Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 27646

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tract?

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Tract?
Surely you remember Tract of Moog-T?

Monty Python around?!?!?

I didn't even know Jeff was IN the closet. Shows what I know.

We just watch the DVD of Will Eisner: Profession: Cartoonist. It's a comprehensive documentary of his life and career up to 1999, when he was still alive and producing new graphic novels. Anyone watching this DVD should be aware that there are three parts (dubbed "episodes") and not think the credits on the first one are the end of the documentary. Just tell it to "play all."

I note that there is another documentary from 2007 called Will Eisner: Portrait of a Sequential Artist, which I haven't seen. I will try to get it. 

This evening, I watched Future Shocks! The Story of 2000AD on Amazon Prime. Wow. What a great documentary. It wasn't groundbreaking in terms of documentary films, but in interest-level, it was really great. It went from the start of 2000AD to the dark days (when everyone from 2KAD went and started Vertigo with Karen Berger), to the modern days. Such an interesting look at the British comics scene done with interviews by so so many British comics creators.

I had no idea that existed -- I'll have to check it out!

Hard Eight (1996)

Before Paul Thomas Anderson was making sweeping epics like Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood, and before John C Reilly was in pretty much every movie in existence, they made Hard Eight. This is a gritty atmospheric crime drama about small time Las Vegas hustlers. Low key and small in scale but very well done.

Yesterday, I saw Cleopatra Jones, one of the classic Blaxploitation flicks from back in the day. Starring the late Tamara Dobson as the title character, a mysterious federal agent who opens the movie by ordering the torching of a poppy field -- which of course, raises the ire of Mommy, the head of the heroin operation. Mommy is Shelly Winters, chewing all the scenery within reach to the extent that she ought to have surrendered one of her Oscars out of sheer embarassment.

The story mostly focuses on Jones protecting a community center in her old neighborhood in Los Angeles, even though she's a jet-setter who drives a Camaro (which has an arsenal in the glove compartment) and wears fabulous clothes right out of the pages of a fashion magazine. She may be an agent, but she ain't secret. Everybody notices her when she strides, regally, down the street.

Being 6'2", Dobson is hard to miss, especially with that giant Afro. Right on, sister! Right on!

Comet TV has been running old shows like Blackula and Sugar Hill. The later is about a woman who calls on Baron Samedi to kill the gang that murdered her boyfriend.

Finally got to see Fail-Safe (1964) Interesting movie.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service