Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I took my daughters to see it and I enjoyed it as much as they did.

Don Collett said:
I finally saw Despicable Me the other night.  I wasn't expecting to like it, but it was funny and charming.
In the last few days, I've watched Eurotrip and The Wrestler. Eurotrip was another variation of Overnight Delivery or Road Trip. Kristen Kreuk was in the beginning of it. Michelle Trachtenberg was awfully cute in this movie. The Wrestler was everything I expected it to be. I've read so much about wrestlers of the past, though, that there was nothing surprising in the movie except for Ernest Miller having as big a part as he did.
Saw "Black Swan," which is weird beyond words. But if you want something really different (and a bit disturbing), it's worth a look.

...I saw Lionel Rogosin's 1956 " semi-realistic/documentary-drama " On The Bowery ( Which is not , actually , a " true " documentary , though it received an Oscar nod in the Acdamey's doc categories for that year of my folks voting for Ike , not Adlai <wink> ! - sort of " an improvised/modeled on real life " thing , complete ith what I guess might now be legally dubious use of hidden cameras/cameras in public places . ) .

It was set in New York City's then-notorious " mass alchoholism " slum , the Bowery - A DISTINCTLY pre-gentrified Fun City , hoo boy !!!!!!!!!!!

The B&W not-quite-a-full-length-feature-by-today's-standards ( About 65 minutes . ) was filled out to feature length w/a " the-making-of " companion from 2009 , The Perfect Team , a " behind the scenes " , I guess you could say a " DVD companion film " kind of thing .

Just got back from seeing the Fighter. I didn't rush to see this because I figured it was another boxing movie. Well, it's not. Sure it's about boxing but it's a bit deeper than that. Check this one out.
I watched the Director's Cut of Blood Simple, the first Coen brothers movie. I don't think I've seen it before (or it was so long ago I barely remember), so I can't comment on how the Director's Cut differs from the original. But it's a very good mystery, full of memorable characters and double-crosses. I'd say it's an impressive first film, and worth a look.
We watched Exit Through the Gift Shop the other night. A really terrfiic movie, and I'm still trying to decide how much of it was a put-on.

Is there a commentary on the DVD? From what I recall, they have a commentary from a noted film historian on one printing of that disc -- except the historian is someone they made up out of whole cloth.

That movie also has one of my favorite lines in all of cinema -- a great little obscenity from M. Emmet Walsh analogous to poking one's nose where it doesn't belong.

Mark Sullivan said:

I watched the Director's Cut of Blood Simple, the first Coen brothers movie. I don't think I've seen it before (or it was so long ago I barely remember), so I can't comment on how the Director's Cut differs from the original. But it's a very good mystery, full of memorable characters and double-crosses. I'd say it's an impressive first film, and worth a look.
There was no commentary on the version I watched, I don't think. It was a stripped-down edition. I'm guessing it's a recent reissue which the library system bought to replace older copies that were stolen, lost, or worn out.

Rob Staeger said:

Is there a commentary on the DVD? From what I recall, they have a commentary from a noted film historian on one printing of that disc -- except the historian is someone they made up out of whole cloth.

That movie also has one of my favorite lines in all of cinema -- a great little obscenity from M. Emmet Walsh analogous to poking one's nose where it doesn't belong.

Mark Sullivan said:

What is this about? I've been wondering.

Rob Staeger said:
We watched Exit Through the Gift Shop the other night. A really terrfiic movie, and I'm still trying to decide how much of it was a put-on.

Exit is a documentary about street artists, especially the very famous British "Banksy".  The "storyline" has a French film maker following street artists as they do their thing at night in various large cities.  He tracks down Banksy and, inspired, becomes a street artist named Mr. Brainwash in LA.  There has been a lot of talk that Mr. Brainwash could be Banksy as Banksy's face is always hidden and his voice is altered.  It's up for an Oscar, so it should be interesting to see what happens and who goes on stage if it wins Best Documentary.  The whole thing could be an elaborate Banksy act.  It's available for instant watching on Netflix.  It's a very interesting film no matter what the real story behind it is...

Here's an interview with Banksy about the film:

http://edendale.typepad.com/weblog/2010/12/banksy-yes-banksy-on-thi...

I saw In Cold Blood based on Truman Capote's book. It was made in 1967 and starred Robert Blake and John Forsythe. Man, it was grim, gritty and raw. It made you want to join a vigilante mob or something.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service