Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 27627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Any sex in Saw VI?
Not that I saw.

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

Saw Saw (2004). See. Saw. See?

Saw Saw II (2005), too.

Saw Saw III (2006).

Saw Saw IV (2007).

Saw Saw V (2008).

Saw Saw VI (2009).

Saw Saw 3-D (2010), a.k.a Saw: The Final Chapter and Saw VII.

So?

Doctor Hmmm? said:

So?
Si?
Sigh...

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Sigh...
So?

The Baron said:

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Sigh...
Sorry.
S'alright.

So ... s'up?

Doctor Hmmm? said:

S'alright.

So ... s'up?
Stuff.
Sweet.

I'm going to see Blade Runner 2049 tomorrow, but I saw Professor Marston and the Wonder Women last night. I thought this about it.

I watched Sex and the City 2 last night. It was one of those cases where you've heard so much about it -- mostly negative -- and I wanted to see for myself what the fuss was about.

Well, all the people who didn't like it were right. It is an astonishingly tone-deaf paean to White Privilege. It gets especially bad in the final half-hour. The premise is that the foursome, thanks to Samantha's connections, get an all-expenses-paid trip to Adu Dhabi, in a hotel suite big enough to have its own zip code. Yet and still, utterly refusing to understand where she is, Samantha hooks up with a tourist and gets arrested.

After a night in jail, they return to the hotel, where the manager demands a credit card; their patron has cut them off. He'll cover previous expenses, but they have to pay their own way going forward -- at $22,000 per night.

In a panic, they rush to check out, grumbling that if they miss their flight, it means 13 hours "in coach." The journey to the airport isn't smooth, as Carrie has lost her passport and goes to the shoe shop where she thinks she's lost it ... after she retrieves the passport, Charlotte goes shopping to a secret boutique full of expensive watches, silks, jewelry and handbags ... Samantha leaves and the proprietor thinks she has stolen her handbag from him ... he chases and they fight over it in the street, and it breaks open, spilling dozens of condoms onto the ground.

Now, they are all really in trouble. As Samantha scoops up the purse contents, Miranda makes apologies for the disrespect to Abu Dhabi's culture as a mob of men begin to follow them. A friendly woman dressed top to bottom in hijab and abaya helps the foursome get away. She leads them to a secret room behind a florist shop, where she and her friends are in a book club, reading a Suzanne Somers self-help and exercise book. And she and her friends are all wearing the latest fashions from Paris under their robes.

The woman and her friends help Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda get away. How? Those four put on the robes (!). But they can't get a cab to stop for them, until Carrie pulls the Claudette Colbert move from It Happened One Night, pulling back her robe to reveal a flash of leg, which makes a cabbie stop immediately. bang head photo banghead.gif

No wonder the movie won three of the seven Razzie Awards it was nominated for: the four leads jointly for Worst Actress, Worst Screen Ensemble, and Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service