Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 27653

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Speaking of the music, I ordered the soundtrack on CD sight unseen. Turns out I should have looked a little closer than not at all. Turns out the CD is of the original score, not the collection of '70s songs I was hoping for. This could have been the Guardians of the Galaxy "Awesome Mix" done right (non-campy, I mean).

In the era of iTunes, I've managed to track down just about every song I could want. So sometimes, if I enjoy a particular soundtrack, I'll assemble a playlist of all the songs on the soundtrack and then just name the playlist "Kong Skull Island Soundtrack" or whatever's appropriate. Not quite the same thing but still pretty useful.

TCM ran "Our Miss Brooks", the movie that ended the series.  From radio to tv to movies, not a bad run for that.  I'd forgotten that Desilu produced it.  I don't think that Lucille Ball and Eve Arden ever worked together, but it would have been fun to see if they did.

Watched Here Alone, in which Macaulay Culkin pranks zombies with elaborate booby traps and hilarious hi-jinks as they try to eat his brain.

Actually, it's a zombie movie that doesn't ever use the word zombie (a sure sign of self-seriousness), about a woman living in the woods of upstate New York after a mysterious virus turns people into insane cannibals a la 28 Days Later and civilization collapses. She has to occasionally foray into houses near the woods for supplies, and uses elaborate methods to forestall discovery (mostly involving disguising her scent). Meanwhile, she lives in the woods on the edge of starvation, occasionally listening on a hand-cranked radio to the only human voice available, an automated radio message in French (presumably from Montreal), a language she doesn't speak. Eventually she meets two other survivors, and complications ensue, mostly of the interpersonal sort.

I give points for the movie showing just how dismal "living off the land" really is, as our survivor digs for grubs, studies a manual on which berries aren't poisonous and sets rabbit traps that never work. (Note to super-confident survivalists: You're putting too much faith in your guns. You can't eat bullets.) But it's both boring and depressing.

And again, points for the movie not rushing things when the other two survivors show up. A subtle friction begins to build, so when things hit a climax, it doesn't come out of the blue -- you understand why everyone acts the way they do. but again, once you realize where they're going, it's boring and depressing as you wait for it to happen.

It's only barely a zombie movie, as you rarely see the infected (they are apparently quite lethal). And you also learn via flashbacks that the woman began living in the woods with her husband and baby, and what happened to them.

Some may call this low-key suspense. I found it mildly diverting, and then wanted my time back.

You know, your gag premise would be watchable.

Captain Comics said:

Watched Here Alone, in which Macaulay Culkin pranks zombies with elaborate booby traps and hilarious hi-jinks as they try to eat his brain.

Watched The Rezort.

After a zombie breakout, mankind wins the war at the cost of 2 billion dead. We do not see this, as the movie was made for $15M in the UK.

Now the only remaining zombies are on a resort island, where guided safaris allow people to shoot zombies for recreation or therapy. What could possibly go wrong?

Yes, it's Jurassic Park with zombies. (Points to my wife for that observation.) Pretty predictable, and the non-action scenes are unbearably slow. There is some social commentary that is right with the times, but the existence of an undead rights organization is a bridge too far for me.

Surprise casting: The silent, war-weary stranger is played by the same guy who was Thomas Abigail on Fear the Walking Dead. The heroine played Huntress on Arrow.

Am I deliberately watching mediocre zombie movies to inflict these comments on you? No, this is what happens when your life is built around watching a lot of television but suddenly all of your shows are in between seasons.

Finally got to see Lego Batman the other day. I think I was expecting it to be funnier, but I still liked it a lot.

Just watched the Karloff version of The Mummy... a tight little wonder of a movie. I don't think I ever saw this one as a kid. I expected more "wrapped up" mummy action, but still really enjoyed it.

As a kid, I wondered how The Mummy ever caught anyone. Hammer solved that problem by having a fast mummy.

Randy, I've heard nothing but rave reviews of LEGO Batman. But you thought it was just OK?

No, not at all. I was expecting it to be much sillier and goofier than it was, but it ended up having lots of heart. So while I was expecting something else, what I got was pretty good.

Captain Comics said:

Randy, I've heard nothing but rave reviews of LEGO Batman. But you thought it was just OK?

I watched The Scientology Movie this evening. It was on Netflix. This was equal parts hilarious and upsetting and alarming. I have watched the Lean Remini series on A&E, but this just reinforced everything I saw from that show. This is bizarre, and it shows just how crazy of a cult this is.

Watched Broken Arrow (1950, James Stewart, Debra Paget) over the weekend. It was filmed in and around Sedona, AZ, where Tract and I were married. We pulled it out of the video closet last November on our anniversary, but didn't get around to watching it until this weekend.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

We pulled it out of the video closet last November on our anniversary, but didn't get around to watching it until this weekend.

No need to rush.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service