Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 56222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Travis Herrick said:

..... wondering if James Coburn was always grey-haired.

Here are two stills (one each from the 1963 movies Charade and The Great Escape.) Unless he was coloring it he seems to have darker hair back then.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Also That Guy...Who Was in That Thing. ClarkKent DC if you haven't seen this yet, I think you would love it. It is a documentary with a bunch of character actors and their struggles trying to make a living in Hollywood. A bunch of funny moments, and the realization just how hard these guys hustle out there. This one I do recommend highly. i saw that you can watch on the IMDB website.

This sounds right up my alley too. I love character actors. It's also available on Netflix Streaming. I'm going to watch it soon.

That Guy...Who Was in That Thing.

When I went to see the Shawshank Redemption, it seemed to me that the Jury that convicted the main character was made up entirely of 12 overweight familiar-looking character actors.  I wondered if it might be some sort of in-joke...

It may be the lighting, but the picture on the right side looks like he has some grey there as well.

Also That Guy...Who Was in That Thing. ClarkKent DC if you haven't seen this yet, I think you would love it. It is a documentary with a bunch of character actors and their struggles trying to make a living in Hollywood. A bunch of funny moments, and the realization just how hard these guys hustle out there. This one I do recommend highly. i saw that you can watch on the IMDB website.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out. After all, I'm a champion of The Legion of "Hey, It's That Guy!" Character Actors.

Also, I didn't know you could watch movies through IMDB.

It sounds interesting to me as well. I just checked Netflix: it's on there now, so I added it to my list.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out. After all, I'm a champion of The Legion of "Hey, It's That Guy!" Character Actors.

Now that Amazon owns IMDB it's possible to use your Amazon account to sign in and make comments on IMDB listings and watch movies either free or for a fee.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I know that the left-side picture from Charade (which I've seen several times) has a definitely brown-haired Coburn. Maybe at that point in his career his hair changed with the role, unlike later.

It may be the lighting, but the picture on the right side looks like he has some grey there as well.

Clark, I didn't know you could watch movie on IMDB either, until I was on the movie's page on there.

Richard, I didn't know that about IMDB and Amazon, thanks for that. I was looking at some pics from Our Man Flint which came out in '66 and Coburn's hair is greying there. I'm sure you're right though about changing it for the role.

Last night I saw the movie The Skeleton Twins starring Kristin Wiig, Bill Hader, Luke Wilson, and Ty Burrell. It was funny at times, and most of it was very very dark. Still, it casts most of these actors in a far different light than we are used to seeing. Good movie, even if it fails as a 'feel-good' in the end.

I caught just about every movie in the last block of movies of the Cinemark classic series. Including:

Ghostbusters - I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this again or not. Ultimately, I went for it. Still great, still made me laugh. This had more than the usual 4 showings.

Scarface - I don't love this one, but it was sweet to see it on the big screen. If a bit too long

Dr. Strangelove - I've always dug this flick. It isn't uproariously funny. Very subtle.

Gone With The Wind - I had never seen it before. I will give it this, it isn't a traditional Hollywood movie. I found the 2 leads to be completely unlikeable jerks. Sorry to say a bit overrated.

MASH - My personal favorite of this bunch. I love, love. love it. Sad to say there was just me and my friend in the theater for this one. This movie completely ruined the sitcom for me.

Finally saw The Producers with Gene Wilder. The remake changed a lot. I found the original more fun to watch.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Satan's Triangle (1975) I saw this when it was originally on TV as a movie of the week. It was…"
19 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Jack Knight and his father Ted Knight, the original Starman (and of course The Shade)"
49 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Busy day on the medical front (don't worry, I'm all right. Just a couple of different…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
8 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Like Father, Like Daughter. Crush & Lobo #3."
10 hours ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Asuka and her mother, Kyoko, in one of their happier "elseworlds""
10 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"When you're a parent, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, but to take your son's…"
11 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
""I'm pretty sure Robots was your Pick of the Week!" Found it. (It was just waiting…"
12 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Planet of the Nerds was the first time I'd seen Robinson's art, I think -- his name…"
12 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"How strange... Kryptonian women wear bridal gowns that look exactly like the ones worn in Western…"
12 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I would say it's up to the poster of the image(s). "
12 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Peter Wrexham said: Sep 2022 Classrooms?? I share Jeff's concern that there might not be…"
12 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service