Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 40517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I watched "Munster Go Home" on Svengoolie last night. It reafirms my reason for always having found the Addams Family preferable.

Captain Comics said:

Watched Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, which was on my List of Famous Movies I Have Yet to See.
I entered the movie with the mistaken impression that it was a Frank Capra movie. That's not anybody's fault but my own, as Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington ARE Frank Capra movies, and since I've only seen one of them (Smith), I got the three similarly-named movies confused in my brain.

I haven’t seen Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House or Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. In the 1970s, in the early days of the San Diego Con, I saw (for the first time!) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and It’s a Wonderful Life both shown in a small room by none other than Frank Capra, who was there with his son. Never to be forgotten.

The two best actors in the movie were Dean Martin and Angie Dickinson. Knock me over with a feather.

One of my favorite westerns is the movie 5 Card Stud. Martin plays the hero lead and is very serious in the role.
I never watched the Police Woman TV show, but I recently saw Angie Dickinson in the 1962 version of The Killers. I mostly wanted to see this movie because of the rarity of Ronald Reagan playing a bad guy, but was impressed by Dickinson’s performance. This movie has a terrific cast.

Did Walter Brennan really have a limp, or did he just fake it here? And in To Have and Have Not? And on The Real McCoys? And, and, and ...

As far as I can determine, he didn’t actually have a limp. He got his squeaky voice from a WWI gas attack.

I recently saw the movies Terminator: Dark Fate and JoJo Rabbit, both from 2019.

Terminator: Dark Fate is a direct sequel to Terminator 2: Judgment Day, ignoring all subsequent sequels. It's very well done and won't disappoint anyone who liked the first two movies. There are improvements to both the soldier from the future and, or course, to the latest terminator.

Jojo Rabbit is a dark comedy that satirizes Nazis, the Hitler Youth, etc. Terrific acting and an Oscar for Taika Waititi, the New Zealander who adapted the screenplay, directed the movie and plays Jojo’s imaginary friend, his version of Adolph Hitler.

We watched Skyfall again this weekend -- we saw it in theaters when it was out -- and I believe it is my favorite of the Daniel Craig James Bond movies. Probably in no small part because it includes The Final Fate of M, Bond's boss and surrogate mother. 

This being part of a trilogy that reboots the Bond franchise, we get a new M at the end, and the revelation at the end that Eve, the agent who is partnered with Bond, is Miss Moneypenny. 

I've seen some complaints that the story doesn't hang together -- a rogue agent, essentially M's other "son," is out to kill her -- but who watches James Bond movies for stories that hang together? I certainly don't, and I'm not going to start now. 

Anyway. just for the heck of it, here's a "sneak peek" from the new Bond movie, No Time to Die, courtesy of Saturday Night Live:

That's hilarious.

If it's not included as a DVD extra I will be extremely disappointed.

That was from the last regular Saturday Night Live before, well, we all know. And even though that was the week No Time to Die was supposed to come out but didn't -- it was pushed back from Easter to Thanksgiving -- Daniel Craig was clearly having a blast.

JOKER: I don't generally care for comic book movies, but last week a co-worker and I were discussing HBO and this one came up. She said this if the only comic book movie she has ever seen that she's liked, so I decided to give it a try. (I think there was some discussion of this movie on the board when out was out, but I didn't read it.) The best thing I can say about it is that it's not a comic book movie, it's a movie. Recommended.

MST3K: Over the weekend our plan had been to watch Fugitive Alien folowed by Star Force: Fugitive Alien 2, but I don't think Tracy quite gets the concept of "cheesy movies, the worst we can find," because five minutes in she declared, "This is bad," and refused to watch any more. I think I;ve seen them both before, but we didn't even get far enough into the first one for me to recall.

Best known for the "Forkliift Song", which was derived from this.  The reason it was so bad is that they butchered several episodes of a TV show into a movie, leaving out the bits which would have made sense.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

MST3K: Over the weekend our plan had been to watch Fugitive Alien folowed by Star Force: Fugitive Alien 2, but I don't think Tracy quite gets the concept of "cheesy movies, the worst we can find," because five minutes in she declared, "This is bad," and refused to watch any more. I think I;ve seen them both before, but we didn't even get far enough into the first one for me to recall.

MST3K: "The Beginning of the End": Tracy checked online fr a list of the funniest episodes and chose this one from among those we have recorded. I told her she had to commit to watching the whole thing before we started.

I've heard of football games that cut out everthing except when the clock is running. I'd be perfectly happy watching MST3K with only the movie, no host segments. (I guess I could always fast forward.)

That' one of my favorite episodes. Peter Graves was a favorite "target" of theirs.  The DVD I have included the "un-MST'ed" version of the film.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

MST3K: "The Beginning of the End": Tracy checked online fr a list of the funniest episodes and chose this one from among those we have recorded. I told her she had to commit to watching the whole thing before we started.

I've heard of football games that cut out everthing except when the clock is running. I'd be perfectly happy watching MST3K with only the movie, no host segments. (I guess I could always fast forward.)

Tracy had two "laught out loud" moments. One was a reference to the Von Trapp family and the other was a refernce to the Monkees. I laughed out loud once, but i can't remember at what.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service