Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 26756

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Going to a Guardians 1-2 double feature in 3D in 30 minutes!

Captain Comics said:

Going to a Guardians 1-2 double feature in 3D in 30 minutes!
Cool.

Awesome!

I bet there is no one trying to sell copies of the very first appearance of the original (true?) Guardians - as seen on the Cover A Day thread. No one in the cinemas would recognise them or understand........only us.

I daresay no one but us would recognize the original versions of the movie characters, either.

THE BEAST OF HOLLOW MOUNTAIN (MST3K): This is a big-budget UA monster flick that desperately wants to be a cowboy romance. It’s barely a monster movie at all, the “beast” not even appearing until more than half-way in, I would say. When it does appear, it’s a Claymation T-rex, not exactly what I was expecting. No explanation was given other than the “legend” of the beast. Most of the film deals with a love triangle among an American and Mexican rancher for a local lovely in Mexico. It’s pretty cheesy. Lots and lots of jokes. Tracy and I laughed through the whole thing, sometimes her, sometimes me, sometimes both of us.

I haven’t said much about the new cast and interstitial bits of the new MST3K. I think they are every bit as funny and well-conceived as the originals. Jonah Heston is a good host, the re-cast bots are nearly indistinguishable from the old [plus Gypsy plays a bigger part and Tom Servo flies (but only in the theater)], and the next generations of Mads [Felicia Day as Kinga Forrester and Patton Oswalt asMax (TV’s son of TV’s Frank)] are worthy successors to their parents.

Really enjoying these so far. Will miss them when we’ve burned through.

The film (I believe) uses a process called "replacement animation," which differs from claymation but produces similar looking results. I'm also fairly confident that some of the close-ups of the monster's feet were just some guy walking in Acme dino-boots.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I daresay no one but us would recognize the original versions of the movie characters, either.

THE BEAST OF HOLLOW MOUNTAIN (MST3K): This is a big-budget UA monster flick that desperately wants to be a cowboy romance. It’s barely a monster movie at all, the “beast” not even appearing until more than half-way in, I would say. When it does appear, it’s a

These are the last two Frankenstein movies I will be watching for a while.

I, FRANKENSTEIN: This one deals with the “legendary” aspects and brings the story into the present day right off. Then it breaches fantasy territory. Within five minutes I knew I wasn’t going to like this one.

VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN: This one stars Daniel Radcliffe as Igor and reimagines him as being Frankenstein’s partner. Within five minutes I knew I was going to like this one.

There are only so many ways Hollywood can retell the same story over and over and over. The ones I like best are the versions that take the legend someplace new, The Bride or Frankenstein Unbound, for example. Whereas I, Frankenstein does take the story someplace new, it it so far outside the box that it’s off the table and outside the door. The box is not even in sight. Re-casting Igor as a co-equal participant in Victor Frankenstein doesn’t sound as if it would work, but it does. Plus, this movie strikes two different chords with me on a personal level.

THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953): I have always meant to see this movie, but didn’t get around to it until this past weekend. Considering I’m not dead yet, I’ll consider that “on target.” A classic.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953): I have always meant to see this movie, but didn’t get around to it until this past weekend. Considering I’m not dead yet, I’ll consider that “on target.” A classic.

It just about blew my mind when T told me you two'd never seen this. I'm pretty sure I'd seen it 10 times by the time I turned ten. I know I've watched it over a hundred times in my life.

One of the all-time greats, and, with King Kong (1933), one of the inspirations for Gojira (1954).

I know, it had the potential to be that for me, too. On some alternate Earth, perhaps, there's a Jeff who has seen it as often as I've seen King Kong or Frankenstein. But there's always a price to pay, some trade-off..

I've never seen it in full but it's on my DVR!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I haven't seen it either, and it's NOT on my DVR! SOB! I've wanted to see this since I was 10!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service