Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 48977

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depending on which version you have of this picture, the "crook who is basically a good guy" character was dubbed by Hal Linden.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER: Godzilla + Mothra, introducing Ebirah. Seems to me there are some interstitial Mothra scenes missing from the movies, for example, the larvae fighting for dominance and the winner transforming to "moth" form. There are also some good Infant Island songs from this and other movie not available on CD. Speaking of Elvis, he would have been right at home in the first half of this movie, and perhaps James Bond in the second. 

If so, I did not recognize his voice. Tracy and I were both preoccupied with the annoying comic relief guy.

PARADISE, HAWAIIAN STYLE: Another still-shrinkwrapped VHS. Elvis plays a pilot, fired from an airline for indiscretions with stews, who partners with a friend to open a helicopter charter service. In this movie, Elivis pretends to fly a plane almost as well has he pretends to play guitar. Donna Butterworth is a ten-year-old actress who sings two or three songs with Elvis and sings at least as well as Jimmy Osmond.  

Love Interest: Suzanna Leigh is the main one, I suppose, but Elvis keeps a bevy of beauties on a string.

Songs: "This Is My Heaven," "Stop Where You Are," "Drums of the Islands," the tile track and other even crappier numbers. 

Trivia: Philip Ahn (Master Kan from Kung Fu) plays a bit part. 

Neither of us had ever seen Lawrence of Arabia, so we finally did. Apart from the film's reputation, I knew it had influenced Dune and the original Star Wars* but I didn't realize how much it had influenced them-- the visuals in Star Wars in particular.

I watched Barbarella, really for the second time, sort of. I saw it when I was about 16 on the late show on the French channel, but my amazing command half-assed grasp of the language meant I only understood some of the dialogue. Also, I think I fell asleep at some point. Now I've seen it, and I realize the dialogue doesn't really matter all that much.

*Gordangit, there's no movie called A New Hope and there never was.

Hear, hear!

JD DeLuzio said:

JD DeLuzio said:

Neither of us had ever seen Lawrence of Arabia, so we finally did. Apart from the film's reputation, I knew it had influenced Dune and the original Star Wars* but I didn't realize how much it had influenced them-- the visuals in Star Wars in particular.

I have had a widescreen DVD of Lawrence of Arabia for years and still really plan to watch it. I recently watched a documentary about the the Ottoman Empire and T.E. Lawrence in WWI. It was very informative and naturally I have no idea how to find it now.

I watched Barbarella, really for the second time, sort of. I saw it when I was about 16 on the late show on the French channel, but my amazing command half-assed grasp of the language meant I only understood some of the dialogue. Also, I think I fell asleep at some point. Now I've seen it, and I realize the dialogue doesn't really matter all that much.

I need to watch it again. You must have been dead-tired to fall asleep as a 16-year-old watching that movie. I think I saw it first at an early San Diego Con when movies were being projected into the wee hours in a small room with a small audience.

I second that emotion!

I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia, either.

I've seen Barbarella, but I don't remember anything about it.

There's a movie called "A New Hope"?

Superman Returns. This was my second viewing of the film having seen it in the theatre upon original release in 2006. I remember being disappointed by it back then for a number of reasons. Luthors plot to create a new continent while obliterating the western US seemed too similar to Superman: The Movie, in fact using Luthor rather than bringing in a new antagonist was disappointing and, the one that bugged me the most, Superman and Lois having a child together.  This time around I found the movie much more enjoyable due perhaps to lower expectations. The super-child plot point still doesn't sit well with me but overall it is a pretty good movie. Compared to the more bombastic offerings from Marvel in the past decade Superman Returns is somewhat low key and has as much emphasis on the people and their relationships as it does on action sequences and I appreciated that.

I bought a "Triple Feature" blu-ray that included Superman The Movie, Superman ll:The Richard Donner Cut and Superman Returns.  I found Superman Returns works better when viewed as the third part of that series rather than a stand alone.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

There's a movie called "A New Hope"?

It's hard to tell when you're kidding, Jeff.

When the prequels came out, they renamed Star Wars (1977) as Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.

"It's hard to tell when you're kidding, Jeff."

That's the way I like it.

You left out the "uh huh uh huh" parts, but I heard them in my head anyway.

BABY CART ON THE RIVER STYX: The second Lone Wolf & Cub movie. (A more accurate translation of the Japanese title would be "Perambulator on the River Sanzo.") The movie adapts "The Flute of the Fallen Tiger" among others.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service