I wanted to post a few thoughts on this one-shot book without sprinkling too many spoilers in other threads.  I don't think I'll have the energy to track this "event" the way I did with Secret Empire though. In any case:

Marvel Legacy #1

I can't really fault Marvel for wanting to do this. They are in a bit of a slump and it seems like a no-brainer to try and recapture some of what the older readers say they want.  At the same time it seems to me that what readers say they want or think they want doesn't always equate with what they are actually willing to buy or read. 

Most of the art here looks great and Jason Aaron does his usual solid job with the writing.  However, this reads a little bit like a hybrid of DC's Rebirth and Metal books. We start off by learning that there is a secret history of the Marvel U involving caveman era super heroes and celestials. How can this be? Anyone who follows Marvel continuity knows it's not possible. Stay tuned..

The rest of the issue mostly sets up scenarios by which various dead heroes are returning. They are, of course, the iconic older heroes that Marvel has largely been ignoring.  And we see what appears to be a new direction for Wakanda and a hint at a Fantastic Four reunion.  Again, how is this possible? What's the mechanism?

In a way, this story is a sort of sequel to the Secret Wars series. The continuity that was created by Reed Richards at the end of Secret Wars appears to have been manipulated once again. This time by Valeria Richards.  Why does she need prehistoric super heroes, Celestials and Infinity Stones to be a part of this? Not clear yet. Apparently she wants everything to be "ridiculous" and "magical."   It all sounds a bit too derivative of the stuff we saw in the Rebirth comic if you ask me.

I'm not sure what I'll actually buy yet. I'll probably mostly just stick with the stuff I already follow. But something like a new Marvel Two-In-One comic does ring the nostalgia bell a little bit.

What about tie-ins you ask?

Views: 3123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Comics said:

Hollywood Reporter says it's a character called Voyager, whose mystery is just beginning.

Also, shouldn't that be Ant-Man, not Giant-Man in the statue? Plus, Iron Man's wearing the wrong armor. Plus Captain America shouldn't be there. And where's The Wasp?

It ain't yo' daddy's Avengers! 

I wonder if this could be an attempt to somehow "fix" Hank Pym's history.  And I won't be shocked if Voyager turns out to be Valeria.

I wonder if she'll turn out to be marvel's equivalent of Harbinger from Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Let's try this again:

Randy Jackson said:

The Cap pose immediately reminded me of Steranko, and here you go. The Iron Man one is familiar, but I'm not placing it.

The Iron Man cover is similar to this one:

Which reminds me a little bit of:

I think the image from the #421 cover was reproduced in one of the movies. I recall seeing it in ad.

First of all, thanks for starting this discussion, ‘Tec. I was hoping you would.

“They [Marvel] are in a bit of a slump and it seems like a no-brainer to try and recapture some of what the older readers say they want.”

The editorial pages at the end show they’re really trying (maybe too hard?).

“Anyone who follows Marvel continuity knows it's not possible.”

“1,000,000 years ago”!? One million? Odin is a million years old? Sometimes it seems as if writers don’t know the difference between one thousand, one hundred thousand, or one million. That section got the story off to a bad start AFAIAC.

“…a new direction for Wakanda…”

Yeah, in space!?

“…a hint at a Fantastic Four reunion.”

Just the Thing and the Torch, I think.

“Again, how is this possible? What's the mechanism?”

That’s another thing that put me off: the unknown narrator. Comic book writers utilize this trick every once in a while, and it almost never works to my satisfaction. Usually (as here) I spend the entire time trying to guess who it is. Then it ends up being… Valeria Richards? Fail.

“I'm not sure what I'll actually buy yet.”

I’ll buy the new Captain America (for sure) and I’ll try the new Falcon. Waid and Samnee are a no-brainer, but I’m unfamiliar with either the writer or the artist of Falcon. Too bad Nick Spencer didn’t carry over. I may also give the new Two-In-One a look.

You may think I’d be pleased with the “legacy” numbering (and I am), but some of those numbers were apparently pulled from Axel Alonso’s arse. No, I know they represent the sum of various series lumped together, but those numbers don’t look “natural” to me. (Because they aren’t.)

And I guess I’ll just mention it here that yesterday’s Generations: Captain America was one of the best new comic books I have read this year. I was wondering how Steve Rogers was going to get his shield back and under what circumstances Sam Wilson was going to give up being Captain America. (I mean, even Captain Hydra Steve didn’t take the shield away from him.) This comic tells that story and I’m perfectly pleased with it. It employs a storytelling device I have seen before, but seldom utilized as well as it is here.

There was one other time Marvel tried legacy numbering, and I tried to figure out what they were counting and what they were dis-counting -- and that time the numbers seemed to be pulled out of someone's rear end. I assumed that would be the case here as well.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

You may think I’d be pleased with the “legacy” numbering (and I am), but some of those numbers were apparently pulled from Axel Alonso’s arse. No, I know they represent the sum of various series lumped together, but those numbers don’t look “natural” to me. (Because they aren’t.)

Yeah, it's kind of random. Why did't Hawkeye, Jessica Jones, The Champions, or the Defenders get legacy numbering? Why is MTIO starting at #1?

Having just read Marvel Legacy, I definitely got a Final Crisis vibe from it. It feels like it's going to be one of those "Everything-You-Know-Is-Wrong" stories.

Also on my mind:

• Odin wielding Mjolnir is so wrong, mythologically speaking. I know there were some Silver Age comics that showed this before but it annoys me for some reason.
  • Starbrand now, then, whenever will always be meh to me.
  • Ghost Rider with a car is Ghost Driver. 
  • I think all the Fantastic Four stuff is just a red herring to promote the new Marvel Two-In-One book. With so many girl geniuses out there, why bring back Reed? Besides the Thing is the popular one and the Human Torch concept is pre-FF so that could circumvent the movie deal.
  • Along with Avengers #11, they are really driving home that Sam Wilson doesn't want to be Captain America anymore.
  • The return: Was he ever really away?

The Voyager name puts me in mind of the movie Now, Voyager (1942), which took its title from a Walt Whitman poem:

The untold want, by life and land ne'er granted,

Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

Philip Portelli said:

Odin wielding Mjolnir is so wrong, mythologically speaking. I know there were some Silver Age comics that showed this before but it annoys me for some reason.
This is something I've always had an issue with. Either all the heroes are worthy, or only Thor. I dislike the whole "Thor is the only one who's worthy--unless we say otherwise" trope. It's one of the problems with magic that's been repeated here ad nauseum--if anything can happen, why should we care?
  • I think all the Fantastic Four stuff is just a red herring to promote the new Marvel Two-In-One book. With so many girl geniuses out there, why bring back Reed? Besides the Thing is the popular one and the Human Torch concept is pre-FF so that could circumvent the movie deal.

While I personally want the entire Fantastic Four back, it does seem as if every possible effort has gone into turning Reed into a villain, especially the alternate Earth versions of him.

I couldn't buy Reed doing the things he did in Civil War, even if he thought he was right. Tony Stark, maybe, because he's at heart an engineer, and ends might justify means, as long as you solve the problem. But Reed is a Boy Scout, and wouldn't do those things.

Then errrrybody was blowing up planets to save Earth in Time Runs Out, and I found that hard to believe as well. A prettier solution would have been to bring Dr. Doom in to the Illuminati -- "It's your planet, too, Victor" -- and then when the only solution anyone could fine was to blow up populated planets, our heroes would refuse, but Von Doom would go rogue and do it himself. The heroes would try to stop him (and fail), and then he'd believe himself to be the hero in his own mind and needle the heroes about it. ("I saved the world when none of you would lift a finger!") That would ring truer to me, characterization-wise, than what Hickman wrote. But that wouldn't get us to the end he wanted, would it?

So, yeah, they've dirtied Reed up a bit in an implausible fashion. (Needless to say, I think what they did to Cyclops is in the same vein -- improbable, unnecessary and a violation of prior characterization). If they bring the whole FF back, I hope when they come up with a new "kewl" way to screw up Reed, they graft it onto the already-evil Ultimate Reed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022
"I used to joke about looking forward to the day when there would be wrestling comics, because I…"
17 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
38 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022
"Homage alert! Did you forget something Tony? Going into battle without a helmet seems reckless.…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
2 hours ago
Captain Comics posted a discussion

Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022

<p style="clear: both;">BOOM!BRIAR #1…See More
3 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"One "good" sea monster deserves another. (Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)"
3 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"No word yet. Looks like it'll be Friday. "
3 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"This one was a treasured gem in my collection! "
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"Before delving into the John Byrne era, I would like to take a slightly-out-of-order look at the…"
5 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"They'd be idiots not to renew it.Not that they aren't idiots."
6 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion The New Season (2022)
"We watched Quantum Leap last night. I liked it well enough, despite the soft pretzel guy not…"
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Either that or (more likely) it's a case of DC's writers and editors being unaware of…"
8 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service