Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 27627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What did you see Saw IV for?

I found all seven Saw movies in a package for fourteen bucks.  

Was my joke that bad?

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Was my joke that bad?
For the life of me, I couldn't think of a snappy comeback.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

I have the 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray set, which includes the Final Edition, Director's Cut, and three others, including both of the original theatrical releases. Can't say I've done a detailed comparison of the versions, but it does seem like it's the last word!

Yeah, I have that as well. But I don't have the 4k version, and of course they're claiming that "you've never seen it like this before!"

Doctor Hmmm? said:

What did you see Saw IV for?

Maybe he foresaw Saw 4 being the Saw to see before seeing Saw 5?

He saw it for $14.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Was my joke that bad?

Some movies I've caught up with:

• I just finished watching Self/less, which I somehow missed when it was in theaters a couple years ago. Ben Kingsley is a billionaire business mogul who is dying, and buys a new body -- Ryan Reynolds's body -- which he was told was generated in a lab. After the deed is done and Kingsley is set up in a new life, he finds Reynolds's body wasn't generated in a lab; he was an ordinary schmoe who sacrificed his life to pay for medical treatments for his ailing daughter. The rest of the movie is a run for his life, with the daughter and her mother in two, both bewildered that the man they thought was dead isn't, but isn't really him either. I enjoyed it, but it got low marks from critics and the public.
  • Before that, I saw Furious 7, one of the flicks in The Fast and The Furious franchise. It one of those movies that's always on, and that I've seen only in bits and pieces. I decided to watch the whole thing. It works better in bits and pieces, since it's just a string of one spectacular stunt after another. Plot? Who needs a plot? Okay: Jason Statham is the bad guy, and he's out for revenge against Vin Diesel and his crew, so they try to stop him. What more do you need? 
  • I also saw Pitch Perfect 2, which fits right in line with the genre of the inspirational sports movie about the underdog group rising to the occasion to beat impossible odds to win the big competition and save the day at the end. This time around, the "sport" is college acapella choir, which makes as much sense as anything else. It's amusing, but no great shakes.

Detective 445 said:

Yeah, I have that as well. But I don't have the 4k version, and of course they're claiming that "you've never seen it like this before!"

According to what I have read, Ultra HD (4K) disks can only be played on and Ultra HD BluRay player, not a regular Bluray player.

The Blade Runner version wars are why I don't own a copy of the movie. It's probably why I won't see the sequel in the theaters... I just won't decide on which version to re-watch.

The same goes for Evil Dead, and it's why I took so long to ever see The Professional. 

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

Saw Saw (2004). See. Saw. See?

Saw Saw II (2005), too.

Saw Saw III (2006).

Saw Saw IV (2007).

Saw Saw V (2008).

Saw Saw VI (2009).

Any sex in Saw VI?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service