Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 38225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spaceballs is a fun movie. I have it somewhere and don't remember much about it either.

As for dubbing vs sub-titles, I prefer dubbing if done well. If a movie is engaging enough I can get into the sub-titles. My wife doesn't like it. The best dubbing I've seen to date was on the original Swedish trilogy that begins with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The mouth movements of the actors speaking Swedish is so close to the dubbed dialog that I never noticed any difference. The DVDs have the dubbing option while (unless it's changed) the streaming versions had only sub-titles. Anyone who hasn't seen the original trilogy should do so.

I never went to see the English language remake of the first movie. Now that I have seen Rooney Mara in the 2018 movie Mary Magdalene I was so impressed by her acting that I'll have to see the remake starring her.

The remake is okay. Whether it needs to exist is an open question, but it compares favorably, especially in the presentation of the titular GwtDT.

Richard Willis said:

Spaceballs is a fun movie. I have it somewhere and don't remember much about it either.

As for dubbing vs sub-titles, I prefer dubbing if done well. If a movie is engaging enough I can get into the sub-titles. My wife doesn't like it. The best dubbing I've seen to date was on the original Swedish trilogy that begins with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The mouth movements of the actors speaking Swedish is so close to the dubbed dialog that I never noticed any difference. The DVDs have the dubbing option while (unless it's changed) the streaming versions had only sub-titles. Anyone who hasn't seen the original trilogy should do so.

I never went to see the English language remake of the first movie. Now that I have seen Rooney Mara in the 2018 movie Mary Magdalene I was so impressed by her acting that I'll have to see the remake starring her.

THE PRINCESS BRIDE: A couple of weeks ago, Tracy and I were watching an episode of Deep Space Nine when I recognized the voice of the grand Nagus as that of Wallace Shawn, who plays Dr. Sturgis on Young Sheldon. I mentioned that here, and Bob said he always thinks of Wallace Shawn in The Princess Bride. That night I asked Tracy if she had ever heard of it. Big mistake. Not only is it one of her favorite movies, but she’s been trying to convince me to watch it for the past 18 years. (Who knew?) Then, last week, it was mentioned on This Is Us and the writing was on the wall. I knew this movie was in my future. It wasn’t really my kind of movie, but it was not an unpleasant way to kill two hours. I have been told that in order to gain a lifelong appreciation of this movie, one must see it before one reaches a certain age. That assertion turned out to be true for me. I don’t know what that age is, but I am apparently long past it.

Jeff, you never saw The Princess Bride? Ever? Not once on TV, VHS or DVD? But that's...that's...

Seriously this is a great film where practically half the script (or more) can be quoted! A very strong cast with action, adventure, romance, drama, laughs, a giant and true love! 

It's even better if you've read the book, which I have! 

One of my favorites!

Don't feel bad Jeff. I've never seen Princess Bride either.

"Jeff, you never saw The Princess Bride?"

I never even heard of it.

"Ever?"

Well, I must have heard of it sometime, because apparently my wife has been trying to talk me into see it ever since we were married. But I have an uncanny ability not to retain any information that doesn't interest me. Having heard only the title, I'm sure I assumed it was a romcom (which it kind of was).

Wow... that movie really is one of the all-time greats. Well, like it or not, a whole new wing of pop-cultural references is now open to you!

I don't know. I just... I don't know.

I had a VUDU credit and watched Jordan Peele's Us. Truly creepy, and a horror film with a novel premise. Not as though-provoking as Get Out was, but I definitely recommend it.

We saw it recently on rental DVD. Jordan Peele is a very good director and his movies are unique.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

I had a VUDU credit and watched Jordan Peele's Us. Truly creepy, and a horror film with a novel premise. Not as though-provoking as Get Out was, but I definitely recommend it.

JohnD said:

Don't feel bad Jeff. I've never seen Princess Bride either.
...Me neither.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Jeff, you never saw The Princess Bride?"

I never even heard of it.

"Ever?"

Well, I must have heard of it sometime, because apparently my wife has been trying to talk me into see it ever since we were married.

The movie was written by the late William Goldman, from his own novel. Wikipedia's page on the novel has some details that might interest Tracy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service