Meet Bonnie Taylor, the high-flying stewardess who ended almost every story with a broken heart.  She cruised the skies for over two years, from Nov. 1963 through Dec. 1965/Jan. 1966, in DC's romance comic, Young Romance.  Peter Parker never knew so many personal losses,  Bonnie held the cover spot from her first appearance for eleven issues straight, but lost it in her final three appearances. 

Views: 2023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I want a copy of 136 just to hang on the wall.  That tartan is amazing,   At least he didn't call her, "Bonnie, lassie."

Peter Bosch said:

I was thinking 127 and 135, in particular, and the popouts on 133 and 136.  They just had that light "why should I give this any detail or depth?" scratches of Colletta.

I'm sure someone will correct me if there's an exception to what I am about to state, but I don't believe any editor worth his salt ever let the likes of Vince Colletta ink a cover, the most prominent place where you really wanted good, quality work. 

Getting back to subject of the thread, I've read the occasional romance comic, and was never aware there were characters who appeared in more than one story. I always thought the stories were one-off anthology tales in all of them. 

This may be a little off-color, but I find these old romance stories make a lot more sense -- and are a lot more interesting -- if you mentally substitute the F-word for "kiss" every time the word "kiss" appears. Honestly, it makes the exaggerated hysteria about your BF kissing someone else perfectly understandable, and everything just snaps into place.

Gives a whole new aspect to her novel and hungry lips, I suppose...

...I'll get me coat.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Getting back to subject of the thread, I've read the occasional romance comic, and was never aware there were characters who appeared in more than one story. I always thought the stories were one-off anthology tales in all of them.

Perhaps it's analogous to what happened with the war titles, which shifted from an anthology approach to an ongoing-feature-led approach in the Silver Age. In the case of the romance titles the approach was apparently less successful. Possibly the problem was that since the stories weren't serials, the format meant the heroine had to keep losing each episode's guy. At least, that's what those covers imply.

The GCD has a synopsis of the story that goes with the #136 cover. It was obviously inspired by Brigadoon.

Clark,

Actually, it was even more surprising than that.  Her stories weren't just 8 page tales...they were divided into two parts in each issue, and started with getting 12 pages per issue, then up to 15 pages(!) for many months and, finally, down to 13 at the end.   

ClarkKent_DC said:

I just found a Bonnie reprint in a 1974 DC romance book...I'm wondering if anyone knows of other reprint appearances of Bonnie. The original Young Romance books are hard to find ;)

I don't know of any other Bonnie reprints, but there is a Showcase Presents book collecting the early DC issues of Young Love, which starred another heart-broken heroine, a nurse named Mary Robin. Like Bonnie, she was cover featured for a while, and had lengthy stories inside, until her star faded. I have the impression that the entirety of her tearful adventures are included in the Showcase. The stories aren't my cup of tea, but they're drawn by John Romita Sr. and are very pretty.

Thanks, Capt! Alas, my searches have revealed that there was one reprint in the mid-70s and one in a big DC compendium book of a few years ago. I also discovered that Bonnie was written by Robert Kanigher who I think also was responsible for another long-time fave character - Rose/Thorn from the early 70s. I don't know what it is about these second tier women characters that seem to catch my fancy every now and but that's the fun of collecting, I suppose. And now I've got a new mini-collection to search for ;) You've got a great site here! Many thanks --

ClarkKent_DC said:

Same here. I own several reprint anthology tpbs of romance comics (some with funny dialogue, some straight) and might even own some of these stories without realizing it. If DC ever decided to reprint these stories under a single cover (yeah, right... as if that woudl ever happen!), I'd buy it.

Louise12 said:

I just found a Bonnie reprint in a 1974 DC romance book...I'm wondering if anyone knows of other reprint appearances of Bonnie. The original Young Romance books are hard to find ;)

I did a search by character at the Grand Comics Database, and it didn't turn up much on Bonnie that we haven't already discussed here. Aside from here appearances in Young Romance #126-139, one story was reprinted in Heart Throbs: The Best of DC Romance Comics and one story in Falling in Love #142, which appears to have been reprinted from Young Romance #128, and may be the book you already referenced.

Here's the search page: http://www.comics.org/character/name/Bonnie%20Taylor/sort/alpha/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service