Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 30554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Close Richard. You're in the right area.

CORRIDORS OF BLOOD (1958): I’ve seen movies starring both Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff before, and I’ve seen movies starring both Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, but this is the first movie I’ve seen starring both Boris Karloff and Christopher Lee. I forgot what we were watching that brought this to our attention, but I knew I had to see it. It’s about a doctor (Karloff) operating before anesthesia was invented. He makes some bad choices and falls in with an unscrupulous crown who need his signature on death certificates of murder victims they sell to the teaching hospital.

When Tracy ordered the DVD online, she also added a set of six Karloff films for five bucks, so we’ll likely be watching those in the near future.

"Unscrupulous crown?"

Whoops.

"Unscrupulous crowd."

Oh! That makes a great deal more sense. Thanks!

"Oh! That's very different! Never mind." [/Emily Litella]

I was betting on unscrupulous clown or royal person.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Whoops.

"Unscrupulous crowd."

I was afraid to make an Emily Litella  joke, fearing no one would get it. that was 40 years ago!

"What's all this I hear about presidential erections?"

"Violins on television!"

“What’s all this I’ve been hearing about unscrupulous crowns? Other types of headgear can be unscrupulous, too… like derbies or fedoras… Why pick on crowns? This is an outrage!”

Never trusted berets myself. Why only pronounce SOME of the letters? They're up to something.

Hat's off to you guys for your insightful comments on the situation. You've definitely peaked my interest in this topic.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service