List of Low-Selling Books Ostensibly on the Brink of Being Cancelled

Anyone have any insights on the likelihood of this?  If it happens, that list contains every Marvel book that I'm currently reading except Spider-Gwen.

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They were all dead at one point or another.

Prestige didn't use either "Phoenix" or "Marvel Girl" because Kitty wanted a name that focused on the future, not the past.

Besides X-Men Blue's Jean IS still calling herself Marvel Girl though her solo book is titled Jean Grey, probably because of Mighty Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel.

Captain Comics said:

And since the Blue Team is essentially the time-displaced X-Men, I guess I'd feel more familiar with these two books than I would have guessed. Wasn't Nightcrawler dead for a while?

I'd complain that "Prestige" is a dopey name, but then, I've never liked Rachel Grey anyway.

Randy Jackson said:

Hkmm. The Gold team is Kitty, Storm, Old Man Logan, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Prestige (one of the various incarnations of Rachel Grey) and probably a couple others I'm forgetting at the moment.

I'm sure Marvel is keen on keeping the copyright alive for "Marvel Girl," one way or another. They don't want anyone else pulling a "Captain Marvel" on them!

Philip Portelli said:

Prestige didn't use either "Phoenix" or "Marvel Girl" because Kitty wanted a name that focused on the future, not the past.

Besides X-Men Blue's Jean IS still calling herself Marvel Girl though her solo book is titled Jean Grey, probably because of Mighty Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Yeah, that citation is a step in the right direction, but with Marvel's constant renumbering, we'll have to trust our memories to differentiate between Daredevil (1998 series), Daredevil (2011 series), Daredevil (2014 series) and Daredevil (2015 series).

I mentioned it once before, but the most maddening thing to me was the TPBs for the Mark Waid run on Daredevil. They restarted the volume numbers in the middle of the run, so there were two TPBs labelled #1, #2 and so on!

It all reminds me of a magazine I came across while doing library work once.  "Title Varies, we make cataloguers cry".  There were about 20 issues, each with a different subtitle and they were all inconsistently numbered by both issue number and volume number.  A few of them even misspelled the word "Varies". 

I really don't see the reason for this.  I can't think of any comic book fan who is suddenly going to start picking up Avengers because of the issue number.  For me at least what ever issue number they put on the comic book it is still going to be above that 3.99 or 4.99 price and that will put the breaks on my wallet far more than any strange issue numbering.

Stupid name is really putting me off trying that group out and it seems the closes to X-Men I could bear..... Liked her in the early Excaliber ... but very little since.

Captain Comics said:

I'd complain that "Prestige" is a dopey name, but then, I've never liked Rachel Grey anyway.

I really liked that Red Wolf series - does he get similar treatment in the Occupy Avengers title?

Philip Portelli said:

I've fallen behind but I got it because it stars Clint Barton (so there can be the female Hawkeye book) and the new version of Red Wolf whose previous short-lived series I really liked.

Richard Willis said:

I mentioned it once before, but the most maddening thing to me was the TPBs for the Mark Waid run on Daredevil. They restarted the volume numbers in the middle of the run, so there were two TPBs labelled #1, #2 and so on!

Their TPBs are a mess. There has been no consistency over the years in the numbering or titling.

So, for example, you get various trades of New Avengers with various volume numbers and titles but no indication of which iteration of New Avengers the material is sourced from. Then you might get hardcovers which have a different number of issues collected and different volume numbers.

Or you might get something along the lines of "Invincible Iron Man Volume 3, Stark Disassembled Book 2." And later there might be a Stark Disassembled Hardcover that collects the entire story.

Then you have the trades which collect crossovers. So you might get a trade that includes 3 issues of X-Men that are also included in another X-Men trade that you already own.

It's a complete mess that requires a huge amount of research before buying. I have no doubt it drives customers away.

Yes. He got better.

Captain Comics said:

Wasn't Nightcrawler dead for a while?

Don't know if we've already discussed this but here are some quotes from a Newsarama article about the upcoming Generations:

Marvel has released a list of the 10 pairings, as well as who is writing the stories, although they don't specify in which titles their stories will take place:

• Iron Man (Tony Stark and Riri Williams) – written by Brian Michael Bendis
  • Spider-Man (Peter Parker and Miles Morales) – Brian Michael Bendis
  • Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers and Kamala Khan) – G. Willow Wilson
  • Thor (Odinson and Jane Foster) – Jason Aaron
  • Hawkeye (Clint Barton and Kate Bishop) – Kelly Thompson
  • Hulk (Bruce Banner and Amadeus Cho) – Greg Pak
  • Jean Grey (young and older) – Dennis Hopeless
  • Wolverine (Logan and X23) – Tom Taylor
  • Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell and Carol Danvers) – Margie Stohl
  • Captain America (Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson) – Nick Spencer

"We are looking to honor the legacy of the entire universe, so we are taking the iconic legacy heroes and pairing them with the new class," said Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. "It very much indicates where we are going in the future with all of these characters and what we've been planning for some time for the universe."

And also:

Alonso says that they have an "ingenious device" to facilitate these stories happen - and yes, it'll be in Marvel's current continuity.

"How did we do this is part of the fun," he said. "Right now, Rogers isn't much of a good guy. Why would Sam want to team up with him? Banner's dead! Logan's dead! These are questions that demand to be seen. What I will tell you is we have an ingenious device [to bring them back]."

Alonso promised that the "ingenius device" isn't time travel or alternate realities - a common story device used in the past to facilitate these legacy pairings.

"I wish I could tell you the mechanism [to bring these characters back], but that's also a bit of a spoiler."

The ingenious device: Jarvis is writing "erotic friendfiction."

Everyone's coming back from the Swinging Sixties!

A hoax? A dream? An imaginary story? Lifelike simulacra conjured up from Roy the Boy's memories by the Supreme Intelligence?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service