Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 32631

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did see all of the original Planet of the Apes movies when they came out. I liked the first two, ending with Earth being destroyed. The rest were just milking it AFAIAC.

I love the original Jaws. It was a rare example of a movie improving on the book. I saw the second one, also with Roy Scheider, but I never saw another one after that.

Extended version?

“I liked the first two, ending with Earth being destroyed.”

My opinion is each one got progressively worse.

“I love the original Jaws. It was a rare example of a movie improving on the book.”

I tried reading the book when the movie first came out, but it was a bit too advanced for me at the time and I didn’t get much out of it.

“I saw the second one, also with Roy Scheider, but I never saw another one after that.

I saw Jaw II and Jaws 3-D once each, both in the theater.

I saw The Deep (also by Peter Benchley) twice in the theater. I think I’d have to say I preferred it to Jaws at the time. I should probably watch it again to see if it holds up. I bought the Marvel Comic book adaptation of The Deep, too… probably my first experience of being disappointed at a comic book adaptation of a movie I liked.

“Extended version?”

That’s what it said on the DVD menu. My choices were “Play movie” and “Play extended version.” I chose “extended version, which was one hour thirty six minutes in length. I didn’t compare that to the running time of the theatrical version, and don’t know anything more about it than that. There weren’t any scenes I specifically noticed as never having seen before.

from over here:

ClarkKent_DC said:

Many moons ago, when late night television consisted of (a) The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson and (b) everything else that nobody would watch because most people were watching The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, I saw all five of the Planet of the Apes movies. CBS Late Night specialized in showing cheesy science fiction movies, and had them on one week, in order, Monday through Friday. Even then, I knew not to think too hard about the plot logic, or lack thereof. 

The Planet of the Apes was originally a sateric French novel, then it became a "serious science fiction" screenplay, then a quite different science fiction movie which degenerated into a succession of cheesy movies and a TV spin-off.

Rod Serling's original screenplay has recently been adapted into a graphic novel (which I hope to read this coming weekend).

Hopefully you will post a synopsis and review. I believe the only element retained in the final film from Serling's screenplay was the "omigosh, I've been on Earth the entire time" bit - a twist ending he had used a time or two already in Twilight Zone episodes.  Supposedly Serling's script would have required much more elaborate sets and effects and was deemed too expensive.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Rod Serling's original screenplay has recently been adapted into a graphic novel (which I hope to read this coming weekend).

"Hopefully you will post a synopsis and review."

Look for it early next week.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

".....the original Jaws." I tried reading the book when the movie first came out, but it was a bit too advanced for me at the time and I didn’t get much out of it.

In the book the Matt Hooper character, played by Richard Dreyfus in the movie, has an affair with the police chief's wife and there is some graphic description. The end involves Quint and the shark duplicating the end of Moby Dick. The movie is much better.

I saw The Deep (also by Peter Benchley) twice in the theater. I think I’d have to say I preferred it to Jaws at the time. I should probably watch it again to see if it holds up.

Hopefully when you saw it you were old enough to appreciate Jacqueline Bisset's wet T-shirt scene. I was just reminded that they cast Robert Shaw, who was Quint in the original Jaws, as the third banana in this film. The Deep shares something with Goldfinger in that the spectacular death scene of the main bad guy was wasted on a minion in the book. The book and the movie both tell essentially the same, good story.

Peter Benchley's third best-seller, The Island, was adapted into the 1980 movie of the same name. It's not quite as good as the other two, either as a book or a movie. It asks us to believe that an 18th century pirate community would maintain its culture and murderous proclivities even though they are very aware of the modern world. Doesn't quite work.

“Extended version?” That’s what it said on the DVD menu. My choices were “Play movie” and “Play extended version.” I chose “extended version, which was one hour thirty six minutes in length. I didn’t compare that to the running time of the theatrical version, and don’t know anything more about it than that. There weren’t any scenes I specifically noticed as never having seen before.

Like many extended editions, they probably didn't add much. IMDB and Wikipedia agree that Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973) was 93 minutes long. So they likely only added three minutes.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The Planet of the Apes was originally a sateric French novel, then it became a "serious science fiction" screenplay, then a quite different science fiction movie which degenerated into a succession of cheesy movies and a TV spin-off.

I read the original French novel. IIRC, The astronaut(s) leave the planet and return to Earth, only to find that Earth has also become a planet of apes.

“In the book the Matt Hooper character, played by Richard Dreyfus in the movie, has an affair with the police chief's wife and there is some graphic description.”

Are you kidding? That’s the part I remember best!

SPOILER: Also, Hooper dies in the end, whereas in the movie he lives.

“Hopefully when you saw it you were old enough to appreciate Jacqueline Bisset's wet T-shirt scene.”

Indeed I was. (See previous answer.)

“IIRC, The astronaut(s) leave the planet and return to Earth, only to find that Earth has also become a planet of apes.”

SPOILER: Actually, there was a double-twist (which I will reveal next week if you don’t know it).

I've been watching Night Caller from Outer Space (UK, 1965). It's an odd film that starts off as an alien monster movie and becomes a police procedural. The basic story is weak and the conclusion is bizarre. But there are good touches in the script, the acting is good, and the B&W photography is nice.

"They've traced the call.... It's coming from inside the solar system!"

We're rewatching the original Fame (filmed on location during NY's dark, seedy days) and I watched Return to Macon County (a sequel only in title and setting. It's not a good movie, but it's better than it has a right to be)

Luke Blanchard said:

I've been watching Night Caller from Outer Space (1965). It's an odd film that starts off as an alien monster movie and becomes a police procedural. The basic story is weak and the conclusion is bizarre. But there are good touches in the script, the acting is good, and the B&W photography is nice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service