Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 38235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I realize this will be an unpopular opinion, but I have seen it (more than once), and even when I was a kid, I thought it was so overrated. I just never got it. Obviously, your mileage very well may vary!

Sheesh, guys. Just see The Princess Bride already! The novel's even better.

I saw Midsommar: slow-moving and somewhat predictable to people who have watched similar films, but well-done.

And the new Nancy Drew. Not the new-new TV show, but the movie from last year with Sophia Lillis. She's pretty good, but the movie isn't, particularly, even when judged as a kid's film.

Now, The Princess Bride....

My favorite Princess Bride bit:

Montoya : "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Dread Pirate Roberts: "I didn't kill your father."

Montoya: "I know. I say that to everyone. Sooner or later I will be right."

On another subject, I watched Bad Times at the El Royale thanks to recommendations on this thread. Jeff Bridges is always a treat, and it was wild seeing Chris Hemsworth in a character so unlike his usual fare. Recognized the Mad Men actor right away, but It took me a minute to recognize the 50 Shades of Gray actress, because I didn't watch that movie. I just know her face from all the publicity for that movie.

Anyway, I like noir in general, and this qualifies. It didn't blow me away, but I appreciate the writer taking some chances with the formula, especially the deaths you don't expect.

Weirdly, the next night I watched the latest episode of Riverdale, and damn if the guy playing Edgar Evernever wasn't swiping doing an homage to Hemsworth as the cult leader. Would never have known that without watching El Royale.

"The movie was written by the late William Goldman, from his own novel. Wikipedia's page on the novel has some details that might interest Tracy."

I'll let her know.

CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON: Friday night Tracy came home and said she wanted to watch this movie. I don’t know what prompted it, but if you’re lucky enough to be married to a woman to enjoys watching 1950s “B” sci-fi films occasionally, don’t ask questions! Y’know how I said Princess Bride was not really my kind of movie? Cat Women of the Moon is my kind of movie! A matter of fact, we watched it twice: on Friday we watched the original, then on Saturday we watched the Rifftrax version (spoofed by Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl rather than the boys).

THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT: A couple of weeks ago, American Mythology published a reprint of Marvel’s 1975 adaptation of the film. I mentioned that, although I enjoyed the comic book, I hadn’t seen the movie. Then bob reminded me that yes, I had, because it was one of the new MST3Ks (with Jonah). With the comic fresh in my mind, we re-watched the MST3K version.

Dr. Strangelove was on TCM the other night, and as Kathy and I watched a scene while deciding what we wanted to watch, we soon bit the bullet, rewound, and watched the whole thing. It was the second time for both of us, and it was hilarious. The movie justly gets a lot of praise, but frankly, no amount of praise can prepare you for how funny George C. Scott's expressions are when he's in the war room, listening to the president (Peter Sellers) talk to Dimitry in Russia, warning him about a flight of incoming bombers. "You see, Dimitry, they're doing a silly thing, and are going to bomb your country. No Dimitry, this IS a friendly call. If it weren't a friendly call, well... I doubt I would be calling at all!"

It's really glorious, in every way.

I watched Murder on the Orient Express (2010) from the series starring David Suchet who at that point had been playing Hercule Poirot for over twenty years (That's a gig!!). I thought that I'd seen some version of this before but apparently not as the ending legit shocked me! 

This also starred Barbara Hershey, a young Jessica Chastain and Armin Zola himself, Toby Jones!

The next night, I watched Kenneth Branagh's all-star Murder of the Orient Express (2017) with Catwoman, Rey, the Green Goblin, LeFou, Aaron Burr, M and Captain Jack Sparrow! Actually Depp was wasted in this film but the others were very good especially the still-sexy Michelle Pfeiffer and Daisy Ridley who looked very much the movie star.

The script was tweaked due the casting choices and they added some action scenes but as great an actor and director Branagh  is, he physically looks nothing like Poirot which is a bit distracting. Also on the entire DVD cover there is only one brief mention of Poirot!

That would get his little grey cells in an uproar!

I saw it for the first time as a teenager in the early 1980s, and I've watched it.... an uncertain number of times since. One of the best films of all time. Kudos to Kubrick and company for making the end of the world so very funny. Possibly Peter Sellers's best performance.... Though I'm not sure which one.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Dr. Strangelove was on TCM the other night, and as Kathy and I watched a scene while deciding what we wanted to watch, we soon bit the bullet, rewound, and watched the whole thing. It was the second time for both of us, and it was hilarious. The movie justly gets a lot of praise, but frankly, no amount of praise can prepare you for how funny George C. Scott's expressions are when he's in the war room, listening to the president (Peter Sellers) talk to Dimitry in Russia, warning him about a flight of incoming bombers. "You see, Dimitry, they're doing a silly thing, and are going to bomb your country. No Dimitry, this IS a friendly call. If it weren't a friendly call, well... I doubt I would be calling at all!"

It's really glorious, in every way.

Just about every line in Dr. Strangelove is worth quoting. Terrific movie.

"There's no fighting in the war room!" "You'll be answering to the Coca-Cola company!" "Precious bodily fluids." etc.

Watched Attack of the 50-Foot Woman, because I'm an adult and I do what I want. Terrible movie, and I loved every minute of it. Did you know that when a woman reaches maturity, nature makes her irrational? That was said by a Freud-looking doctor with a German accent and a pointy beard, so you know it's science.

"Precious bodily fluids."

That's "Purity of Essence"... POE (or "Peace on Earth).

Dr. Strangelove is based on two books, Red Alert and... I forget the other. I picked them both up several years ago, but haven't read them.

I was lucky enought to see a revival of Dr. Strangelove for the first time on the big screen.

We saw it on the big screen first, too, Jeff -- probably about 15 years ago, at the Ritz in Philadelphia. 

I saw that it was based on Red Alert; that title was listed in the credits. I don't think the film itself mentions another. 

The movie Fail Safe came out a year later. As Dennis Miller & Martin Short mentioned in the conversation segment TCM showed afterward, it's rare that a satire comes out before the straight dramatization... and has details in it that seem more accurate. 

And I couldn't quite remember the end as we were watching, so I kept waiting for the pie fight.

Yeah, Failsafe. That's the one I was thinking of. I thought Dr. Strangelove was based on both books.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service