Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 33355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

About the "semi-separate" nature of the MCU films: Yes, they go in different directions with different characters in films with wildly differing tones. Star Wars has focused on the same few characters and their bloodlines, while adding new ones that aren't particularly appealing. And the tone of Star Wars has been uncertain since the original trilogy ended.

Someone said by removing "of Mars" from the John Carter film marketing, they ended up with a title that sounded like a movie about an accountant.

Luke Blanchard said:

ClarkKent_DC said:

The Disney report counters the argument that Solo came out too close to The Last Jedi by saying if that were true "Marvel would be having even bigger problems, with four Marvel-branded films having come out in the last six months". That strikes me as fallacious. The Marvel film series are semi-separate.

Like Luke, I haven't seen Solo yet. I suspect that a lot of people have trouble seeing anyone in the role but Harrison Ford. They may intend to see the movie eventually but will wait for it to become available in other forms.

JD DeLuzio said:

Someone said by removing "of Mars" from the John Carter film marketing, they ended up with a title that sounded like a movie about an accountant.

It always made me wonder why they did a movie about one of the doctors from ER years after the show went off the air.

This.

Harrison Ford is why I love Han Solo. I've seen enough "lovable rogues" in my lifetime that I don't want to see any more. (Do you hear me, Fox/Disney? I do NOT want a Gambit film.) But I'll always watch Harrison Ford in anything.

Richard Willis said:

Like Luke, I haven't seen Solo yet. I suspect that a lot of people have trouble seeing anyone in the role but Harrison Ford. They may intend to see the movie eventually but will wait for it to become available in other forms.

We saw RBG, the documentary about the life and times of Supreme Court Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. It's an affecting story.

Ginsburg had a stellar career as a law student, serving on the Harvard Law Review and later the Columbia Law Review -- she transferred because her husband took a job in New York -- which didn't mean squat in a sexist world where law firms and judges wouldn't hire her because she is woman. The dean at Harvard Law School asked her and her fellow female students, "How do you justify taking a spot from a qualified man?"

These and other slights -- she got demoted from a job at the Social Security Administration because she got pregnant -- made her a crusader for women's rights and a feminist icon even before she was nominated to the bench. 

We see her making her rounds. She exercises regularly (although her trainer helps her complete pushups), works hard, and is a little befuddled at her newfound fame, especially at things like people getting tattoos of her face. We see her watch Kate McKinnon's portrayal of her on Saturday Night Live. She's amused, but a little abashed at it. 

RBG is a fine little movie, well worth checking out.

Incredibles 2.  Nailed it.

Yeah, Incredibles 2. Nothing more to say than "go watch it."

We watched M, directed by Fritz Lang and starring Peter Lorre. Utterly fantastic, and worthy of every great thing said about it. My wife noted that it was an obvious inspiration for Berlin Babylon, and I agree.

We also watched Alien: Covenant, which I feel was something of a retread -- nothing happened that I hadn't seen before, and it was distressingly easy to guess what was going to happen next. Did anyone not see the final twist coming a mile away? Still, I enjoyed it the way I enjoy a "Greatest Hits" album.

My wife, on the other hand, was genuinely distressed about the fate of the final two crewmen. That tells me that she got into it. Yes, she saw the twist coming, but it still set her off. "You just can't trust an android," she announced hours later, apropos of nothing.

Watched Kameradschaft (1931), about a mine on the Franco-German border. After a disaster on the Frenchside, a German rescue team volunteers to help. A nice film about international cooperation. Well-done, but a bit bittersweet, considering what we know happened next.

"You just can't trust an android," she announced hours later, apropos of nothing.

Yet another thing that only Bizarro The Lovely and Talented would ever say.

I finally saw Justice League this week.  Twice, actually -- once on my own and once with Action Lad. I was happy to discover that I enjoyed it, and even more so on the second watch.

We went to see that Fred Rogers movie yesterday.

I enjoyed it and I think Tracy did, too.

Saw Ant-Man and The Wasp. Awesome!

I had a less enthusiastic response to Ant-man and the Wasp. It felt like more of the same with more effects, more Wasp, and a less interesting plot. Passable summer entertainment, but, as I saw it, not much more.

I've also seen Battle of the Sexes, which is well-acted, well-made, but it cleans up the True Story, and Before I Fall, last year's popular "I was a teenage Groundhog Day" film, which, to quote my own review, is " a sporadically entertaining PG-14 After-School Special, Frankenstein-stitched together from the corpses of superior films."

Captain Comics said:

Saw Ant-Man and The Wasp. Awesome!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service