Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 24625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Better Beginning of the End than The Deadly Mantis!

The best way to watch The Beginning of the End  is to watch the MST3K version of it.

I thought you were going to say drunk.

Well, it won't hurt!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I thought you were going to say drunk.

But if you're drunk, how can you WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES!!!

MARY SHELLEY’S FRANKENSTEIN: This is the Kenneth Branagh/Robert DeNiro version. It’s been a while since I’ve seen this. I think it was the third time overall. It’s an interesting take on the legend. My purpose seems to have cooled somewhat in the last weeks, but I still have two “Frankenstein” movies left to watch.

photo whistling.gif Carry on my wayward son

There’ll be peace when you are done

Lay your weary head to rest

"Frankenstein" no more …  photo whistling.gif

Jeff of Earth-J said:

MARY SHELLEY’S FRANKENSTEIN: This is the Kenneth Branagh/Robert DeNiro version. It’s been a while since I’ve seen this. I think it was the third time overall. It’s an interesting take on the legend. My purpose seems to have cooled somewhat in the last weeks, but I still have two “Frankenstein” movies left to watch.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

But if you're drunk, how can you WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES!!!
"Hello..." "I'm Peter Graves."

photo whistling.gif He tried to kill me with a forklift ...  photo whistling.gif

"'There's a bathroom on the right ..."

He Walked by Night (1948): the unofficial pilot for Dragnet, in much the way that Forbidden Planet is the unofficial pilot for Star Trek. The noiresque film even features “the names have been changed…” and Jack Webb in a supporting role. Its use of the LA sewer systems during the climax seems pretty clearly to have influenced Them!

AVALANCHE (MST3K): This 1978 disaster flick (a term which has more than one meaning in this case), stars Rock Hudson and Mia Farrow. That’s about the only redeeming feature of the film itself. Tracy didn’t think much of the film itself or the jokes, but I enjoyed it just as much as I did the previous three.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service