MELL LAZARUS has died ( a few days back) . At 89 .

He was best-known for the long-running newspaper strips MOMMA and MISS PEACH .

He did do comic-book earlier in his career ~ and indeed , his experience working at Al Capp-owned Toby Press provided fodder for a non-comics novel he wrote , and I read long ago , titled THE BOSS IS CRAZY , TOO ~ It was set at a comic book publishing company , but , before you get too excited (Yeah , right...) , I'll mention that , from my decades-later memory , (though a good novel) there were no " comics biz " details , it could have been set at an ad agency or any other art/graphics business enterprise .

Anyway , somewhere Momma Hobbs is weeping , not nagging (Would a presumed Jewish mother name one of her kids after a Christian saint , Francis , by the way ? Maybe .) , and Miss Peach has hung up black bunting.........

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ah, shame, I remember liking  his stuff when I was a kid.

• ...Supposedly Momma was still in about 400 papers , IIRC the NYT obit .

• Looking at strips from April and May, based upon the copyright markings many of them were reprints from 2005. The ones without this notation are presumably new strips. I wonder if they will continue (like with Peanuts) to reprint old strips.

• Haven't seen a Miss Peach in years, although I can still access Momma online.

Any idea if the strips will continue, even if it is just in rerun mode?

I have the Lazarus paperback. Good read, even if there isn't any "insider" tidbits.

• He died on May 24, one week ago today.

According to Wikipedia, Miss Peach ended in 2002.

• Found a nice obituary with a lot more information in the New York Times.

Obituary

• ...Thank you , that's where I first saw that he had died , in a paper Times .

Richard Willis said:

Found a nice obituary with a lot more information in the New York Times.

Obituary

• I grew up reading Miss Peach and Momma in my hometown newspapers.

Despite the very simple linework Mell Lazarus employed on these strips, from time to time he was a ghost artist for Steve Canyon!

• ...Huh .

ClarkKent_DC said:

I grew up reading Miss Peach and Momma in my hometown newspapers.

Despite the very simple linework Mell Lazarus employed on these strips, from time to time he was a ghost artist for Steve Canyon!

This reply was deleted.