Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 41623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw the Imitation Game tonight. It's another Oscar nominee. It's about a group of folks working to crack the Nazis enigma code. While the film focused on that it was really about group leader, Alan Turning's, life. It was a good movie and Benedict Cumberbatch turns in an excellent performance.
Watched Grand Budapest Hotel yesterday. I was expecting quirky, little did I know this was also an adventure film. I really enjoyed it.

Took a break from Oscar caliber cinema and watched the Neighbors. It's an R rated comedy with Seth Rogen and Zach Efron. I found it humorous at times but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Watched a couple of movies that are about to expire from Netflix streaming. Zodiac (about the serial killer) was excellent, and I somehow missed it before. Panic Room is a good thriller. I think I've seen it before, but on broadcast TV with editing and commercials.

For my Saturday night horror fix I watched Mimic 3: Sentinel, a direct to video sequel that was new to me. It was surprisingly good. For much of the running time it's quite subtle: we don't see the monsters, just photographs that imply them (rather like Blow-up).

...Living in San Francisco then , there were two different movies about the Zodiac case produced earlier in this century at about the same time . (Someone should write a book investigating/history-izing why this happens so much - I mean , two Truman Capote biographies !) The bigger-deal of the two played the big (by SF real estate standards) downtown SF multiplex and had a really bizarre advertisement on said 'plex's neon sign-style marquee , I'll describe it if anyone shows any interest at a time when I'm not on this tiny tablet ~ and counting down to leaving the hospital , where I had - Well , later . - , tho at least it's typing the letter " a " now .

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

Watched a couple of movies that are about to expire from Netflix streaming. Zodiac (about the serial killer) was excellent, and I somehow missed it before. Panic Room is a good thriller. I think I've seen it before, but on broadcast TV with editing and commercials.

For my Saturday night horror fix I watched Mimic 3: Sentinel, a direct to video sequel that was new to me. It was surprisingly good. For much of the running time it's quite subtle: we don't see the monsters, just photographs that imply them (rather like Blow-up).

I saw Birdman yesterday. I really liked it. It was well filmed and quite funny. I can't remember another time I've seen an entire film's cast have such terrific chemisty as this one.

I finally saw American Hustle recently.  I thought it was enjoyable enough, but I have no burning desire to watch it again.

I mention it only because I saw a DVD in the store today, read the back cover, and thought "The person who wrote this blurb didn't watch this movie."  Not in the "this is way over-hyped" sense.  In the "It is impossible to have watched this movie and made the mistakes describing the characters and plot that I'm reading right now" sense.

I thought Hustle was all right. From the casting, though, you could tell they wanted a barn-burner -- an awards winner, a classic, what-have-you. But what we got was, "all right." I won't watch it again, either.

My wife and I saw an ad for Hot Tub Time Machine 2 and I said, "I've never seen the first one, but I think I meant to." She agreed. Maybe we should start a list.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I finally saw American Hustle recently. I thought it was enjoyable enough, but I have no burning desire to watch it again.
I mention it only because I saw a DVD in the store today, read the back cover, and thought "The person who wrote this blurb didn't watch this movie." Not in the "this is way over-hyped" sense. In the "It is impossible to have watched this movie and made the mistakes describing the characters and plot that I'm reading right now" sense.

My favorite erroneous blurb is the misstatement on the back cover of the DVD case for Hamburger Hill:

".... one of the fiercest battles of America's bloodiest war."

It's like somebody crossed out the word "longest" and substituted "bloodiest" because it sounded more exciting. The Civil War continues to be the bloodiest in terms of dead Americans. In terms of overall deaths, WWII is on top.

I heard it was a flop, so you weren't the only one that didn't care for it.
The Hulk cartoon with Lou Ferrigno's voice had the Leader practically whisper. Since the UPN ran loud music all through the show sometimes I had no idea what he was saying. Saw the cartoon on youtube and the music wasn't there.

Donovan's Brain, starring Lew Ayres and the future Nancy Reagan. The production values were first-rate.

Didn't Donovan win the Academy Award for Best Performance by a Disembodied Organ? If not, he was robbed.

Richard Willis said:

Donovan's Brain, starring Lew Ayres and the future Nancy Reagan. The production values were first-rate.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service