I didn't see her in action, Mary Jane is suiting up? With no powers? Newsflash: Women (and most men) can't swing around with all their weight on their arms. Sigh. And why is a super-model wearing such a hideous outfit? Honest, as much as I liked this concept when it was an MC2 book, I found nothing at all to like here.

This is the only monthly Marvel comic I'm getting these days. (I get Spider-Gwen and Squirrel Girl in TPB.) Issue #13 was probably not a good jumping-on point for anyone. Prior to this, Annie May was a pre-teen with spider-powers. They slowly allowed her to join them in costume fighting bad guys (and you thought Bruce Wayne was taking chances). Mary Jane does have spider-powers, which was not explained in this issue. Peter, being your standard comics genius scientist, figured out how to share his powers with her. When she uses them, neither of them are full strength. Annie May has her own inherited spider-powers. I don't expect a lot from the book, but it gives me a pre-Mephisto fix, though not as good as the MC2 Spider-Girl.

Thanks, Richard. You gave me a better handle on this title than this "introductory" issue did!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service