I wanted to post a few thoughts on this one-shot book without sprinkling too many spoilers in other threads.  I don't think I'll have the energy to track this "event" the way I did with Secret Empire though. In any case:

Marvel Legacy #1

I can't really fault Marvel for wanting to do this. They are in a bit of a slump and it seems like a no-brainer to try and recapture some of what the older readers say they want.  At the same time it seems to me that what readers say they want or think they want doesn't always equate with what they are actually willing to buy or read. 

Most of the art here looks great and Jason Aaron does his usual solid job with the writing.  However, this reads a little bit like a hybrid of DC's Rebirth and Metal books. We start off by learning that there is a secret history of the Marvel U involving caveman era super heroes and celestials. How can this be? Anyone who follows Marvel continuity knows it's not possible. Stay tuned..

The rest of the issue mostly sets up scenarios by which various dead heroes are returning. They are, of course, the iconic older heroes that Marvel has largely been ignoring.  And we see what appears to be a new direction for Wakanda and a hint at a Fantastic Four reunion.  Again, how is this possible? What's the mechanism?

In a way, this story is a sort of sequel to the Secret Wars series. The continuity that was created by Reed Richards at the end of Secret Wars appears to have been manipulated once again. This time by Valeria Richards.  Why does she need prehistoric super heroes, Celestials and Infinity Stones to be a part of this? Not clear yet. Apparently she wants everything to be "ridiculous" and "magical."   It all sounds a bit too derivative of the stuff we saw in the Rebirth comic if you ask me.

I'm not sure what I'll actually buy yet. I'll probably mostly just stick with the stuff I already follow. But something like a new Marvel Two-In-One comic does ring the nostalgia bell a little bit.

What about tie-ins you ask?

Views: 2964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Prior to Marvel Legacy, Jason Aaron had already written an "untold origin" of Mjolnir story in the Thor comic which could possibly line up with what we saw in Legacy. I'm assuming he will give more details going forward. But there's no rule that says he can't rewrite Marvel history.  It's probably not the best idea but there's nothing to prevent it.

Where was this untold story, 'Tec? I'd like to read it, or at least know the particulars. Since the same author wrote it, chances are it will be taken into account.

Captain Comics said:

Where was this untold story, 'Tec? I'd like to read it, or at least know the particulars. Since the same author wrote it, chances are it will be taken into account.

It was in The Mighty Thor #12 (Oct 2016) which features the Jane Foster Thor. Here's a link to a basic summary if you're so inclined:

Ah, that explains some of Odin's dialogue, plus how the hammer preceded Thor. Thanks!

Detective 445 said:

It was in The Mighty Thor #12 (Oct 2016) which features the Jane Foster Thor. Here's a link to a basic summary if you're so inclined:

If I hadn't clicked on that link, 'Tec, I never would have known about the shovel-full of awesomeness that is Ghost Rider on a Flaming Mammoth.  So, you know, thanks.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

If I hadn't clicked on that link, 'Tec, I never would have known about the shovel-full of awesomeness that is Ghost Rider on a Flaming Mammoth.  So, you know, thanks.

Ha! Shovel-full is probably really appropriate in this case.

I got all of the first issues of Rebirth, so I figure I might as well get all the first issues of Legacy. Next week's Legacy books are:

*AVENGERS #672

*ICEMAN #6

*IRON FIST #72 (or 73?)

*JESSICA JONES #13

*ROYALS #9

*SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE #1

*VENOM #155

*X-MEN: GOLD #13

The only one I'm really looking forward to is Avengers, but I admit to some curiosity about the Blue/Gold X-Men teams, which I haven't read yet.

BTW, there was a Spirits of Vengeance title that ran 23 issues in the '90s. SoV is one of those Legacy titles that, for mysterious reasons, will NOT get legacy numbering. 

Iceman has had two four-issue miniseries, so conceivably Iceman #6 could take a legacy numbering of 14. I don't fault them for ignoring those numbers, since miniseries have never been counted as part of an ongoing title's numbering. But I kinda wish they would, just for filing purposes.

The thing that really shocks me is that there are 155 issues of Venom.

...155!

...of Venom!!

Yes, that's both sad and telling. I've always despised the character, but he's popular with the McFarlane-era fans. Or someone. I don't know because I don't travel in Venom-loving circles.

But as much as I've always wanted the character to go the eff away, fan pressure got him inserted into the third Spider-Man movie (when the director didn't want him). Then, not only have there been three Venom series in this century, but back in the '90s they did a series of Venom miniseries and one-shots that were kind of an ongoing series split into chapters. All of that added together comes to more than 150 books starring my least favorite Spider-character.

Come to think of it, you could make an argument for Jessica Jones #13 to be Jessica Jones #55. That's if you add in the 28 issues of Alias and the 14 issues of The Pulse.

But none of it makes much sense. The numbering for Thor #700 includes 82 issues of Journey into Mystery that he wasn't in. Heck, he wasn't even invented yet.

I haven't checked to see -- do the Dr. Strange, Hulk and Iron Man legacy numberings include the first 109 issues of Strange Tales, the first 57 issues of Tales to Astonish and first 38 issues of Tales of Suspense, respectively?

Also, I just want to say a couple of things about the retconned Avenger, Voyager:

SENTRY

and

JEWEL

and

AVENGER X

We've seen this concept of a forgotten Avenger three times already!

They're very forgetful folk. All those blows to the head.

Come to think of it, repetitive brain trauma could explain a lot of things in the MU over the last 30 years or so ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Today's Purchases:   Dark Crisis #2:  It's OK. So far this series…"
21 minutes ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I love how a show that almost nobody recalls received a few issues over at Gold Key. And I actually…"
1 hour ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"It was a long time before I could see that image of Lena the Hyena without it making my skin crawl."
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"VALIANT / UNITY: I got a bit carried away yesterday after reading Eternal Warrior #6-8 and set…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"Yeah, I decided to it pass because I like the story so much. I hope you enjoy it as much as I…"
2 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Since we failed to discuss Annie Live! when it aired, I dropped in a comment, here."
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"There's a whole sequence in the first Annie movie, that all other Annie movies copied, with an…"
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion "'Cause they taped it on only one day..." - NBC's The Sound of Music
"Somehow, we failed to talk about Annie Live! when it aired, although I did watch it and did enjoy…"
3 hours ago
doc photo replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Harvey Kurtzman
"I agree that the Feldstein version of Mad is the classic version. I first read Kurtzman's Mad…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"My recent reading, All In Color For a Dime (specifically the chapters which deal with E.C.…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Magnus Robot Fighter and his mother."
4 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service