Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 57983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah yes, The Brain That Wouldn't Die aka The Head That Wouldn't Die - possibly my favorite "it's so bad, it's good" movie. Much of the movie looks as if it were filmed in someones basement.

Some of our funniest at-home jokes about The Killer Shrews were the same ones on MST3K. 

The Baron said:

Sometimes, I feel as though you and Tracy are your own "Mads": "We'll send us cheesy movies, the worst we can find. We'll have to sit and watch them all, and we'll monitor our minds."

Watched MST3K's version of The Brain That Wouldn't Die last night. they may not have picked a very good one for Joel to go out on (Mitchell) but they picked a great one for Mike to com in on. 

Re-watching On the Beach  (1959).  A good movie, but not what you'd call cheerful.

And now to watch something a little more cheerful: The Meaning of Life (1983)

Next up is Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003).

Just settling in to my annual Christmas viewing of Shin Godzilla" (2016), or, as I like to think of it, the least faithful adaptation of A Christmas Carol ever made.
"Godzilla blast us, every one!"
Tiny Tim

"...the least faithful adaptation of A Christmas Carol ever made."

I think that "honor" goes to the FX version (2019).

You know, the one in which Ebenezer Scrooge demands sexual favors from Mrs. Cratchit in exchange for forgiveness of her husband's debt, only to humiliate her after she has stripped naked for him. 

Sacred fecal matter! I think that I will make sure to never watch that one.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"...the least faithful adaptation of A Christmas Carol ever made."

I think that "honor" goes to the FX version (2019).

You know, the one in which Ebenezer Scrooge demands sexual favors from Mrs. Cratchit in exchange for forgiveness of her husband's debt, only to humiliate her after she has stripped naked for him. 

I watch every version of A Christmas Carol I can find, but I won't watch that one.

"Sacred fecal matter! I think that I will make sure to never watch that one."

"I watch every version of A Christmas Carol I can find, but I won't watch that one."

You are both wise beyond your years. I wish I had never seen it. The only good thing that came out of me watching it is that now I can knowledgably warn others such as yourselves away from it. 

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY: I recently re-read the book but, because it is a collection of short stories, I wasn't in a big hurry to re-watch the movie because it's not closely tied to the source. Judy Havelock (renamed "Melina" for the film) is from the story of the same name, as is her weapon of choice: the crossbow. The characters Lisl Baum, Kristatos and Colombo as well as the tape recorder ploy are also taken from For Your Eyes Only ("Risico"). The bit in which Bond and Melina are dragged behind a boat over a coral reef is taken from Live and Let Die (the earlier movie version of that book wasn't very faithful to its source). 

This is the best of the Moore movies to date, which is surprising because it's sandwiched between the two worst of the entire franchise (Moonraker and Octopussy). After the outer space farce which was Moonraker, Cubby Broccoli adopted a "back to basics" approach. (I'll have to re-watch "From a View to a Kill" again to determine whether or not it's better than For Your Eyes Only; I just don't recall.) I must admit that I was much more impressed in 1981 by Bond's refusal to sleep with the 16-year-old who tried to seduce him than I am today. 

If one were looking for a trilogy featuring the first three actors to play James Bond, I might suggest On Her Majesty's Secret Service (George Lazenby), Diamonds are Forever (Sean Connery) and For Your Eyes Only (Roger Moore), all of which feature Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Actually, Blofeld is "featured" only in the pre-title sequence of For Your Eyes Only, which begins with Bond visiting his wife's grave and provides a nice little "epilogue" to the Blofeld "trilogy." (Blofeld was introduced in Thunderball, the book and the movie.) For Your Eyes Only is still incredibly campy in comparison to any of the Danial Craig outings. 

Oh, look what I found:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

A CHRISTMAS CAROL (FX, 2019): Did any of you guys see this? It aired December 19th, but we saved it until Christmas Eve. It was presented as a dark version of the Dickens classic. I assumed it was also to be a faithful version, but it was anything but. I usually experience A Christmas Carol each year in some fashion, and this year I picked this new TV movie. I’m definitely ambivalent about the results. On the one hand, it follows the basic plot but grafts an entirely new backstory on to the original, but on the other, as this three hour version wore on, I became almost morbidly obsessed to see what travesty they were going to present next.

They didn’t use any of the Dickens dialogue until 52 minutes in, then again, briefly, at the very end. In this version, Scrooge and Marley are not just ruthless businessman, they are personally responsible for the deaths of dozens of workers in businesses they have purchased. Also, Scrooge takes sexual advantage of Bob Cratchit’s wife… oh, and she’s a witch who summons the spirits in the first place. I could go on but I won’t. I had to re-read the original the next day to purge the FX version from my short term memory.

(If you needed any further reasons not to watch it.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"An early Kubert. From 1954."
1 hour ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022
"And I just found out a few weeks ago that Behemoth Comics is in Richardson, TX a suburb of…"
1 hour ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022
"I used to joke about looking forward to the day when there would be wrestling comics, because I…"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022
"Homage alert! Did you forget something Tony? Going into battle without a helmet seems reckless.…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
4 hours ago
Captain Comics posted a discussion

Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022

<p style="clear: both;">BOOM!BRIAR #1…See More
5 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"One "good" sea monster deserves another. (Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)"
5 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"No word yet. Looks like it'll be Friday. "
5 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"This one was a treasured gem in my collection! "
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"Before delving into the John Byrne era, I would like to take a slightly-out-of-order look at the…"
7 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"They'd be idiots not to renew it.Not that they aren't idiots."
8 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service