TMZ and the LA Times are both reporting that Michael Jackson passed away today at the age of 50.

Wow, two of the biggest pop culture icons of all time both pass away on the same day.

Views: 153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark S. Ogilvie said:
If things truly go in three's there is one left.

Mark

Well, there was Ed McMahon the other day. (Of course, "threes" is just a pattern we impose on our experience, not the other way around.)
Is it wrong of me to wonder if there was ever an episode of Johnny Carson where both Fawcett and and Jackson were guests, thus resulting in the two of them sharing a couch with Ed McMahon?
Rob Staeger said:
Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Mark

Well, there was Ed McMahon the other day. (Of course, "threes" is just a pattern we impose on our experience, not the other way around.)

For the superstitious, I guess you have to look for two more celebrities to complete another cycle. Billy Mays is dead.
Rich Lane said:
Rob Staeger said:
Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Mark

For the superstitious, I guess you have to look for two more celebrities to complete another cycle. Billy Mays is dead.

And so are Fred Travalena and Gale Storm.

A writer for the Pittsburgh Examiner takes note: "The Cycle of Threes Continues"
Don't forget David Carradine, then. That's seven.
At least Jeff Goldblum is still with us...

(Did the US get the story about him falling off a cliff in New Zealand?)
As is Abe Vigado.

But Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!
Just found out: Mollie Sugden, of "Are You Being Served?" and Karl Malden have both passed away today.
Steve McNair and an unidentified woman were found shot to death today in Nashville.
PowerBook Pete said:
Steve McNair and an unidentified woman were found shot to death today in Nashville.

Wow, that is a total shock
I may have to re-evaluate my opinion about Michael Jackson ever so slightly. This is what a good friend of my wife said on her facebook page:

My heart is aching over the loss of MJ. In the '80s, he called my ailing mom several times while she was in a cancer center fighting for her life. This meant a lot to me. It came about through my uncle (mom's brother) who happened to be working in CA at the same hospital where MJ had his surgery after being burnt in the Pepsi commercial. My uncle asked MJ if he'd call her, and he did! I'll always remember this!

As I said, this is a good friend of my family, and I completely trust that she is telling the truth here.
Wow, that is a good story! It's true he did some good deeds and was an inspiration to many.

Last night Andrew and I watched a repeat of an interview MJ did a few years ago. He seemed really flaky, perhaps a little high and out of it. The cameras followed him around on a shopping spree where he just decided to buy a bunch of nearly priceless antiques on a whim. Before he left the store, his final bill came to over a half million dollars! And the stuff he was buying seemed pretty useless. But he had such an abnormal upbringing and then was rocketed by fame into such a bizarre unreal world, it's no wonder he did so many things that seem odd to the rest of us. People who knew him say he was a genuine case of "arrested development." He seemed to have never grown up and wanted to live in perpetual childhood. I hope he is at peace now.

Rich Lane said:
I may have to re-evaluate my opinion about Michael Jackson ever so slightly. This is what a good friend of my wife said on her facebook page:

My heart is aching over the loss of MJ. In the '80s, he called my ailing mom several times while she was in a cancer center fighting for her life. This meant a lot to me. It came about through my uncle (mom's brother) who happened to be working in CA at the same hospital where MJ had his surgery after being burnt in the Pepsi commercial. My uncle asked MJ if he'd call her, and he did! I'll always remember this!

As I said, this is a good friend of my family, and I completely trust that she is telling the truth here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service