Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 32217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've started watching The Fortune Cookie, a Billy Wilder movie starring Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau as a camaraman who gets injured at a football game and his shyster brother-in-low who convinces him to fake a graver injury and sue for damages. Early on, the first doctor who treats Lemmon is played by William Christopher, who would go on to play Father Mulcahey on MASH!

A couple of days ago we saw William Christopher playing a German soldier in an episode of Hogan's Heroes. According to IMDB he played four different characters over its run, along with a ton of other characters in other shows.

A co-worker let me borrow his copy of Deadpool 2. I thought it was really good. Maybe a bit too long, but still a fun watch.

Darkest Hour: Gary Oldman practically becomes Churchill. Yes, the film toys with some facts (and the "Underground" scene is completely over the top, as well as being fabricated), but it leads beautifully to the "We Shall Fight on the Beaches" speech, framing and contextualizing it to best effect. Worth seeing.

Roman Polanski's Macbeth (1971).

(Yes, I'm still going through my "Scottish" phase.)

I recently watched Orson Welles' 1951 movie version of Othello

I don't remember hearing about Polanski's Macbeth, but I'm going to watch it soon.

I have the Welles' one on dubbed VHS.

Alan Napier (Alfred on TV's Batman) plays a small role.

Alan Napier in The Mole People:

Hereditary, which is more traumatizing than scary, but I cautiously recommend one viewing to people who like the horror genre.

Just don't go in expecting the typical horror movie. The first half consists of a truly unsettling drama about a family deep in crisis.

I also recommend knowing nothing more before watching.

I watched Mysterious Island (1961). The film is an adaptation of Jules Verne's novel with the addition of female characters and stop-motion monsters animated by Ray Harryhausen. Bernard Herrmann composed the score.

The novel is about a group of Americans who wind up on an apparently uninhabited island after they escape a Southern Civil War prisoner of war camp in an observation balloon. They receive mysterious aid from a source revealed later in the novel. Accounts of the book always give the solution to this mystery away.

I know Harryhausen's work by his Sinbad extravaganzas and Jason and the Argonauts. I thought this film more solidly-written and better-acted, but its basic story isn't all that exciting. It did need the monsters to perk it up. The special effect shots depicting the island are very nicely done.

Citizen Kane (1941). Now that I've seen this, I realize how many tihngs I've seen over the years that were references to this picture.

I watched Deadpool 2 last night. Wow--so violent and funny. And the ending!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service