Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 41010

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe the only Oscar for best performance in a horror film went to Fredric March for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Jason Marconnet (Pint sized mod) said:

I saw Birdman yesterday. I really liked it. It was well filmed and quite funny. I can't remember another time I've seen an entire film's cast have such terrific chemisty as this one.

I just saw it. A very good movie. Whatever you expect you get the unexpected.

He was working on a sequel. Probably won't get made now since I believe Dan Aykroyd is the only one left interested in a sequel.

Guess Egon crossed the streams...

The Baron said:

The passing of Harold Ramis led me to re-watch Ghostbusters (1984) last night.  Fun picture, has aged well.

Ron M. said:
He was working on a sequel. Probably won't get made now since I believe Dan Aykroyd is the only one left interested in a sequel.
Guess Egon crossed the streams...

They ARE making a female version of Ghostbusters for 2016 featuring Melissa McCarthy and women from SNL. Aykroyd is a co-writer, as was Ramis. Depending upon how well it does they are thinking of making another one later, either with the female actors or a new group of male actors.

Is Aykroyd still playing the father of one of the new characters? That was their plan, he and Ramis would pass on the job to the next generation. I believe Aykroyd's character was going to be crippled so he couldn't fight ghosts anymore.

Hmm, I saw Birdman a couple of days ago, and I was pretty underwhelmed after all of the hype surrounding it. It was good, but man, no where near all the praise it got.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Hmm, I saw Birdman a couple of days ago, and I was pretty underwhelmed after all of the hype surrounding it. It was good, but man, no where near all the praise it got.

I agree. I thought it was pretty over rated. And I really like a couple of the director's other films. I think Birdman won so many awards because it was aimed directly at the type of people who vote on those awards. Namely, old white dudes who have worked in the film industry and are worried that they might be has-beens.

Yesterday I saw THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO! for the first time in a few years and man did it drag! Don't get me wrong. I love the Thunderbirds with its design and detail work, the characters and the vehicles.

But they tried to make a MOVIE instead of a Thunderbirds adventure. A musical number? A dream sequence? Too much emphasis on Lady Penelope and her effect on the Tracy boys!

Then there's Gordon's inferiority complex and Alan's ambition. He seems to be in love with Tintin yet fantasizes about Lady Penelope!

These guys need to go out more!

Saw two fims this weekend, both with son in the title:

Seventh Son: A cliche ridden, sword and sorcery snoozer that fails to generate a single original idea. Similar to Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. I really don't like the trend of medieval weaponry that simulates modern weapons. Does anyone think a torch that operates as a flame thrower or a rapid firing crossbow is clever?

Son of a Gun: a low budget indie crime film with Ewan McGregor. This was solid and gritty with some good character moments but never teally achieved the intensity I like to see in a caper/heist movie.

Saw Ex Machina yesterday.

A nice low key sci-fi about artificial intelligence that deals in ideas rather than spectacle.  I found it to be thought provoking and disturbing.  Doesn't completely deliver the goods in terms of a compelling story but I still really enjoyed it.

I wondered from the ads if I would like Ex Machina. Thanks for the info!

I really enjoyed Ex Machina; great, thoughtful sci fi and I can really do without so much mindless action and explosions that are so prevelent in so many fantasy/action movies of the past decade or so.  Seventh Son I saw a few weeks ago and thought was far too cliche-ridden and forgetable.  My favorite comedic film of the last few months was What We Do in the Shadows. I rarely ever see films twice, but I did pay to see both Ex Machina and What We Do in the Shadows twice. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service