It's likely everyone has listened to a song they liked and misheard the lyrics. That's not unusual. 

However, have you ever thought your misheard lyrics were better or more interesting than those of the actual song? That replacing the actual lyric with your version might make it more thought provoking or meaningful? 

I'll give you a couple of examples for myself, one obscure, one famous:

There was a band from Boston called Human Sexual Response from the 80s. They had a song called Marone Offering that I really liked, but I never had a lyric sheet. The song starts out mid tempo, then changes to a much more uptempo beat about ⅔ of the way. During that uptempo portion, there's a lyric they repeat over and over. Before the advent of the internet, I thought that lyric was:

"It's justified when you walk away"

Which I personally thought was really interesting. Of course, years later and I find out it was:

"It's just a five minute walk away" 

Kind of a letdown in my opinion. 

Another instance was the very well known Don't Fear the Reaper. For years, I'd thought the third verse began:

"Love of two is one

Please put down that gun" 

Obviously a somewhat more sinister implication. 

Of course, the actual lyric is:

"Love of two is one

Here but now they're gone" 

Nothing wrong with it, but part of me prefers my version. 

Now, it's highly likely I think about song lyrics more than most people, but I'm curious, and I wonder if anyone else has misheard lyrics they prefer to the actual ones. 

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another punctuation-related one was...

"And 'seldom' is heard, a discouraging word..."

...and I used to think, "What's so discouraging about the word 'seldom'?"

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I said, "Something wrong?"

Now I long for yesterday.

I just recalled this one. As a kid in the early 70s, I remember really liking David Essex's one hit, "Rock on." But I always heard:

And where do we go from here?

Which is the way that's clear?

Still looking for that blue jean baby queen

Prettiest girl I've ever seen
See her shake on the movie screen

as something like:

And where do we go from here?

Witches await there clear

Still looking for that blue jean baby queen...

I also heard "Did ya" as "DJs."

My version is definitely more interesting. Must be the Season of the Witch.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"That was in the first episode (besides, I saw an ad in a comic book and pretty much figured out who…"
4 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
6 minutes ago
Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"I've seen seven of the episodes (I think). Very impressed with the visuals and the…"
7 minutes ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"What about a carnival of carnage?"
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Does a carnival of fools count?"
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
1 hour ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
9 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 8-14, 2022
"No, seriously, I have this recurring dream where I have actually killed someone and buried the…"
9 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Scarlet Street impressed me so much that I made a point of buying the Blu-ray."
11 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Did Paste Pot Pete/the Trapster ever admire Spider-Man's Webs?
"Before he was a member of the Frightful Four, he fought Johnny Storm a few times. Did they ever do…"
11 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion RIP Clu Gulager
"My parents and I watched him in The Tall Man (1960-62, two seasons, 75(!) episodes). He played…"
11 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"My expectations for a Sandman TV show are high, but my expectations that they'd be able to…"
12 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service