Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 57031

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Baron said:

The Cocoanuts (1929)

And last night:  Animal Crackers (1930)

I watched Magical Mystery Tour for the third time in my life last night.

GOOD music... "EHH!" film. The crazy thing was how colorful it was (being made in late 1967), yet it was run on the BBC, which was in B&W and did not go color until at least 2 years later.

Oddly enough, I first saw MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR in a theatre, on a late-night weekend show.

The last couple days...

THE MIRROR CRACK'D  (Angela Landsbury)

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE  (Louis Hayward)

TEN LITTLE INDIANS  (Hugh O'Brien)

First time I ever watched those 2 versions of the same story back-to-back.

Tonight...

THE ALPHABET MURDERS

* if you've ever seen this movie... yes, I am a glutton for punishment!  It's kinda like HELP! without the music... or funny parts.

"I don't know why they're having so much trouble.  It's perfectly simple.  The solution is A B C to anyone with half a brain."
--Miss Jane Marple

Saturday night in Greenville, so as usual I hit the DVDs. First up was Queen of the Damned. I got this as part of a cheap four disc set, and until it had been running a few minutes I didn't think I'd seen it before. Then I remembered, but it's still pretty good. I like the emphasis on music, cheesy though it is. See, metal really is evil!

Then I finished my Dracula set with The Thirsty Dead (1974). This is not a vampire movie at all: it's about a death cult that uses blood to achieve eternal life. And it's really bad, not even in the "so bad it's good" category. An unfortunate ending to a cheap set that had some good stuff on it. 

Now I'm watching a Witchblade episode from my set of the complete series.

Not on topic to any movies discussed so far, but I saw Frankenweinie with my two sons Friday. Nice little film, animated feature done by Tim Burton featuring all sorts of little homages to those who picked up on them. Don't know how long the film was, but it wasn't very long, though.

According to IMDB.com, Frankenweenie is 87 minutes long. Using stop-motion animation, 87 minutes is impressive. Things we enjoy always seem too short.

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Cocoanuts (1929)

And last night:  Animal Crackers (1930)

Last night: Monkey Business (1931)

and this morning: Horse Feathers (1932)

I watched Get the Gringo the latest from Mel Gibson. Not sure if this got a theatrical release or was straight to video. I caught it on Netflix's instant watch. While not the best movie it was certainly entertaining and a throwback of sorts to Mel's action days of the early 90s.

I've been watching a few of ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaries. I watched the newest one on Tuesday night, 97.9, about the human growth hormone scandal of the 1988 Seoul Olympics. It was very good and at times creepy.

They have the first season or two of the other films on Netflix. I watched Jordan Rides the Bus about Michael Jordan's stint in minor league baseball. Also watched the Greatest that Never Was about a highschool football star with great promise who never quite made it big.

It's 9.79 not 97.9.

Jason Marconnet said:

I've been watching a few of ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaries. I watched the newest one on Tuesday night, 97.9, about the human growth hormone scandal of the 1988 Seoul Olympics. It was very good and at times creepy.

They have the first season or two of the other films on Netflix. I watched Jordan Rides the Bus about Michael Jordan's stint in minor league baseball. Also watched the Greatest that Never Was about a highschool football star with great promise who never quite made it big.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Jeff of Earth-J said: "First & Last" is evergreen. I'm fine with putting that…"
48 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
""First & Last" is evergreen. I'm fine with putting that off until October if you…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Shaolin Cowboy
"DARK HORSE #1-4 - "Shemp Buffet": As I mentioned above, v54 #7 ended on a cliffhanger in…"
1 hour ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Oh yes, of course. "First & Last". Forgot that. Could we run with Joe Kubert in…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Kubert would be fine with me, but what about "First & Last"? I thought that was gonna…"
1 hour ago
"Have we come up with a subject yet for September? I remember someone suggested a while ago, that we…"
2 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"We watched the first season of <i>Undone</i>, the rotoscoped psychological…"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
2 hours ago
"In my humble opinion, an amusement park is another phrase for a funfair."
2 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Giant Little Ones (2018): indie coming-of-age movie with some strong performances (and Kyle…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Spidey seems to spend a lot of time at carnivals"
3 hours ago
Tracy of Moon-T replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"This was a good issue, full of folk tales and scary stories. A delightful issue that continues the…"
3 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service