Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 38278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Saw two Wachowski Bros films recently:

Jupiter Ascending

I wouldn't think it possible to remake David Lynch's Dune and have it actually be worse but they did it.

Cloud Atlas

This is as good s Jupiter Ascending is bad. Probably owing to the excellent source material.

Both movie are great eye candy though.

Like by this time everyone knows what "rosebud" was in Citizen Kane.

Detective 445 said:

ClarkKent_DC said:

• Pulp Fiction. I didn't see it when it was out, and seeing it all these years later, I didn't get what the big deal was.

I think that this is one of those cases where the movie has been copied, redone, remade, retooled, and plundered to such a degree that it's no longer possible to see its impact anymore. But it really was something new at the time.

Haven't seen it but I've heard the ending changed too much and "Satan" isn't as dangerous as he was in the book.

Luke Blanchard said:

I watched the silent film Seven Footsteps to Satan (1929), which is an adaptation of an A. Merritt thriller about a supercriminal. The movie has a different storyline, as I knew going in, but it takes more from the book than I expected. The book's hero is a man of action, but the movie's is an ordinary guy who proves to have the right stuff at the climax.

Apparently the silent movie title is Seven Footprints to Satan.

That's the kind of change you wonder why they even bothered to make it.

The guy in the book was pretty freaked out at the beginning so he seemed fairly ordinary to me.

Thanks, Richard. I hadn't noticed that. It's the title of the book as well.

I saw Jurassic World tonight at a great brewpub/restaurant/movie theater in town. It was exactly what I thought it would be, and it was exactly what I wanted it to be. I remember seeing Jurassic Park on the big-big screen at a drive-in back in my hometown, where the dinosaurs were the actual size of dinosaurs. This called me back to that evening in 1993. I loved the call-backs to that movie. They weren't gratuitous; it was more like the natural progression. This was popcorn at its finest.

...I was in the hospital , AGAIN , briefly , they had TCM ~ I saw all of one (+ some others) relating to Christopher Lee's death which will form the basis of a planned major line of mine , and I saw the last half of Tod Browning's?? 1930s version of SHOW BOAT which WAS , in fact , REALLY WONDERFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As its' reputation says :-) ~ And , in fact , was weirdly shadowy/darkly-lit for a 1930s musical (Even a famed " groundbreaking , serious-type " one) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have cable. Any station planning a Lee Dracula marathon? You'd think someone would (even though the last couple that take place in the present day are terrible.)

The original Fail-Safe. I've seen bits and pieces of it, but finally watched it from beginning to end. It starts off slow, but once it's going, it's spellbinding ... and scary. Four stars.

On TCM Monday I saw HORROR EXPRESS with Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Telly Savalas and a zombie caveman. It was a campy thrill-ride with Savalas chewing up the scenery, Lee playing it straight and Cushing with a twinkle in his eye!

Today I saw JURASSIC WORLD and I liked it a bit better than AGE OF ULTRON once you can get past the premise of the park being a viable reality after the last three pictures. A LOT of lawsuits here!  

Chris Pratt can print his own money now and Bryce Howard should be a contender for the lead of CAPTAIN MARVEL.

My only complaint is that there were so many references to JURASSIC PARK that I was expecting someone to steal embryos and for Jeff Goldblum to point out the flaws of the resort!

Interesting film but I found the sci-fi ending disappointing.

I don't see how they wouldn't be ordered to get rid of all of those dinosaurs and forbidden from making more if they wanted to stay out of prison by this point.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service