List of Low-Selling Books Ostensibly on the Brink of Being Cancelled

Anyone have any insights on the likelihood of this?  If it happens, that list contains every Marvel book that I'm currently reading except Spider-Gwen.

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think Marvel and DC should design their websites so people like us just want to keep browsing them all day, with character hubs that have explanations of who they are and gently lead readers through their publication histories.

That's sort of what Comics Vine does, although I don't find it very comprehensive. I'd suggest we do it here, but lord, it would be labor intensive, even with all of us pitching in.

Which is probably why Marvel and DC don't do it. A) it' highly labor intensive and B) there's plenty of fans that will do it for them for free.

Captain Comics said:

That's sort of what Comics Vine does, although I don't find it very comprehensive. I'd suggest we do it here, but lord, it would be labor intensive, even with all of us pitching in.

Richard Willis said:

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Yeah, that citation is a step in the right direction, but with Marvel's constant renumbering, we'll have to trust our memories to differentiate between Daredevil (1998 series), Daredevil (2011 series), Daredevil (2014 series) and Daredevil (2015 series).

I mentioned it once before, but the most maddening thing to me was the TPBs for the Mark Waid run on Daredevil. They restarted the volume numbers in the middle of the run, so there were two TPBs labelled #1, #2 and so on!

Not that I am defending Marvel - because I understand and share your frustration here - but I think I know the reason they restarted the volume numbers on the Dardevil TPBs.  The entire Mark Waid run is all 36 issues of the 2011 series AND all 18 issues of the 2014 series.  They did 7 trades to collect the 2011 series and called them "Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 1-7".  They could have called the TPB collection of the five issues of the 2014 series "Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol 8" but instead called it "Daredevil Vol. 1".  I think that just like a new #1 for a single issue, they decided a new Volume 1 would be less confusing or intimidating to a new reader.  I seem to recall an interview with Waid around 2014 giving the sense even he was perplexed by the new DD # 1, when it could have been DD # 37.  There was a change in direction as Matt moved to California for a while but this was hardly a new status quo necessitating a new #1.  I think the same thing happened to Waid with Hulk around the same time.  His Indestructible Hulk series ended with #20 and the next month saw a new Hulk #1 with Waid still at the helm.

Detective 445 said:

Richard Willis said:

I mentioned it once before, but the most maddening thing to me was the TPBs for the Mark Waid run on Daredevil. They restarted the volume numbers in the middle of the run, so there were two TPBs labelled #1, #2 and so on!

Their TPBs are a mess. There has been no consistency over the years in the numbering or titling.

So, for example, you get various trades of New Avengers with various volume numbers and titles but no indication of which iteration of New Avengers the material is sourced from. Then you might get hardcovers which have a different number of issues collected and different volume numbers.

Or you might get something along the lines of "Invincible Iron Man Volume 3, Stark Disassembled Book 2." And later there might be a Stark Disassembled Hardcover that collects the entire story.

Then you have the trades which collect crossovers. So you might get a trade that includes 3 issues of X-Men that are also included in another X-Men trade that you already own.

It's a complete mess that requires a huge amount of research before buying. I have no doubt it drives customers away.

I agree with this assessment.  In my post above, I mention how Mark Waid wrote 54 consecutive issues of Daredevil - Daredevil (2011) # 1-36 and Daredevil (2014) # 1-18.  The 2011 series was collected in 7 hardcovers and then subsequently in 7 TPBs; both are entitled "Daredevil by Mark Waid" Vol. 1-7.  In February 2013, Marvel released the "Daredevil by Mark Waid" Vol. 4 hardcover and also released "Daredevil Deluxe Edition by Mark Waid" Vol. 1, which collected the same material that been collected in the first two hardcovers.

The TPBs for the 2014 series could have been "Daredevil by Mark Waid" Vol. 8-11 without a problem, but were called Daredevil Vol. 1-4.  There were no hardcovers released in advance of the TPBs for this series BUT the "Daredevil Deluxe Edition by Mark Waid" hardcovers had four more volumes.  Volumes 2 and 3 collected the rest of the 2011 series and Volumes 4 and 5 collected the 2014 series.

Oh, and a "Daredevil Omnibus by Mark Waid" was released a few months ago, collecting about half of Waid's DD run.

I researched all that through the MyComicShop website and also Wikipedia, and I still find it confusing.  I can't imagine how comic shop owners or brand new readers wade through all that.  Hooray for having so many options, maybe?

So yeah, I'm good with everything being re-set to the original numbering.  And I would not have a problem with the covers of trades and hardcovers stating what issues are collected, from what volumes of which series and the years of original release clearly stated.

One last thing, if you want your mind blown, go to the MyComicShop website and do a search for "4th series".  It's a long, long list.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service