Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 26261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hampton Yount is a name they would have gone to town with in the olden days.

THE TIME TRAVELLERS (MST3K): I’ve said before that the best fodder for MST3K are movies that are intended to be good. I think that’s the case with 1964’s The Time Travellers. At least it co-stars two pretty good recognizable actors: John Hoyt (Star Trek’s Dr. Boyce from “The Cage”) and Dennis Patrick (Dark Shadows’ Jason McGuire). The movie starts with possibly the most reckless group of scientists ever. Their goal is to open a window into the future to observe. Unexpectedly, they discover it is possible to step through the window into the future, which, one by one they do, until the machine breaks down stranding them there.

There is an older male scientist, a younger male scientist, a young female scientist and a young technician used primarily for comic relief. The technician has the hots for the female scientist, but she has eyes for the young male scientist. They travel 107 years into the future. The Earth is populated by a handful of humans who have built androids to serve them, as well as a race of mutants who attack the humans. The humans have built a rocket and plan to flee Earth to Alpha Centauri to escape the mutants. They cannot take the four 20th century humans with them (weight restrictions), but they are willing to help them replicate their time machine to send them back into the past. Unfortunately, the mutants attack destroying the rocket and they all have to escape back to the 20th century. That doesn’t work as planned, however, but I won’t spoil the final twist.

Many of the “special effects” of this movie are simple magician’s stage illusions. Like Cry Wilderness, the jokes are rapid-fire and many of them are laugh-out-loud funny. The jokes cover a wide range of references; sometime only Tracy laughs, sometimes only I do, sometimes we both do. Tracy tells me that Cry Wilderness now has its own Wikipedia page, which it didn’t have prior to last Friday.

RETURN TO THE PLANET OF THE APES: We’re almost finished watching this 1975 cartoon series. I’m enjoying it more than I expected to (and I did expect to). Tracy pointed out that the voice actor who plays General Urko is the same guy who provides the voice for Fred Flintstone. I would have made the connection on my own, but now that she’s pointed it out it unmistakable. Every time Urko speaks,I imagine it’s Fred Flintstone in an ape suit.

KING KONG (2006): I saw this one at the theater but remember almost nothing about it other than it was long and I liked it. The details came back to me as I watched. It’s action-packed, but a lot of the escapes require a rather large grain of salt to swallow. I would say the 1977 remake is to the original as the new one is to this version.

RETURN TO THE PLANET OF THE APES: Ends on a major cliffhanger. I was afraid it would. Oh, well.

Has there been a King Kong/Planet of the Apes crossover?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

plays General Urko is the same guy who provides the voice for Fred Flintstone. I would have made the connection on my own, but now that she’s pointed it out it unmistakable. Every time Urko speaks,I imagine it’s Fred Flintstone in an ape suit.

Like this?

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

Has there been a King Kong/Planet of the Apes crossover?

If the apes developed film technology, would they make a movie about a giant human who climbs up the tallest building in ape city holding a female chimpanzee?

“Has there been a King Kong/Planet of the Apes crossover?”

Not that I know of. Third down on my reading list, though, is the new King Kong vs. Tarzan crossover mass market paperback.

“Like this?”

Ha! I had forgotten about that.

Stephen King's "IT" re-imagined as a feel-good family movie.

http://ihorror.com/stephen-kings-it-miniseries-recut/

THEM: Would you believe I had never seen this movie until this weekend? It was much better than I expected it to be, but I expected to enjoy it either way (which I did).

MAD MONSTER PARTY: Tracy discovered this Rankin & Bass cult favorite while searching for Frankenstein movies. Turns out my sister took me to see this at The Strand theater in St. Charles, Mo. when I was only three years old. I have memories of her taking me to see an animated puppet movie, but I had no idea what it was. As soon as I saw the DVD I knew this might be it, and when I matched a particular piece of dialogue I was 100% certain. I asked my sister about about it this weekend, but she didn’t even remember taking me to see a movie. I remember afterward she said she thought it was stupid, but Harvey Kurtzman was one of the writers and the puppet designs were by Jack Davis, not to mention, two of the voices were provided by Boris Karloff and Phyllis Diller. I don’t know why this wasn’t shown annually on Hallowe’en the way the Rankin & Bass Christmas specials were. This would have been a perennial classic instead of a cult classic. It’s my new favorite Rankin & Bass.

THEM! is one of my favorite movies from that period, right up there with THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD or FORBIDDEN PLANET.

The tension is very real and the ants, while incredibly dangerous, are not indestructible. Great acting and superb writing.

Plus it led to Fess Parker getting the role of Davey Crockett and had an appearance by a young Leonard Nimoy!

MAD MONSTER PARTY is a fun movie with our favorite monsters "domesticated", so to speak! It's definitely a precursor to the HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA films.

And there was an animated sequel of sorts!

There you go reading my mind again, Philip.

How would you feel about a THEM!/Beginning of the End double-feature?

Philip Portelli said:

THEM! is one of my favorite movies from that period, right up there with THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD or FORBIDDEN PLANET.

The effects in Them! are pretty bad, and probably looked fake when the film came out, but the film itself holds up. They took it seriously and directed it as a horror/thriller.

I've seen Beginning of the End (parts of it, anyway), and I think I was conflating that with Them!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service