Are there certain things you notice in movie after movie, TV show after TV show, that nip at your suspension of disbelief, because they keep happening as if they're the most normal thing in the world, but they aren't normal at all?

Yes, of course there are. So post 'em!

I'll kick the game off with a few of my own:

1) Aluminum "movie briefcases"

Whenever anybody in a movie or TV show has a briefcase or attache case, it's always this lined, silver metal (I assume aluminum) case that I have never seen anywhere except a movie or TV show. (Google says Halliburton makes 'em.) It's the briefcase with the mystery object in Pulp Fiction. It's the briefcase that MCU Phase One movies arrive in, if you ordered the one with the Tesseract prop. It is the briefcase in every single movie or TV show you have ever seen.

But, while they are remarkable, no one in movies or TV shows remarks on them.

2) Perfect torches

I used to burn the caterpillar nests out of our pecan trees when I was younger. That requires a torch, and proper torches (not of Tiki variety) are apparently not on sale anywhere. So I made my own. And let me tell you, it's hard to make a torch from home materials. Maybe if I had some pitch? Well, I tried all kinds of different approaches, but making a good, long-burning torch was pretty difficult.

From that you can assume that none of my torches look like the ones on TV, which have perfectly match-shaped heads on perfectly straight, lathe-hewn wood handles. And they are always conveniently available, lying around in the haunted tomb or stuck in sconces as the heroes explore the catacombs.

These are not torches that a pre-industrial society could make, and yet, lo, gird your loins, because they're in all those biblical and Greek-god movies. They are in every movie or TV show that requires a torch, from Vikings to the Indiana Jones movies. And they simply should not exist, much less be ubiquitous.

One other thing: The actors are clearly not using the torches to see (after all, we can see them pretty clearly, torches or no torches), which is why when somebody says, "Look" they all thrust their torches forward, as if they are flashlights. If you've ever actually used a torch, you know that thrusting the torch forward A) blinds you with glare, and B) sends smoke right up your nose and into your eyes. No, when somebody yells "Look!" you hold the torch HIGHER,so that it acts like an overhead light. Like, you know, something else that helps you see, like the sun.

3) Running in the woods

You can't.

Uneven ground, treacherous footing, vines and roots everywhere, and all of it covered up with leaves and undergrowth. Run in the woods and you'll twist your ankle. Run in the woods at night and you'll break your ankle.

4) Perfect visibility in the dark

How many movies or TV shows have you watched where the principals engage in combat, or gunplay, or other complicated activities when it's dark -- and yet they (and you) can see everything clearly. Almost as if it's NOT dark, but the middle of the afternoon, and the crew is shooting with night lenses.

Whoops! Let the cat out of the bag. But let me tell you, if you're not near a city or near streetlights, and it's night, it is COUNTRY DARK. Can't-see-your-hand-in-front-of-your-face dark. If you're in the woods, not even the moon helps, because it's blocked by tree canopy. So you have to move very carefully (see "Running in the woods" above). You're certainly not going to be able to, oh, I dunno, fight a horde of zombies. (Looking at you, The Walking Dead.)

Besides, if it's dark, light a fire and the zombies will swarm THAT and leave you alone. But nobody seems to think of it.

5) Perfect visibility while swimming underwater

See above.

This is especially true if you're swimming in something other than a swimming pool, which might have lights. Your basic swamp water, river water, bay water and the like will be murky at the best of times. At night, it will be opaque.

6) A group of five or more where nobody wears glasses

More than 25 percent of the population ages 15-24 needs vision correction, and that's just for myopia. Throw in presbyopia, macular degeneration, astigmatism and other ills, and it's preposterous that the bespecatcled are so poorly representatives. Sure, some could be wearing contacts. But all of them?

7) Magic flashlights

If you're searching a room in the dark, a flashlight is a good idea. But if you're searching the woods, or standing on the porch looking out into the darkness, or trying to see anything more than a few feet from you -- the flashlight isn't going to reveal anything. But it WILL give away your location to whatever you're looking for, and then IT will start stalking YOU. Any time you're in a dangerous situation, guard your light so nobody can see it. Basically all a flashlight is good for in the woods or fields is to point it at the ground so you can avoid breaking your ankle.

Heck, even when searching a room, guard your light. Someone waving a flashlight around in a dark room makes a very distinctive and eye-catching searchlight effect to people outside. Like neighbors. Or cops.

But on screen, flashlights always reveal what the protagonists need, and nobody else notices the existence of this light in the darkness. It's magic.

7) The Surprise Lesbian Reveal

It's become virtually customary that for any movie or long-running TV show with two or more women, one of them will be -- surprise! -- a lesbian. Here's the thing: If everybody does it, it's not a surprise any more.

On Fear the Walking Dead, I predicted to my wife that Al would be the Surprise Lesbian Reveal. (I was right.) On NOS4A2, my wife called the chick with the Scrabble tiles as the SLR. (She was right.)

I don't have any problem with gay characters on TV or in movies. But I would argue that lesbians are laughably over-represented in movies/TV -- maybe 50 percent at this point -- whereas gay men are almost invisible. And if it happens on every show, as I said above, it ceases to be a surprise. But most of all, stop treating the reveal like it is sensational, stunning news. For one thing, A) lesbians exist, and nobody is surprised that they do, and 2) sexuality is just one aspect of a person. So when you present the lesbian reveal as an OMG moment, it's just pandering.

Your turn!

Views: 363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Speaking of the night sky, here's something we just saw on TV:

Star Train

Watching The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean I was reminded of another trope that makes me roll my eyes. And it's this: Movies and TV make it look ridiculously easy to dig a grave. And not just any grave, but one that is a perfect 8x2.5 shape.

Folks, digging is hard work. Really hard work. Back when graves were dug by hand, a couple of men would take several days to dig a grave -- if there was a rush, they'd add more men. And it wasn't until the addition of modern earth-moving machines that graves were those perfect 8x2.5s with plumb-straight walls and perfect 90-degree-angle corners.

There's a reason why serial killers use shallow graves. Deep ones are hard to dig!

And yet, people on The Walking Dead dig graves all the time, and it only takes a couple of hours. And nobody even seems to break a sweat. And the graves are perfect. It just makes me laugh.

Roy Bean reminded of this because Anthony Perkins dug a row of perfect graves, maybe seven or eight, in an afternoon. The Rock couldn't do that, and Anthony Perkins is no Rock.

Yep.  When I lived in Crete, Greece, I had a couple of cats that died and in each case I had a very difficult time digging holes in the very rocky land big enough to bury them (and although I lived in a very rural area, near the coast, in an apartment complex surrounded by olive trees, there was no place nearby with soil that was easy to dig).  So the pet graves were very shallow, but then I covered them with the multitude of nearby rocks.  I can appreciate how much more work, strain and time it would be for one person to dig even just one standard six-feet deep grave.

Captain Comics said:

Watching The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean I was reminded of another trope that makes me roll my eyes. And it's this: Movies and TV make it look ridiculously easy to dig a grave. And not just any grave, but one that is a perfect 8x2.5 shape.

Folks, digging is hard work. Really hard work. Back when graves were dug by hand, a couple of men would take several days to dig a grave -- if there was a rush, they'd add more men. And it wasn't until the addition of modern earth-moving machines that graves were those perfect 8x2.5s with plumb-straight walls and perfect 90-degree-angle corners.

There's a reason why serial killers use shallow graves. Deep ones are hard to dig!

And yet, people on The Walking Dead dig graves all the time, and it only takes a couple of hours. And nobody even seems to break a sweat. And the graves are perfect. It just makes me laugh.

Roy Bean reminded of this because Anthony Perkins dug a row of perfect graves, maybe seven or eight, in an afternoon. The Rock couldn't do that, and Anthony Perkins is no Rock.

Many, many moons ago, I was a regular customer of a comics shop that was not close to home. Getting there meant hours of riding on public transit, or walking for miles in the snow -- uphill, both ways, I swear! -- just so I could get my weekly fix and my back issues of Our Army at War featuring Sgt. Rock and Weird Western Tales featuring Jonah Hex (which I still have, by the way).

The proprietor once told me a story I never forgot about his days in the Army, and a sergeant who punished two guys for some infraction. I forget what, specifically, they did wrong, but the sergeant made them dig a 6-foot hole, all the while reading a magazine as they did their work.

When they finished, he tossed the magazine into the hole, and then had them fill it back in.

Then he said, "I want my magazine back." 

So, yes, they had to re-dig the hole to get the magazine back. And then fill it back in. 

Whatever it was those poor saps did, I'm sure they never did it again. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service