Anyone remember this show? I recently completed a two-year TV viewing project (Prisoner: Cell Block H) which put me in the mood for a contemporaneous show. Whereas I was somewhat familiar with P:CBH, having watched many episodes with no volume (my deaf mother followed it), I didn’t see too much of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. I think the reason was that, in my market, P:CBH aired at 10:30P but MH,MH was on opposite the news. I remember watching Fernwood 2night regularly, but by the time that was on I would have had a TV in my own room. Anyway, I recently finished watching the first 26 episodes of MH,MH for the first time, and am contemplating continuing on.

Views: 605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Betty Cooper, Betty Cooper was sometimes extremely strange. There was a multipart storyline where Jughead's father was being stalked by a limping man (turned out he was stalking the wrong person in the wrong building) and Betty broke out in big red spots that her mother assured her would go away by the time she was in her 30s because she'd had them too. It later is revealed the spots came from a witch and she transfers them to Betty before possessing her. There were also a number of one shots that started with a couple of panels of the last issue. After dealing with an evil genie and a camel that falls in love with Jughead, they go to Pop Tate's where it turns out everyone except Archie and Betty have been replaced by life sized wind up toys by a mad scientist. To make sure neither of them are toys, Archie and Betty start feeling each other up looking for a wind up key on each other's waist, with the sound effects "Pat! Pat! Grope! Grope!"

All I remember about Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman is the opening with someone yelling the title. My parents found the yelling annoying and would tell me to change the channel, which I was glad to do, so I must have tried watching it at some point and realized I didn't like it. 

Luke Blanchard said:

I've never seen the show, but it has at least two comics connections. In 1976-77 Stan Lee and Frank Springer did a comedy soap opera newspaper strip called The Virtue of Vera Valiant or Vera Valiant, Vera Valiant. The Fabulous Fifties has a couple of posts on it. In the same period Archie's Betty and Me #79-#86 did a serial with parody soap opera and horror content titled "Betty Cooper, Betty Cooper". The covers can be seen at the GCD. When I read a couple of these as a kid I found them strange.

All of that stuff sounds like it would fit into the Mary Hartman show perfectly.

Ronald Morgan said:

Betty Cooper, Betty Cooper was sometimes extremely strange. There was a multipart storyline where Jughead's father was being stalked by a limping man (turned out he was stalking the wrong person in the wrong building) and Betty broke out in big red spots that her mother assured her would go away by the time she was in her 30s because she'd had them too. It later is revealed the spots came from a witch and she transfers them to Betty before possessing her. There were also a number of one shots that started with a couple of panels of the last issue. After dealing with an evil genie and a camel that falls in love with Jughead, they go to Pop Tate's where it turns out everyone except Archie and Betty have been replaced by life sized wind up toys by a mad scientist. To make sure neither of them are toys, Archie and Betty start feeling each other up looking for a wind up key on each other's waist, with the sound effects "Pat! Pat! Grope! Grope!"

All I remember about Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman is the opening with someone yelling the title. My parents found the yelling annoying and would tell me to change the channel, which I was glad to do, so I must have tried watching it at some point and realized I didn't like it. 

The episode we watched last night featured Michael Keaton (as “the robber”) in his third credited job according to the IMDB.

The wife abuse and the sex survey scandal and Loretta’s amnesia arcs all came to a close at roughly the same time. At this point (January 1977), the show is floundering a bit as Mary tries to find a job (and has been fired from two so far).

The wife abuse arc ended with the death of Garth Gimble (Martin Mull) impaled by a Christmas tree. His wife, Pat, has been arrested for the murder, and Beverly Garland has joined the cast (temporarily, at least) as Cookie LaRue, Pat’s cellmate.

FINISHED!

This is my version of “binge watching”: not multiple episodes in a day, but one or two episodes at a time to watch an entire series. This one took me about 13 months. Tracy hated it (and to tell you the truth, I was getting a little sick of it toward the end). We watched episode #325 last night, and Tracy leaves out of town today for a week. That leaves me to watch the smattering of Fernwood 2-Night episodes included on the set as DVD extras by myself. I never watched Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman when I was young, but I did watch Fernwood 2-Night.

When she returns, our next project will be Mad about You (and, I hope, the Planet of the Apes television series as well).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service