Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In Japanese Buddhist  mythology, the Sanzu River separates the land of the living from the land of the dead.  There are three crossings - a bridge, a ford, or a stretch of deep, snake-infested water.  The weight of sin on your soul determines which crossing you get to use.

So, "Styx" is a reasonable translation.

[That was a typo... really!]

Jeff of Earth-J said:

A more accurate translation of the Japanese title would be "Perambulator...

As a guy who came to the U.S. from the U.K. at 4 with two English parents, I know what a perambulator* (or "pram") is. Most Americans wouldn't. So....baby cart.

*First time I've ever seen it written

You know what they say...

It's a busy life in Camelot
I have to push the pram a lot

Just watched The Invasion (2007) on a rented BluRay disk. It's the fourth version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. It was terrific! Thanks to Jeff for telling us it existed,

I was tickled that Veronica Cartwright, who had a major part in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) was also in this one. She was also in the original Alien (1979) and played a young victim of The Birds in the 1963 movie (pictured below). I still have to watch Body Snatchers (1994) on Prime video.

We plan to watch all four of the "Body Snatchers" movies soon, but I want to get through some of the series we're watching now (Hitchcock, Elvis, Godzilla) first. 

I'm sure you know that Veronica Cartwright is the sister of Angela Cartwright of Lost in Space. (Until fairly recently, I thought they were one and the same.) There's a video on YouTube titled "Birds Without Birds" in which all the birds have been digitally removed. 

Have you received your "Timeless Horror" DVD yet? We watched another one last night.

I BURY THE LIVING:

"Through a series of chilling 'coincidences,' the newly-elected director of a cemetery (Richard Boone) begins to believe that he can cause the deaths of living owners of burial plots by merely changing the push-pin color from white (living) to black (dead) on a large wall map of the cemetery."

This is a decent little B-flick with a couple of twists at the end, but it has a lot of holes. ("It's just a show, I should really just relax.") Honestly, I'm not certain what I'm expected to believe. I liked it well enough, but Tracy liked it much more than I did. 

Near the end of the movie, Bob Kraft (Richard Boone) is running through the cemetery, standing over graves and snagging his trench coat on a tombstone. I said "This movie is the perfect answer to what in the heck kicked off Night of the Living Dead!" 

Actually, that was the Earth passing through the tail of a comet (but maybe The Walking Dead). 

I never caught that explanation at the end of the NotLD movie, because I am always too angry about the unnecessary murder of Ben (Duane Jones). 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I'm sure you know that Veronica Cartwright is the sister of Angela Cartwright of Lost in Space. (Until fairly recently, I thought they were one and the same.) There's a video on YouTube titled "Birds Without Birds" in which all the birds have been digitally removed. 

I didn't know they were sisters. You can never be sure with the names of actors. When I saw The Legend of Billie Jean (1985) I figured that Helen Slater (who went on to play Supergirl) and the now-famous Christian Slater, who played her short-fused younger brother, were siblings in real life. They aren't.

Believe it or not, I never watched Lost in Space. When it started I was beginning my senior year of high school. When it ended I was working at the job from which I ultimately retired. The month after it ended I was joined by the Army. Still living at home until after the Army, I think it was opposite something else either I or my mother wanted to watch. I didn't really get into watching TV much until the VHS took over, which was roughly 1977. Once VHS had definitely taken over I bought one. It came in really handy for recording shows when I either knew I wouldn't be home or wasn't sure about being home to watch shows.

Have you received your "Timeless Horror" DVD yet? We watched another one last night.

The eBay shipment is on schedule to be delivered this Monday.

I BURY THE LIVING:

"Through a series of chilling 'coincidences,' the newly-elected director of a cemetery (Richard Boone) begins to believe that he can cause the deaths of living owners of burial plots by merely changing the push-pin color from white (living) to black (dead) on a large wall map of the cemetery."

This is a decent little B-flick with a couple of twists at the end, but it has a lot of holes. ("It's just a show, I should really just relax.") Honestly, I'm not certain what I'm expected to believe. I liked it well enough, but Tracy liked it much more than I did. 

I saw this for the first time earlier this year, I think TCM. I liked it well enough and will rewatch it after the DVD set arrives.

Tracy of Moon-T said:

I never caught that explanation at the end of the NotLD movie, because I am always too angry about the unnecessary murder of Ben (Duane Jones). 

Going by memory and checking some sources, I'm pretty sure there was no explanation given for the reanimated corpses/ghouls. Somewhere along the way, the public started calling them zombies. Up until then, movie zombies were portrayed like The Mummy: reanimated (or just hypnotized) but moving really slow. Ghouls were the ones eating people, usually dead people.

The killing of Duane Jones' character is shocking. I think it's intended to make the audience wonder if they would have killed him without checking if he was white.

I always found the ending of Night of the Living Dead to be shockingly ironic, but Tracy firmly believes the "clean-up crew" knew he was human and shot him because he was black. 

"I think [Lost in Space] was opposite something else either I or my mother wanted to watch."

Lost in Space aired Wednesday nights at 7:30P on CBS. It was up against Ozzie & Harriet/Patty Duke Show (1965/66), Batman/The Monroes (1966/67) and Legend of Custer/Second 100 Years (1967/68) on ABC, and The Virginian all three seasons on NBC.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service