Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 57982

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aren't you going to ask why I wish it was Lon Chaney's last film?

I was wondering why you didn't wish whatever movie he made before this was his last film.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Aren't you going to ask why I wish it was Lon Chaney's last film?

That's a good question.

The answer is that his actual last film, Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971), makes Indestructible Man look like a masterpiece of cinematic history. At least it has the benefit of Joe Flynn and Robert Shayne in supporting roles. I hate to think of the circumstances which led to Chaney making Dracula vs. Frankenstein

I've seen Indestructible Man before, but it wasn't exactly as I remembered it. I remembered Chaney's head atop a "Tin Woodsman" like torso. What movie was I thinking of...?

I remember seeing Dracula vs, Frankenstein on the Creature Double Feature when I was a kid.  It was awful.  Probably wouldn't even have worked for MST3K.

What you describe sounds a bit like the Robot in The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy..

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I've seen Indestructible Man before, but it wasn't exactly as I remembered it. I remembered Chaney's head atop a "Tin Woodsman" like torso. What movie was I thinking of...?

Fun fact! There are three movies called Dracula vs Frankenstein, all from the same era, and they all suck more than a trio of undead Transylvanian brides. The one with Chaney is the best of the lot.

Let that sink in.

My reviews of all three appear here.

"What you describe sounds a bit like the Robot in The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy."

Could be. I don't remember watching that movie specifically, but that phot looks familiar. It's quite possible this is the movie I was thinking of.

"Let that sink in."

Difficult to believe. You may have posted a link to that article in the past; in any case, the details (such as the biker flick footage) all came flooding back to me. I take you you have not yet located a copy of the third (Spanish) D. vs. F.

I take you you have not yet located a copy of the third (Spanish) D. vs. F.

No! I've seen at least half of the movie in clips, so maybe it's not fair to judge it but.... The clips suggest I'm probably  judging it fairly.

The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy is another film that found its way to the Satellite of Love.

Maybe that's where I saw it (if I saw it, I don't remember). 

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1923): I've been a fan of Carl Laemmle since I first saw Dracula and Frankenstein on Saturday afternoon TV as a kid, but i guess i didn't realize until recently that he had also directed the silent film versions of The Phantom of the Opera and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The cinematography of Hunchback is particularly impressive. 

Maybe.  It was from the show's first season, which was seldom re-run.  I didn't see most of that season's episodes until they were released on DVD.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Maybe that's where I saw it (if I saw it, I don't remember). 

Oh, no... not there then. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"A different sort of Hawkman cover by Joe Kubert from 2009. As I recall, back in the Silver Age…"
2 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"I search for misheard lyrics quite a bit on the internet. I needed help to figure out this misheard…"
4 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
14 minutes ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
48 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion The New Season (2022)
"I gave a try to Quantum Leap, and I'm not totally sold but am willing to give it at least one…"
9 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion How's 'that' situation going now?
"One time I picked up some tests from my local library and each box had a sticker on it with the…"
10 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion How's 'that' situation going now?
"This time last month I had a hospital-administered COVID test prior to my August 30 out-patient…"
12 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
13 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
14 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"Jeff of Earth-J said: I keep thinking what if DC stopped publishing the monthly series because they…"
14 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
14 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Meet the team... Easy Company "
15 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service