Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 32766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff of Earth-J said:

SPOILER: Also, Hooper dies in the end, whereas in the movie he lives.

I understand that in the movie Hooper was initially killed. I think that in early testing the movie version of the character was so likable that they changed it so that he lived

“IIRC, The astronaut(s) leave the planet and return to Earth, only to find that Earth has also become a planet of apes.”

SPOILER: Actually, there was a double-twist (which I will reveal next week if you don’t know it).

I don't remember the double-twist. I read it a long time ago and wasn't crazy about it.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND: Last week we watched Jaws because my wife had never seen it before. This week we watched Close Encounters for the same reason. I’ve seen Close Encounters only once, when it was still in theaters. I remembered it pretty well, but not beat-for-beat the way I did Jaws. I found myself remembering it as I watched the story unfold. Tracy liked it, too.

THE BRIDGE ON THE RVER QWAI: Back in the ‘90s when I was single, I had three good friends, all married. One thing all my friends had in common was they had their respective girlfriends, before they were married, watch The Bridge on the River Qwai. the girls married them anyway. When I was growing up, The Bridge on the River Qwai was evergreen at my house. It was one of my dad’s favorites, and we would watch it every time it was on (along with Father Goose). I had it on VHS, but I never asked a girlfriend to watch it with me. Imagine my surprised when my wife asked to watch it! My VHS copy is full screen and that just would not do, so we had to wait for a widescreen version to come in the mail from Netflix. Good movie. (I’d forgotton how long it was.) It was written by Pierre Boulle, also known for Planet of the Apes. That seems like an odd pairing, but Ian Fleming not only wrote all those James Bond novels, but also Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Go figure.

I read Planet of the Apes in high school, probably before the movie (It was released my junior year) and possibly in anticipation of it. Hard to say -- I burned my way through the Nerd Canon* in junior high, and it might have been part of that.

(*Nerd Canon, as if I have to explain, consisted of the books that all self-respecting fans in my neck of the woods were expected to have read. It includes all Edgar Rice Burroughs; all Robert E. Howard; the major works of Asimov, Heinlein and Bradbury; E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series, no matter how dated it was; Lord of the Rings (preferably twice); significant, non-Big 3 sci-fi works like Planet of the Apes; and more that I don't remember right now. It was easier then -- there was a lot less genre material in the mid-1970s, and it seemed that it had more or less hit a stopping point. Then Star Wars came along ...)

I saw the first four movies in the theater for sure, and maybe the fifth (despite the dawning realization that each one was worse than the one before), and forced myself to watch the TV show as much as I could stand because I felt it was my duty to support genre material.

I think that last was an ape too far, because outside of the Marvel magazine I have been PotA-free ever since. I have yet to watch any of the new PotA movies, because I just can't force myself to watch any more. Plus, it's like Titanic -- I know how it ends.

The apes are calling from inside the house?
The original POTA, for all its flaws, has always been on the short list of movies I will always stop to watch if I channel flip into it. I finally got the Lad to watch it with me a couple of weeks ago ... and he said, basically, "meh." My paternal heart was broken.

Yesterday I streamed Robocop on Amazon Prime. If you didn't hear, this is the original Rated X (now NC-17) cut of the film that was trimmed down to an R. It says R on Amazon but is the original cut. Who knows how long Amazon will keep this up. I think this movie still holds up pretty well for a 30+ year old movie. 

Also, Hot Tub time Machine which for some reason I had never seen. I thought it was pretty dang funny, and it is a movie that knows how ridiculous it is. 

"If you didn't hear, this is the original Rated X (now NC-17) cut of the film that was trimmed down to an R."

This is the first I heard of it. What warrented the "X"? Something specific?

There are a few key differences that in the movie.

1. In the first scene with the ED-209, where it kills one of the executives. It just keeps pumping rounds into the guy.

2. When Robocop punches Boddiker(sp?) in the throat, there is a lot more blood.

3. The big one though is the "death" scene with Murphy. It is just a lot more graphic. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"If you didn't hear, this is the original Rated X (now NC-17) cut of the film that was trimmed down to an R."

This is the first I heard of it. What warrented the "X"? Something specific?

I don't think I've ever encountered an "X" for violence before.

No, I'm sure I haven;t.

In 1970, when I saw Midnight Cowboy and The Damned they were both rated X for their sexual content. Midnight Cowboy was later re-released to theaters and was reclassified to an R using new standards. The Damned, an Italian movie about Nazi Gemany concerning a corrupt industrialist family and the rise and fall of the Brown Shirts (AKA Night of the Long Knives) was later released on DVD and was reclassified to an R. Reclassification in the U.S. must be done by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). They have copyright control of all the rating letters except X. If Amazon is showing the version of Robocop originally rated X as an R, they must have asked for reclassification. Not doing so would result in a lawsuit. The rating system has changed a few times over the years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_of_America...

The only X-rated movie I own is Last Tango in Paris with Marlon Brando.

It was only a year or two ago when i bought it on DVD that I relazied the dubbed verion I've had since college wasn't even complete... it was missing the ending. Yes, my copy of Last Tango was missing the last tango... and I didn't even know it.

I saw Last Tango in Paris a few years ago for the first time; I didn't get what the big deal was.

Neither did Captain Comics when he saw it.

Thanks for the callback, CK!

Maybe I didn't see the ending either. I remember the girl leaving him ... I think he was in a bathtub. Or am I conflating with Missouri Breaks? Whatever. It got a "meh" from me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service