'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 5

As Richard noted earlier today, Season 5 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. debuts tonight (Dec. 1) with a two-hour premiere. Given how good last season was, I'm really looking forward to it. 

You can watch the first 17 minutes HERE.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That was reallllly good. I'll have more to say in a column.

• I was very impressed, too.

The Kree storyline makes me think this will lead to the Captain Marvel movie.

• That's exactly what i was thinking, Richard. The timeline may be all wrong, but that doesn't mean events won't tie in with the Captain Marvel movie. Especially not since, odds are, the timeline is likely to be altered before the season is done.

It's a shame so many early viewers were turned off by the necessary first season of the show while it was in a holding pattern, waiting for Captain America: Winter Soldier's events.. It's continued to grow season by season, and this one looks to be potentially the best yet.

• It makes you wish they'd just waited a year to start the show. They could have begun with Coulson trying to rebuild without all that foot-dragging the first season.

3 said:

That's exactly what i was thinking, Richard. The timeline may be all wrong, but that doesn't mean events won't tie in with the Captain Marvel movie. Especially not since, odds are, the timeline is likely to be altered before the season is done.

It's a shame so many early viewers were turned off by the necessary first season of the show while it was in a holding pattern, waiting for Captain America: Winter Soldier's events.. It's continued to grow season by season, and this one looks to be potentially the best yet.

• I think regardless of when Agents of SHIELD started, there would have been a learning curve, as the TV & film divisions felt each other out about how far they could go with each other's properties, and what points of the universe the show could more fully explore. I think the increase in quality is more about an increase in comfort with the universe, and an understanding of how to play rough in it without stepping on anyone's toes.  

(That said, I also wish season 1 hadn't driven Kathy away; I think she'd be absolutely nuts for the show since the middle of season 4.)

Similarly, I think that while Crisis on Earth-X was head-and-shoulders better than Invasion, I don't think it could have been so good without the four shows learning to work with each other last season. Crisis showed a confidence and a trust between the shows and the casts and crews that I think has to be earned -- not to mention a logistical confidence (for actors appearances on other shows, for the use of show-specific sets & locations by other crews) that it probably took the Invasion crossover to build. 

• I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I kept meaning to comment on last week's show and never got around to it.

I love that the show treats us and the characters as smart.  So yes, they played out the "Fitz doesn't know Jemma can't hear him" moment -- it is a good character moment for Fitz, after all -- but didn't turn it into a cliched soap opera subplot.  Instead, they remembered that these are the smartest members of the team!  FitzSimmons twigged to what was going in seconds, without being able to say a word to each other, and stayed in character.

And I love Fitz's character development.  No member of the team has had an arc like his -- he's a full-blown field agent/action hero now -- and pretty much every step of it has been driven by his love for Jemma.

This is fun stuff.

• We finally watched the two most recent episodes. I got a kick out of Fitz pulling a gun and blasting away at the Kree. It was a little surprising, but I guess they realized that subtlety wasn't going to work anymore.

• This has been an excellent season, despite an outre premise that could chase some away. It looks like we're going to have to deal with some timey-wimey stuff, too. But it's been great fun, and the characterization is flawless.

• Agents of SHIELD returns tomorrow, Friday, March 2.

• ‘Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Writers Preparing for a Possible ...

There's a bunch of stories out there like this, so we better enjoy it while we can!

This reply was deleted.