Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know that it's a common idea in sci-fi that once we have non-terrestrials to deal with, the differences between humans will seem less important, but I'm not so sure of that.

If interstellar travel becomes common and easily affordable, and a substantial number of habitable planets are found, I would not be at all suprirsed to see any number of colonies founded to be exclusive to a specific ethnic, political or mreligious group.

If the last few years have taught me anything, it's to not be overly opmistic about any future "maturation" of the human race.

I just watched a 1998 pseudo-documentary titled “World War Three”, which starts with the fictional overthrow and disappearance of Gorbie in the U.S.S.R., the strengthening of Soviet influence in East Germany, the shooting of West Berliners by Eastern troops firing over the wall into West Germany when the attempt to tear down the wall is attempted(and fails0. Words and troops are thrown at each other, escalation happens and, on March 31st 1990, the buttons are pushed. The movie ends with the words “There is no further historical record of what happens next”.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Do you watch the TV show Supergirl? A couple of weeks ago one of the characters asked Brainiac 5 if things were any better in the 30th century. To mu surprise (and disappointment), his answer was basically, not really, no.

I'm a few episodes behind. The show doesn't attract me like it used to.

I did see the episode with Brainiac 5's comment. It bothered me, too.

James Cameron went on from Aliens to Avatar (2009). On of my friends was dismayed about "our troops" being wiped out by the people of the planet. I pointed out that those were not "our troops," but mercenaries hired to murder the people of that planet. F___ them!

Is that the one with Daniel Schorr?

Michael A Pinnick said:

I just watched a 1998 pseudo-documentary titled “World War Three”, which starts with the fictional overthrow and disappearance of Gorbie in the U.S.S.R., the strengthening of Soviet influence in East Germany, the shooting of West Berliners by Eastern troops firing over the wall into West Germany when the attempt to tear down the wall is attempted(and fails0. Words and troops are thrown at each other, escalation happens and, on March 31st 1990, the buttons are pushed. The movie ends with the words “There is no further historical record of what happens next”.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Do you watch the TV show Supergirl? A couple of weeks ago one of the characters asked Brainiac 5 if things were any better in the 30th century. To mu surprise (and disappointment), his answer was basically, not really, no.

Richard Willis said:

I'm a few episodes behind. The show doesn't attract me like it used to.

I did see the episode with Brainiac 5's comment. It bothered me, too.

I watch Supergirl regularly, but I admit it's lost its sparkle for me. But in the vein of anachronisms in stories set in the future, I recall the 2015 version of Prez, and how it lost me when it gave us a future in which the Constitution was amended to allow someone 18 years old to be elected president, but wasn't amended to get rid of the Electoral College.

Yes, it is.

The Baron said:

Is that the one with Daniel Schorr?

Michael A Pinnick said:

GAPPA - THE TRIPHIBIAN MONSTERS: I watched this one first (i.e., before Dogora) because JD and Bob really lowered my expectations, but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. I am certain I have seen the DVD cover to Monster from a Prehistoric Planet before, but I don't own it. I saw a $6 version and a $17 version online, but I bought the more expensive one also (although the cheap one had the cheesier cover). the one I got was widescreen and subtitled, no choice. I absolutely agree that it is a combination of King Kong and Gorgo, but I disagree with some of the harsher criticism expressed by my two fellow posters. Could our different experiences be based on the original version vs. the dubbed version? 

Up Next: Dogora

Currently watching "Wolf Blood" (1925) on Otherworld TV, a Roku channel.  It is a silent movie about a werewolf.  

DEAD MEN WALK (1943, b&w): I know I said Dogora was up next, but Tracy insisted on a B-flick. Despite the title, this movie is about a vampire, not zombies. George Zucco plays twin brothers. The movie opens with the funeral of one of the brothers, who later rises as a vampire. The vampire has a hunchbacked servant who is  more Igor than Renfield (or "more Fritz" I should say, because "Zolar" is played by Dwight Fry... who also played Renfield!). The movie hits all the standard points of vampire lore, except a stake through the heart is not mentioned; it has been replaced by death by fire. 

The living brother has a niece, of whom he is her guardian. Wouldn't that make the vampire the girl's father? I don't know; the relationship was not made explicit. In any case, the vampire preys on the girl. The girl has a fiance who suspects the uncle of being the vampire. A woman in town who looks like Elvira Gulch knows exactly what's going on, but the sheriff keeps her quiet with the threat of sending her "away." and there's an angry mob. the movie is a bit slow-moving (and not terribly suspenseful), but I liked it.

"Despite the title, this movie is about a vampire, not zombies."

So many different fictional realities have put their own stamp on vampire lore and what vampires are (Buffy & Angel, True Blood, Twilight, Anita Blake, etc.), that i have come up with a theory of my own: vampires and zombies are essentially the same thing, the undead, but vampires are more "evolved" than zombies. I plan to discuss this theory in more depth when Vincent Price's The Last Man on Earth comes up in sequence. 

Tonight's double feature is The Thing from Another World (1951) and The Thing (1982),

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service