Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

FUN IN ACAPULCO: I saw my share of Elvis movies growing up, but they all kind of run together in my memory. There was a time I would pick up an Elvis movie on VHS every time I saw one, whether I was in the mood to watch it or not. I don't remember Fun in Acapulco from the weekend "Super Movie" on Channel 11, and I know I never watched the VHS because the tape was still in its shrink-wrap. This one co-stars Usula Andress. Elvis is a former trapeze artist who has had an aversion to heights ever since he accidentally dropped his brother to his death. As the movie opens, he's working as a boat hand in in Acapulco and soon gets a job in a hotel as a life guard and singer. To thwart his romantic rival and win the girl, he must work his way up to diving from a 136-foot cliff. Songs include "Fun in Acapulco," "Bassa Nova Baby," "Marguerita," " Guadalajara" and the classic "No Room to Rhumba in a Sports Car." 

The song Back To Tupelo by Mark Knopfler provides an interesting take on Elvis' movie career.

"...you can still be Marlon Brando and the king of rock and roll. It isn't just the records, no, you must have Hollywood..."

I had never heard that song before. thanks for bringing it to my attention! 

BACK TO TUPELO

THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US: What was done to the creature in the name of science in this movie sickens me. ("It's just a show; I should really just relax.") I'm glad the series stopped at this point.

Did you see Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I had never heard that song before. thanks for bringing it to my attention! 

BACK TO TUPELO

THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US: What was done to the creature in the name of science in this movie sickens me. ("It's just a show; I should really just relax.") I'm glad the series stopped at this point.

"Did you see Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water?"

I did. (Good movie.)

That one might might more accurately be titled "Revenge of the the Creature."

GOJIRA: When I first decided to watch a few Toho flicks a couple of weeks ago, I didn't expect to watch the original Godzilla so early on; in fact, I had intended to save it for last. But I recently watched the three "Creature from the Black Lagoon" movies, which I see as something of a transition from one type of monster movie to another, and, because Godzilla is another such transition, I was put in the mood to watch it. 

The first question that comes up is, Which version did you watch? Japanese or American?" Ever since I've had the ability, I have always watch them both together, as a sort of "double feature"; the American version is a sort of "follow up" to the Japanese. The Japanese and English versions of the early films are different enough from each other that it behooves them to watch both; it's not simply a mattter of being in the mood to read subtitles vs. enduring dubbing. Last night we watch the original Japanese version of Gojira; tonight I will leave it up to Tracy whether to watch the American version or move on to Godzilla Raids Again

REMINDER: This is an exhibition not a competition, so please remember, no wagering. 

Aaaaannnndddd. . . Just like that we're back to Godzilla again.

I recently watched Rampage, a poor (actually poverty stricken) man's Kong vs Godzilla. It's based on the video game series ( there was more than one). If you're fan of the games, you'll be diappointed to know this movie doesn't follow the plot at all. Poorly written, poorly acted, and an overall waste of time. I guess we'll never get to see that final battle on the moon that the "Internatonal Rampge" game gave us.
I would watch poor man's Kong vs. Godzilla on the moon.
Also, I did the "double feature" thing with "Gamera the Giant Monster" and "Gammera the Invincible " last weekend.

Watched Monster on the Campus (1958), in which Doctor Donald Blake (!)  accidentally cuts himself on a gamma-irradiated coelacanth, which causes him to turn into a murderous caveman.  Not as interesting as that description might make it sound, although I do wonder if Stan Lee saw this movie..  Look for the ubiquitous Whit Bissell as a scientist and a young Troy Donahue as a student.

Den of Geek Talks About Dune (2021)

Watched Dr. Cyclops (1940).  Albert Dekker as a scientist who invents a shrinking machine.  Not too bad.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service