I wanted to post a few thoughts on this one-shot book without sprinkling too many spoilers in other threads.  I don't think I'll have the energy to track this "event" the way I did with Secret Empire though. In any case:

Marvel Legacy #1

I can't really fault Marvel for wanting to do this. They are in a bit of a slump and it seems like a no-brainer to try and recapture some of what the older readers say they want.  At the same time it seems to me that what readers say they want or think they want doesn't always equate with what they are actually willing to buy or read. 

Most of the art here looks great and Jason Aaron does his usual solid job with the writing.  However, this reads a little bit like a hybrid of DC's Rebirth and Metal books. We start off by learning that there is a secret history of the Marvel U involving caveman era super heroes and celestials. How can this be? Anyone who follows Marvel continuity knows it's not possible. Stay tuned..

The rest of the issue mostly sets up scenarios by which various dead heroes are returning. They are, of course, the iconic older heroes that Marvel has largely been ignoring.  And we see what appears to be a new direction for Wakanda and a hint at a Fantastic Four reunion.  Again, how is this possible? What's the mechanism?

In a way, this story is a sort of sequel to the Secret Wars series. The continuity that was created by Reed Richards at the end of Secret Wars appears to have been manipulated once again. This time by Valeria Richards.  Why does she need prehistoric super heroes, Celestials and Infinity Stones to be a part of this? Not clear yet. Apparently she wants everything to be "ridiculous" and "magical."   It all sounds a bit too derivative of the stuff we saw in the Rebirth comic if you ask me.

I'm not sure what I'll actually buy yet. I'll probably mostly just stick with the stuff I already follow. But something like a new Marvel Two-In-One comic does ring the nostalgia bell a little bit.

What about tie-ins you ask?

Views: 2959

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about Alfred, Pa Kent, Effron the Sorcerer, Martin Stein, Hector Hammond, and the Guardians of the Universe?

I'll give ya Alfred.

Is Pa Kent balding?

I'm not familiar with Effron, but that reminds me of Dr. Druid.

I'll give ya Martin Stein.

I'll discount Hector Hammond and the Guardians because I was thinbking more of ordinary humans or supporting characters.

There was one guy in a Valiant book from the '90s I can't recall the name of.

Also Tony Stark's head of security (whose name also escapes me at the moment).

Victor Martinelli. The second Michelinie/Layton run added another candidate, Abe Zimmer.

The Silver Age Pa Kent had receding hair at the hairline (until he was rejuvenated), and Byrne drew him with receding hair too.

Effron fought Superman and Green Arrow in two stories in the 1970s.

A few more candidates: Doiby Dickles, Professor Potter, Jason Woodrue before his transformation, Vulko (from Aquaman), Oberon, Ikthon (from Sub-Mariner), Cornelius Van Lunt, Jonas Harrow (arguably), Gears Garvin, Carmen Pryde, the Penguin, the Red Ghost, Victorius (a 1970s Marvel villain), the Tinkerer, Sebastian Shaw, the Ventriloquist.

Myrwhydden is another case like the Guardians or Hammond (or Sinestro, for that matter). Also the Mindworm, and Smart Alec from Omega Flight.

It appears as if there are more than I thought.

This is the guy I was thinking of.

Uh oh, The Hollywood Reporter has announced more Marvel cancellations. Royals, Unbelievable Gwenpool, Hawkeye and Generation X all got the axe.

The article also notes that America, Luke Cage and Defenders are all absent from the March solicitations, but didn't get confirmation or denial. Captain Marvel is also absent, but the writer went on Twitter to say it wasn't canceled.

Ominous language in the solicits also suggests an end to Iceman and She-Hulk, but those also have no confirmations or denials.

All of these titles were included in Marvel Legacy.

None of these are surprises. I read Hawkeye and Generation X. I'll miss the former, although in retrospect it was primarily slightly better than average in terms of quality.

I liked the characters in Generatkion X but it had some of the ugliest art I' ve ever seen in a comic--including 90's comics.

Captain Comics said:

Uh oh, The Hollywood Reporter has announced more Marvel cancellations. Royals, Unbelievable Gwenpool, Hawkeye and Generation X all got the axe.

The article also notes that America, Luke Cage and Defenders are all absent from the March solicitations, but didn't get confirmation or denial. Captain Marvel is also absent, but the writer went on Twitter to say it wasn't canceled.

Ominous language in the solicits also suggests an end to Iceman and She-Hulk, but those also have no confirmations or denials.

All of these titles were included in Marvel Legacy.

Newsarama just confirmed Iceman is being canceled. And Secret Warriors is another title that isn't appearing in March. 

And it should be mentioned that any late Bendis book (like Defenders) can be explained by his being in the hospital for half a month. 

While I like the Iceman book, I didn't think that it would last long. Except for Wolverine, no X-Man had a successful solo run.

I didn't know you liked Iceman, Philip. I haven't been kind to it in my comments! Hope you weren't offended.

No, no. I get it. While I could sympathize with Bobby Drake and his new outlook on life and his worries about those around him accepting him, it was always a contrived outlook. Obviously, Marvel wanted a gay hero to have his own book that had "legacy" connected to it and Iceman fit that bill. 

But Bobby was another hero "made" gay when his entire history said otherwise. But that could be overlooked if the book had a solid direction which it didn't. I liked his interaction with Kitty and the Champions reunion but it never really went anywhere. 

Now if they had revealed Iceman to be gay and was in love with the Angel this entire time, that would have been interesting, dramatic and made a lot more sense!

Captain Comics said:

I didn't know you liked Iceman, Philip. I haven't been kind to it in my comments! Hope you weren't offended.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"I was always astonished at how many Golden Age characters had comedy sidekicks foisted off on them,…"
24 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"I like that he's "not a bad guy" after almost cutting off a man's arm."
37 minutes ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Yes-- stated, first episode, in Shirley's vo ("My husband had died six months…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Normally, I wouldn't criticize a Joe Kubert cover, but the pistol looks like a gerbil."
2 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Despite Archie being the star, It's Veronica's father who appears the most, especially on…"
2 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I actually found a patriotic/Fourth of July themed Parents cover for today! Besides playing the…"
3 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"To be followed, of course, by Dennis the Menace (UK version) with his parents."
4 hours ago
Doctor Hmmm? replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Oooooo......."
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"PLASTIC MAN and JACK COLE At this point, the Smithsonian book book veers, briefly, back into…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"ALIEN ZONE (a.k.a. "THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD") (1978): "A man in town for a…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Inspired by Darin's post directly above, I have chosen Craig Yoe's Super Patriotic Heroes…"
7 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Tomahawk, who fought in the Revolutionary War, and his son Hawk."
7 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service