Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 30371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Look over here: ""Black Panther" movie discussion -- SPOILERS!!!"

ClarkKent_DC said:

I've started one! I'm still writing! 

Captain Comics said:

Re: Black Panther. We can either use one of my columns, or someone can start a new one.

Cyborg 2087.

A cyborg (Michael Rennie) takes a time machine back to the 1960s to see a professor (Eduard Franz) and change history.

Finally saw Kong: Skull Island on rental DVD. It's an entertaining movie if you don't think about it too much. It starred Samuel L. Jackson (of course), the actor who has been Loki and the actress who will be Captain Marvel. I thought it was odd that at least one of the soldiers carried an M-16 with the grenade launcher attachment and the ammunition for the grenade launcher is seen being carried prominently, yet no one ever fires a grenade at Kong or the other monsters. The guy carrying the grenade launcher ammunition is the one with the AK-47, which probably didn't have ammunition for long, being a foreign weapon. The guy with the grenade launcher showed no evidence he had ammunition for it. I read all the "goofs" and "anachronisms" on IMDB. An unusual number of them.

I may have mentioned this before, but I really liked the music in Kong: Skull Island so I ordered the soundtrack online. Be aware, the soundtrack is the original score, not the rock tunes.

Michael Rennie? Good lord, when was this made? And how come I haven't heard of it?

Thomas Lupo said:

Cyborg 2087.

A cyborg (Michael Rennie) takes a time machine back to the 1960s to see a professor (Eduard Franz) and change history.

That's too bad. I thought the rock songs were spot on with the action in the film. That was the first time in decades that I have heard "Down in the Street" by The Stooges. After seeing the movie I found the song on-line and played it for my wife - she was unimpressed.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I may have mentioned this before, but I really liked the music in Kong: Skull Island so I ordered the soundtrack online. Be aware, the soundtrack is the original score, not the rock tunes.

"...she was unimpressed."

Oh, well. What can you do?

Remember when the official soundtrack of Tim Burton's BATMAN was released, and it was Prince songs that weren't even in the movie, then Elfman's "score" was released separately?

Yep. I bought the Elfman CD. 

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

Remember when the official soundtrack of Tim Burton's BATMAN was released, and it was Prince songs that weren't even in the movie, then Elfman's "score" was released separately?

I watched Godzilla vs.Megalon for about the millionth time, last night.  Goofy, but fun.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

Captain Comics said:

Yep. I bought the Elfman CD. 

I've got them both. Was the "score" and the "soundtrack" being separate entities a new thing at the time? 

Yes, it was. Previously, they'd all been together.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service