Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 43188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...the rest of the movie is going to have to work really hard to convince me that she's actually an OK person.... 

My point is she's not really a "person," but a non-human that learns to be human by the end of the movie.

We just watched Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets here in Casa Tigerchaser. It's a neat movie -- basically a hangout film in the final 24 hours in the life of a Vegas dive bar -- and its just perfect for a time like now, when I haven't wasted any afternoons/evenings among barflies in a long while. 

It's set in Vegas, and shot documentary-style, but the interiors of the bar were shot in New Orleans, and the customers were all cast from people the filmmakers spotted in NOLA bars...but then basically drank and improved with each other (mostly as "themselves") for a two-day shoot. (The bartender that opens the joint is actually the lead singer of a local band, Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes. I *thought* he looked familiar, but didn't place him outside of New Orleans!) It's a terrific little movie, shaggy and loose and with plenty to like about it. 

I watched Rogue One on Monday. It's pretty good for a movie based on a single line in a movie made about 40 years earlier. I thought the Tarkin and Leia CGI faces were not very well done, though. Tarkin looked older here than in Star Wars, and the "camera" lingered on Leia's face too long and exposed the "magic."

Yesterday, I saw The Rise of Skywalker. Too long, and I just can't stand the Kylo Ren character. Palpatine's return spoils Vader's redemptive sacrifice in Return of the Jedi.

So, for me, the proper viewing order for the Star Wars films is to start with the original movie and stop there. No more. I did enjoy The Mandalorian, though.

I watched The Rise of Skywalker a couple of weeks ago, apart from the other two, but I didn't post about it here. When I saw it the first time, in the theater, it struck me as the best of the most recent three. Although I still feel that way, it doesn't really stand well on its own apart from the others. I think with this trilogy, the producer definitely knew who the hero's parents were all along. I also like Revenge of the Sith the best of its trilogy, which is odd because I like Return of the Jedi the least of the original trilogy. I have to think of the six prequel/sequels as occurring in different continuities, otherwise the contradictions drive me crazy; I think of them as three unrelated trilogies. And Rogue One will never replace the first four chapters of NPR's Star Wars in my mind. 

NPR's version was fantastic!

I thought it The Rise of Skywalker was OK but not perfect, like all the other ones.  I'm bemused by the hardcore Wars-heads who take these pictures as seriously as religious believers take their scriptures.

For me Rogue One is right up there with Empire.

I thought the Solo movie got a raw deal. I liked it and I though it was better than anything the last 2 trilogies gave us.

After everything going on today, I needed a good laugh, so I watched 30 Minutes or Less. I'd watched it once before, but I didn't remember a whole lot about it. I think it was pretty damn funny. Jesse Eisenberg and Aziz Ansari make a good comedic duo. Danny McBride is playing the usual Danny McBride character, and it works well here. I recommend it.

Re The Lady Vanishes, the script was already written when Hitchcock was brought in. Wikipedia says changes were made to the script, but mainly at the beginning and end. Frank Lauder and Sidney Gilliat wrote a number of good-ish films together, sometimes directing.

The Baron said:

Yesterday I watched my favorite Christmas movie, Shin Godzilla.

In our house, "Godzilla" is shelved between "Gilmore Girls" and "Groucho."
That's a crossover I'd like to see!

Doctor Hmmm? said:

That's a crossover I'd like to see!

I see it playing like Cloverfield, but with Godzilla stomping through Stars Hollow, Connecticut. We encounter several series characters as Loralei and Rory try to escape, aided by a mysterious sharp-witted, cigar-smoking old man who was stranded by the daikaiju mayhem while passing through town.

SHIN GODZILLA: That's not a Christmas movie (not by my definition). I guess if you watch it on Christmas, any movie if a Christmas movie. I've seen it before (in the theater), but I thought maybe I missed something. Anyway, if nothing else, I understood the ending better the second time though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service