Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh! Also (I was going to say)...

The next movie in sequence should have been Destroy All Monsters, but I skipped it for two reasons: first, I have probably seen that one more often than King King vs. Godzilla; and second, I like to sequence Destroy All Monsters at the end of the Showa era because it takes place in the "future" (1999). 

Val - This is the documentary about Val Kilmer. He carried his own video camera and filmed at every movie he did it seems like. You also get clips from when he was a kid, as his younger brother was an aspiring director and they made their own movies were they lived. Most of Val's lines are narrated by his son Jack, as Val had throat cancer and can barely talk himself now. That is what makes it a tough watch at times. He shuffles sometimes instead of walking, and he looks about 10 years older than he is.

I will say that his ex-wife Joanne Whalley still looks pretty good.

Recommended.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Richard, have you started watching these four yet?

So far I've watched The Face of Marble. Now that you've reviewed all four on the DVD I think I'll review all four as soon as I finish them. (fitting them in between other things)

Sorry to hear that about Val Kilmer.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Val - This is the documentary about Val Kilmer. He carried his own video camera and filmed at every movie he did it seems like. You also get clips from when he was a kid, as his younger brother was an aspiring director and they made their own movies were they lived. Most of Val's lines are narrated by his son Jack, as Val had throat cancer and can barely talk himself now. That is what makes it a tough watch at times. He shuffles sometimes instead of walking, and he looks about 10 years older than he is.

I will say that his ex-wife Joanne Whalley still looks pretty good.

Recommended.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Val - This is the documentary about Val Kilmer. He carried his own video camera and filmed at every movie he did it seems like. You also get clips from when he was a kid, as his younger brother was an aspiring director and they made their own movies were they lived. Most of Val's lines are narrated by his son Jack, as Val had throat cancer and can barely talk himself now. That is what makes it a tough watch at times. He shuffles sometimes instead of walking, and he looks about 10 years older than he is.

Richard Willis said:

Sorry to hear that about Val Kilmer.

From The Washington Post"AII Gave Val Kilmer His Voice Back. But Critics Worry the Technology Could Be Misused."

(Subhead) "British Start-up Sonantic Used Old Films of Hollywood Actor to Re-create His Natural Voice"

The Washington Post wrote:

“My voice as I knew it was taken away from me. People around me struggle to understand me when I’m talking,” said a voice, immediately recognizable as the actor Val Kilmer, in a video shared on YouTube last week.

The Hollywood actor lost his natural voice after a surgery for throat cancer in 2015, shattering his career and permanently altering the way he communicates. That is, until late last year when Sonantic, a U.K.-based software firm that clones voices for actors and studios, helped Kilmer to speak again.

Even the most widespread artificial voices based on real people, like Apple’s Siri and Amazon’s Alexa, sound fake. But a wave of start-ups are deploying artificially intelligent voice-cloning services for digital assistants, video games and movie studios.

The generated voices have gotten more realistic in the age of deepfakes, a technology that uses AI to manipulate content to look and sound deceptively real. This media is so good that it is sometimes tough to tell the difference between human voices and their synthetic counterparts.

Five years after Kilmer’s surgery, his representatives contacted Sonantic to digitally restore his lost voice.

As I sometimes say, isn't it wonderful, living in the future?

Seven Days In May featuring a Rod Serling screenplay which is based on a novel about a conspiracy among the Joint Chiefs of Staff to effect a military coup in order to remove a president who is about to dis-arm the nuclear arsenal. Suspenseful.

Alfred Hitchcock's 15 Best Films Ranked

Of these, I have seen eight and not seen seven (and Marnie isn't even on the list). I haven't even seen the one ranked #1. I realize that lists such as this are just someone else's opinion and My MMV, but I find tham useful nevertheless. (How bad could the movie ranked #1 be?) I have added two to my list of movies to watch. 

The Green Knight (2021): I'll be reviewing this, elsewhere, later this weekend. An art-house-tinged, intriguing adaptation of the fourteenth-century work. I think it wants to be the 2001: A Space Odyssey of medieval fantasy films and, if it doesn't quite accomplish that, it only runs a couple of hours and I think it will bear at least one rewatch.

Woodstock 99: Peace, Love and Rage (2021): a problematic but thought-provoking look back at a problematic festival that ended in flames.

Seen it many times. One of my very favorites.

doc photo said:

Seven Days In May featuring a Rod Serling screenplay which is based on a novel about a conspiracy among the Joint Chiefs of Staff to effect a military coup in order to remove a president who is about to dis-arm the nuclear arsenal. Suspenseful.

Except for Blackmail (1929) I've seen them all. I'll have to seek it out.

Ranking movies is something I have trouble doing. I've always enjoyed Hitch's movies to one degree or another. I think my favorite is Shadow of a Doubt.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Alfred Hitchcock's 15 Best Films Ranked

Of these, I have seen eight and not seen seven (and Marnie isn't even on the list). I haven't even seen the one ranked #1. I realize that lists such as this are just someone else's opinion and My MMV, but I find tham useful nevertheless. (How bad could the movie ranked #1 be?) I have added two to my list of movies to watch. 

John Frankenheimer, who directed Seven Days in May, also directed two of my other favorite movies: The Manchurian Candidate (1962) and Reindeer Games (2000).

I see that he also directed Ronin (1998), one that I haven't seen yet. I'll have to get to it soon.

Having just plowed through hundreds of movie descriptions over in the just-posted Greatest Movies threads, I was surprised by the number of movies where I can’t remember if I saw them, or have just read so much about them that I think I’ve seen them. Same applies here, especially that Hitchcock list! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service