Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 44264

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really liked both of these movies, too.

JD DeLuzio said:

Love, Actually: Somehow we missed this, uh, seventeen years ago. Amusing British movie, good cast. Hug Grant makes an excellent, unlikely British PM. Parodic views of American and Portuguese culture, even for humorous purposes, wears a little thin, perhaps because it feels out of context in this film.

I rather liked the meta-bit where one of the plots concerns a horrible rendition of "Love is All Around," given that writer/director Richard Curtis's first success was Four Weddings and a Funeral, a great little film that drew flack for its soundtrack's rendition of that song.

THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP ZOMBIES (MST3K): I have often said the best MST3Ks are the ones of movies that at least have some semblance of trying to be good, but here's an exception. This movie has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, yet the jokes are so funny Tracy and I both found ourselves laughing out loud throughout, her at some jokes, me at others, usually both of us. I had expected something along the lines of Night of the Walking Dead, but this movie is so not that.

Interestingly enough, I have a copy of Night of the Living Dead with Mike Nelson doing a commenatary.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP ZOMBIES (MST3K): I have often said the best MST3Ks are the ones of movies that at least have some semblance of trying to be good, but here's an exception. This movie has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, yet the jokes are so funny Tracy and I both found ourselves laughing out loud throughout, her at some jokes, me at others, usually both of us. I had expected something along the lines of Night of the Walking Dead, but this movie is so not that.

I have that too! 

I also saw the Rifftrax Night of the Living Dead at the movie theatre (remember those?) and he did a few of the same jokes!

The Baron said:

Interestingly enough, I have a copy of Night of the Living Dead with Mike Nelson doing a commenatary.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I re-watched this last night.

My favorite bits:

1)The awful food that Pearl feeds the Space Children.

2)"You feelthy peeg!"

3)"Get your tickets here! Get you tickets here!"

4)"This is Herbie the Misfit Elf."

Jeff of Earth-J said:

PRINCE OF SPACE (MST3K): This is one like I was talking about yesterday, one that actally tries, I think, to be a good movie. I had stopped watching first run MST3K by this season (and I only ever watched tapes dubbed by my friend, anyway), so all these are new to me. I'm not sure what happened to the "Mads," but we FF over all the non-movie bits, anyway. This was another good one; two complete different movies, two funny treatments.

You skip the host segments? Heresy!  ;)

As for what happened to the Mads, the actors left the show and were replaced.  Or you could read this.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

PRINCE OF SPACE (MST3K): This is one like I was talking about yesterday, one that actally tries, I think, to be a good movie. I had stopped watching first run MST3K by this season (and I only ever watched tapes dubbed by my friend, anyway), so all these are new to me. I'm not sure what happened to the "Mads," but we FF over all the non-movie bits, anyway. This was another good one; two complete different movies, two funny treatments.

THE GODFATHER CODA: It has a different beginning, a different ending, has been re-edited and Sophia Coppola and Talia Shire recorded some new lines. To tell you the truth, it's been so long since I've see The Godfather, Part III that I didn't spot the change to the beginning, nor did I notice anything new or different about the edit (and I didn't spot any new dialogue, either). The ending is different... slightly. I'm not disappointed; I liked this movie to begin with. I think it bears a lot of similarities to it predecessors, particularly the bloodbath occurring simultaneously with another, quite different event (a Christening in The Godfather and an opera in Coda), and the movie taking place against an historical backdrop (the Cuban Revolution in Part II and the death of two successive Popes in Coda). It's the weakest of the three, but it's not that bad. 

"You skip the host segments? Heresy! "

Normally I wouldn't, but we've got a backlog of recordings we're trying to clear, and doing so helps us get through them faster. Watching too many host segments too close together results in "much of a muchness."

"Or you could read this"

I remember when you posted it, but i didn't read past point I was familiar with.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The Godfather, Part III ....... I liked this movie to begin with.

I knew somebody must have liked it. So you were the one.

If you did fast forward over the host segments, then you missed the only exterior shot in the program's history.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I saw that and asked, "How did they get off the satellite?" Tracy didn't know but we didn't go back to find out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service