Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Life of Pi -- I saw half of it, but we all sat and watched the whole thing. I cannot understand how Argo beat this for the Oscar for Best Picture. Argo was a fine movie, but Life of Pi just blows it out of the water ... no pun intended. 

Coins for Christmas was a TV movie on TV One that we tuned in to because it has appealing actors as the leads, but unfortunately strands them with a weak script. 

Essence Atkins plays a divorced single mom of a teenage daughter and younger teenage son. As the story begins, it's early December, and she's breaking her back to buy Christmas gifts for them, but the bookstore where she works shuts down. Worse, her trifling ex-husband dropped the ball on some paperwork, leading the IRS to freeze her assets. Soon, she enters the gig economy, becoming an Uber driver.

This is how she crosses paths with Stephen Bishop, who plays pro football player coming off an injury. He's living beyond his means, not facing the fact that his past conduct has made his team leery of bringing him back -- and there aren't any offers from other teams, either.

Bishop hires Atkins to drive him around on errands. He's the kind of guy who hires somebody to drive him down the block, and then to the other side of the street, but hey, it's his money. Soon, he's hired her as a sort of personal assistant, to do the errands. 

Meanwhile, her kids are secretly getting jobs and selling off their stuff so mom doesn't have to sweat being broke, although she's too prideful to accept the help. 

It seems like the movie is pushing Bishop and Atkins together as a romantic couple, but it doesn't quite get there ... they have deep heart-to-heart conversations, and once she blows up when she's the server at a party at his home and overhears some snide remarks from his friends about her appearance. He apologizes, and it looks like they're getting close ... and then they don't. 

Christmas comes, and the trifing ex-husband comes through with the Christmas gifts and squares things with the IRS, and that's that. It felt like the movie stopped before it ended, as if there was supposed to be one or two more scenes after that last commercial break.

REBECCA: Having watched Jane Eyre recently, Tracy put Alfred Hitchcock’s very similar Rebecca (1940) in our queue. I’m glad she waited several weeks because the two movies are quite similar. Rebecca stars Lawrence Olivier and Joan Fontaine (who was also in Jane Eyre). It is the only Hitchcock film ever to win a best picture Oscar. You have to wait until the very end for the cameo. It’s well worth watching if you like gothic mysteries.

We recently watched Rebecca. As you said, it's a good movie. I don't think Hitchcock was capable of making a bad movie.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

REBECCA: Having watched Jane Eyre recently, Tracy put Alfred Hitchcock’s very similar Rebecca (1940) in our queue. I’m glad she waited several weeks because the two movies are quite similar. Rebecca stars Lawrence Olivier and Joan Fontaine (who was also in Jane Eyre). It is the only Hitchcock film ever to win a best picture Oscar. You have to wait until the very end for the cameo. It’s well worth watching if you like gothic mysteries.

THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD: I haven't seen this yet; it hasn't even been released. It's a unique documentary using retstored footage of WWI soldier interviews by Peter Jackson. It will be on limited release, so I wanted to mention it here in hope that no one interested would miss it.

Here is review and discussion.

I cannot wait to see this. I'm on the lookout to see where it pops up.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD: I haven't seen this yet; it hasn't even been released. It's a unique documentary using retstored footage of WWI soldier interviews by Peter Jackson. It will be on limited release, so I wanted to mention it here in hope that no one interested would miss it.

Here is review and discussion.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds

The YouTube page for this trailer says it will have another single day release on January 21. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

I've watched several movies in the past couple weeks but haven't sat down long enough to comment on them:

• Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Ooh! Ooh! When you want to talk about Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse, do it here: http://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/spider-man-into-the-spid...

I've been DYING to talk about it!

I've finally gotten around to commenting Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, here.

Finally got to watch SOLO.....got to say I was disappointed. Found it a bit slow, dull, obvious and never felt involved in the story of invested in the characters and yes I had been looking forward to it.

I guess #notmystarwars.

THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD: Saw this yesterday. It was magnificent. I kept trying to remain aware of the technical expertise which went into restoring the footage, but it was imnpossible. I kept getting draw into the experience. If such things interest you, though, do stay for the documentary about the making of the documentary afterwards. It didn’t change my opinion of war, only re-enforced it.

PATHS OF GLORY: They Shall Not Grow Old in the afternoon inspired me to watch this Stanley Kubrick classic in the evening. Although They Shall Not Grow Old was told strictly from the POV of the British soldier, Peter Jackson himself commented that the experience of trench warfare wasn’t all that different regardless of which side one fought on. (Paths of Glory is told from the POV of the French.) Recently, military historians have attempted to excuse the actions of WWI generals as depicted in this film.

CHARLEY’S WAR: Paths of Glory also inspired me to begin reading Charley’s War, but that’s a different post for a different forum.

Cannot wait to see this. Unfortunately, with my schedule right now, I'm probably going to have to wait until the BluRay. With the kind of crazy release schedule, I'm hoping that day is sooner than later.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD: Saw this yesterday. It was magnificent. I kept trying to remain aware of the technical expertise which went into restoring the footage, but it was imnpossible. I kept getting draw into the experience. If such things interest you, though, do stay for the documentary about the making of the documentary afterwards. It didn’t change my opinion of war, only re-enforced it.

As Cap says, that's what makes horse races!

I loved Solo, and I went into it with low expectations. I thought it was just 100% fun.

As I've gotten older, I have found that I really enjoy genre movies that lean more toward the joyful side of things than the grittier stuff. I have said before that I just haven't watched many of the DC movies starting with Man of Steel. I saw Wonder Woman and Aquaman, but nothing else. I liked both of those movies (with a few reservations on Aquaman).

As for the Marvel movies, I haven't enjoyed Civil War, Age of Ultron, or Infinity War nearly as much as I liked Ant Man, Ant Man and the Wasp, Guardians of the Galaxy (both), or Thor Ragnarok. There are parts of CW, AoU, and IW that I loved, but the overall feeling of them isn't one that I automatically want to watch again.

I'm definitely not saying that's why you didn't enjoy Solo, Richard. I just went off on a tangent there for a minute. You gotta do you!

Richard Mantle said:

Finally got to watch SOLO.....got to say I was disappointed. Found it a bit slow, dull, obvious and never felt involved in the story of invested in the characters and yes I had been looking forward to it.

I guess #notmystarwars.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service