Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 38278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I watch a lot of bad horror movies in hopes of finding a few good ones. Recently I came across two very good ones:

The Babadook and It Follows are both low budget indie horror films that get it right.

Another low-budget movie you might want to check out -- more SF than horror, but cool suspense nonetheless -- is Plus One. It was available streaming on Netflix the last time I looked, and it's about a massive teen party that somehow gets duplicated in time, as events start repeating themselves after an hour with duplicates of all the partiers...and then the repeats start happening closer and closer to the actual events, and a collision is imminent. Really solid stuff, and the director stages things so that it's always clear what's going on (a trick for a movie like this).

Thanks, guys. I already had The Babadook on my Netflix list. Now I've added It Follows and Plus One.

Don't recommend trying to find them on Amazon unless you check very carefully. They're selling a lot of collections of the same films, some oldies with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi, and quite a few new amateur films released by a company called Echo Bridge. Now own two copies of Manos: The Hands of Fate, and that's two too many. Manos makes Plan Nine From Outer Space look like Star Wars.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Another low-budget movie you might want to check out -- more SF than horror, but cool suspense nonetheless -- is Plus One. It was available streaming on Netflix the last time I looked, and it's about a massive teen party that somehow gets duplicated in time, as events start repeating themselves after an hour with duplicates of all the partiers...and then the repeats start happening closer and closer to the actual events, and a collision is imminent. Really solid stuff, and the director stages things so that it's always clear what's going on (a trick for a movie like this).

Sounds good. I will check it out.

It's neat stuff. Don't expect the moon or anything, but it's really clever. 

We watched Plus One -- aka +1 --  yesterday. Very well done. A little on the raunchy side but I think the dialogue is probably authentic for teens today. Don't watch it with little kids.

Oh, no, definitely not! There's a naked woman with sushi being eaten off of her! 

Muhammad Ali's Greatest Fight.  It's a prestige HBO movie about how the Supreme Court dealt with Muhammad Ali's appeal over his conviction for refusing to join the Army after he got drafted, citing conscientious objector status. We see Ali only in footage from various interviews on news shows and talk shows, and some scenes from his fights at the time. Those punctuate the main action -- the deal-making between the justices and clerks as they take up the case, stake out their positions, and how some of the justices persuade the others to change their minds. If you want an inside look at how that stuff works, this is the movie to see. Otherwise, it's a glorified TV movie. 

Just saw The Punisher for the first time. Not bad. Certainly not the stinker I've heard people describe it as being.

Which Punisher? I saw that the Dolph Lundgren one was on TV last night.

There's another one?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service