Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 27524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I "saw" that one coming.

The Baron said:

Now, see if you can guess what the next movie I'm going to watch will be.

This discussion is getting unbalanced.

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

Saw Saw (2004). See. Saw. See?

Saw Saw II (2005), too.

Saw Saw III (2006).

Saw Saw IV (2007).

BLADERUNNER: I watched Bladerunner over the weekend for the second time ever. I didn’t see it at the theater in 1982, but I did see it a couple of years later at a free Student Association movie while in college, so maybe 1985…? I liked it okay at the time but didn’t remember too much about it. It was only $6 at B&N so I thought I’d give it another look since there’s a sequel in theaters now. I kinda remembered it as it went along. I always meant to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep but have not gotten around to it (yet). We watched the “Final Cut” version and it didn’t have the ending I remember. Tracy read on the internet that there are six or seven different versions. Huh! Who knew?

The first theatrical version of Blade Runner had a tacked-on studio-mandated happy ending with Harrison Ford's character driving away from dystopian Los Angeles through beautiful untouched country. If there really was something like this close by why were they living in the dark with acid rain?

That's the ending I remember.

Spent Saturday in Manhattan, but instead of going to Comicon, I went to some repertory theaters and watched classic movies. The first one (at 11 in the morning, after too little sleep) was Andre Tarkovsky's Stalker.  A Russian science fiction movie from 1979, it's slow and contemplative, offering lots of shots of strange environments without much initial context; the viewer has to piece a lot together for himself. It's a challenging film, and one I've been dwelling on since then, going back for a second viewing on YouTube.

Then, after lunch, my friend and I went to see Bonnie and Clyde. I'd never seen it before, but it's a film that'll stick with you, too. Great performances from everyone involved, and even though you know it's going to end in tragedy, you just can't look away. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

BLADERUNNER: I watched Bladerunner over the weekend for the second time ever. I didn’t see it at the theater in 1982, but I did see it a couple of years later at a free Student Association movie while in college, so maybe 1985…? I liked it okay at the time but didn’t remember too much about it. It was only $6 at B&N so I thought I’d give it another look since there’s a sequel in theaters now. I kinda remembered it as it went along. I always meant to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep but have not gotten around to it (yet). We watched the “Final Cut” version and it didn’t have the ending I remember. Tracy read on the internet that there are six or seven different versions. Huh! Who knew?

Yeah. I'm one of the suckers who kept buying each new version across multiple formats. . They kept promising, "This is it! The definitive version" and "Now the first version fully approved by the director." and on and on... And I'll probably buy the next one in spite of myself.

Stalker is a free adaptation of Arkady and Boris Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic. It's a short novel, and has been published in English. It ends differently.

Thanks, Luke. I'll have to look into that sometime after this rewatch!

I have the 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray set, which includes the Final Edition, Director's Cut, and three others, including both of the original theatrical releases. Can't say I've done a detailed comparison of the versions, but it does seem like it's the last word!

Detective 445 said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Yeah. I'm one of the suckers who kept buying each new version across multiple formats. . They kept promising, "This is it! The definitive version" and "Now the first version fully approved by the director." and on and on... And I'll probably buy the next one in spite of myself.

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

Saw Saw (2004). See. Saw. See?

Saw Saw II (2005), too.

Saw Saw III (2006).

Saw Saw IV (2007).

Saw Saw V (2008).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service